5.0 out of 5 stars No Superstars But Still A Super Show
Published 16 months ago by Rock Dinosaur

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Published 3 months ago by Shailen

5.0 out of 5 stars No Superstars But Still A Super Show, 22 Dec 2012
I've always loved this musical primarily because of its rock roots and the fact that not one song within could be considered a filler. So, I was exceptionally cynical when the usual "Let's Find A Third Rate No Talent X Factor" format was applied to find a lead for the arena tour. Similarly, on discovering that stage luminaries such as Chris Moyles and Mel C would also be part of the show I didn't buy tickets. However, my wife and friends did and I was subjected to weeks of chiding as I had missed "the best performance she had ever seen of JCS". With this constant chirruping in my ears I had no choice but to buy her it on Blue Ray DVD as soon as it was released.

Having just watched it I will now live to regret that I didn't buy a ticket as the full show is stunning. The stage set is simple but varied, the musicianship from the band is excellent and the cast are all fantastic. Tim Minchin in particualr steals the show for me as his acting and vocal performances are jaw dropping. Where has he been hiding for the last couple of years? Even my initial cynicsm over the appointment of Ben Forster as JC has been washed away as he is outstanding as demonstrated by his strong performance of Gethsemane-stunning to watch and very emotive. Mel C also acquits herself well as do the secondary cast members playing Herod, Pilate and the Apostles. The disc also has behind the scenes extras that are quite interesting and give an insight into the whole set up, lighting, design etc.

Grudgingly, I can't recommend it enough and will bite my tongue next time a "Let's Find A Third Rate No Talent X Factor" show is on as the result for this stage show has definitely been a triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Superstar, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar - Live Arena Tour 2012 [Region 2/4/5] [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I should disclose from the start that Jesus Christ Superstar has always been my favourite musical. I have seen many productions over the years and usually find something to love about each. This particular production, though, had a beauty and an impact for me that was quite exceptional and it will be a joy to be able to watch it again on DVD.

I saw the show in Glasgow on its tour around the UK rather than at the O2 and there were none of the sound / mic problems reported from the London shows - perhaps the smaller scale of the regional venues helped to control the sound more effectively or perhaps the technical teething problems had simply been resolved. The modernisation of the setting and design may not appeal to those who like their apostles in robes and sandals but it created an immediacy and a tension all of its own and some of the images created on the stage (and on the screen behind) were quite stunning. The portrayals of the Crucifixion and Judas's death in particular had a savage beauty quite unlike any I had seen in previous productions.

The incorporation of some sensational lighting effects and the newsreel / cinematic links on the screen also helped to create a truly multi-dimensional quality to the production. This, together with a top-whack band and the clever direction gave the show terrific pace and energy.

There has been much press coverage of the casting for this show but I found all of the performances strong, compelling and emotionally authentic. The lead trio of Judas, Mary and Jesus (Tim Minchin, Melanie C and Ben Forster) were particularly impressive and each in turn moved me to tears.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Feb 2013
I saw the original show way back when and have the film version on video (showing my age). So when this new arena version became available I had to buy it. It's very different (although the music/songs are the same) and adds a new modern slant to the story. I love it-the performances of all lead roles are just brilliant-if you love JC Superstar you'll love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Christ Super 5 Stars, 20 Jan 2013
S. Elson "bookworm" (bristol, england) - See all my reviews
Having watched the Andrew Lloyd Webber search for Jesus show, I really wanted to see this Musical.
Decided to wait for the DVD. Watched it last night and WOW!! Great catchy songs, outstanding cast and Ben Forster is certainly the right choice for the lead. Favourite songs are Whats the Buzz and The Temple.
Finding the DVD in high street shops at prices over 12 I bought it in the January sale on Amazon at a brilliant bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 14 Jan 2013
J. Wincott (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I own the original (desert) DVD and have seen the original live show a number of years ago (not this version). This interpretation is excellent, perhaps grittier than previous ones I've seen. Recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed this amazing musical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 7 Jan 2013
Staging very clever, orchestrations excellent, acting and singing certainly up to expectations. Overall a most enjoyable show and exceeded my expectations. In fact so enjoyable that I am going to see the show, on its second tour, at the MEN Arena in March.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!!! Going to see the live thing again!, 17 Dec 2012
Cannot recommend enough!! Buy buy buy!!! Tim minchin is brilliant, as is Ben forester. Even better as I'm in the audience on the DVD :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 Nov 2012
Saw the arena tour. Makes a fab souvenir. Well filmed, Can see the nuances missed at the time. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Nov 2012
This DVD is fab...saw the arena tour 02 ...breath taking ...it helps if you love musicals ..but I think many people will enjoy this if they love the story of Jesus anyway ....Lloyd and Rice ....geniuses ....I could wax lyrical all day ...a great present idea for anybody who couldn't see the tour .....Jesus Christ Superstarmjust gets better and more rewarding for me each time I see and hear it...Not everybodies cuppa tea ....but for me it is ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Jan 2014
As a huge fan of Jesus christ superstar, I have to say as expected the music and vocals are fantastic. However, this is a lazy stage production with boring unimaginative costumes and set design that doesn't do the story or music justice. The main actors are very reserved which works ok in some aspects but I kept waiting for more passion. All in all, a bit too glossy and lacking the passion and spirit of the original productions.

ARRAY(0xadc772b8)