5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, funny and very enjoyable!
I love books like this - full of quirkiness and wacky illustrations that really enhance the readability.

But don't let that mislead you - there is some well thought out, practical business advice and thought-provoking ideas on persuasion, communication and presentation of yourself and your products.

Yes it does take a light-hearted approach but that...
Published 16 months ago by B. Towns

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, positive, but bland
I found this an undeniably positive but rather bland book, offering tips that were a mix of common sense, the pretty obvious and the utterly banal - e.g. "Play to your strengths", "Choose to be positive", "Your mind is beautiful thing. But, oh boy, it's also very complex".

Published 20 months ago by The Fisher Price King

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, funny and very enjoyable!, 26 Mar 2013
B. Towns (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Yes it does take a light-hearted approach but that gives the book its charm.

It also makes all the typical stodge one reads on similar topics look badly thought out and badly presented, by comparison.

A quick, easy read - lots of fun and for the price - what's not to like?

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 16 July 2013
This review is from: The Art of Being Brilliant: Transform Your Life by Doing What Works For You (Kindle Edition)
I started this book and didn't close it till I had read the whole thing
Some great points and many topics I could relate to!
Definitely a book to recommend....

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, positive, but bland, 23 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I didn't think it offered anything new, and the design suggests it is a children's book (which it is not), especially the illustrations.

Some examples of the sort of thing found inside:

- An invitation to write down twenty things you want to do before you die
- Inspirational quotations (Mark Twain saying "the best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up", an anonymous source claiming that "the average child laughs about 400 times per day, the average adult laughs only 15 times per day. What happened to the other 385 laughs?')
- Instructions for how to create a "happy button" on your hand that you can press in an emotional emergency
- A story about a performing elephant that won't run away from the circus because it is suffering from "learned helplessness" (a good phrase, but not the authors'; they take it from Martin Seligman, as they readily acknowledge)
- Advice to go on a favourite walk and notice ten things you haven't noticed before.

Undoubtedly some of this could be useful in focusing the mind on more positive thoughts, and the tone of the book is genial and inoffensive, so it is hard to dislike, but it's not likely to make anyone "brilliant" and I dispute the claim on the cover that "humour and wisdom drip from every page". It strikes me as a sane, sensible book but in no way revelatory.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 23 Jan 2014
I have always avoided this kind if book but was recommended it by a friend. I'm so glad I gave it a go!!! It will inspire you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking read, 19 Jan 2014
Really enjoyed reading this. Makes you think twice, three and four times about things! Well worth reading if you're looking to take a different perspective on life.

5.0 out of 5 stars positive!, 8 Aug 2013
Everyone should own a copy and dip into it on a regular basis! Food for thought and easy to digest!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 1 July 2013
Lovely book to inspire you to move forward with your life, written in an easy way, would recommend it to everyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Mildly patronising 'positive thinking' advice, 12 Nov 2012
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first quote on the first page of this book from publisher Capstone (from Paul McGee, who is also a Capstone author) describes the book as 'irreverent, inspiring and engaging.'

Unfortunately, I found the book to be 'patronising, facile and disappointing.'

On the Contents page, we have some cute diagrams/pictures describing what each chapter is about. For example, the chapter about 'Fishing for life' has a child-like image of a stick man fishing. Chapter 2 about 'Shiny happy people' has three stick people who are all smiling. This is all well and good, but I did find that the advice within the book was delivered in a similarly childish manner too.

The book is supposedly full of short, clever stories (akin to business parables) and inspiring quotes. You might be the kind of person who likes books written by authors who write stories about their personal trials and tribulations (eg running training courses that didn't go well, having conversations with children, or even their own recollections of life when they were themselves children). Unfortunately, I'm sorry that I didn't find the stories inspiring and instead found them distracting from the sometimes good points that the authors could otherwise have made.

DO read this book if you're a fan of inspiring quotes and pithy stories or if you like NLP-type books.

DON'T read this book if you like more scientific wisdom (eg of the Richard Wiseman 59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot type) or if you think that NLP is a bit hokey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book!, 27 April 2014
A. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the type of book that I needed at this time of my life and once I started reading it I could not put it down till I finished it.
Well written with clarity and humour to keep it interesting. From my experience I had whatever I wanted a few years ago and to be honest more than what I wanted but they did not make me happy and it looks like that I wanted more and more with desperation and anxiety.
This book reminded me that I need to stop every now and than to smell the flowers. My aim is to read this book once every year. I have the kindle version and also the audio version of this book so I can listen to it whenever I am walking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational! 6 steps to make your life positive and brilliant!, 16 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this book and was left with a lot of good ideas at the beginning of the year for making resolutions and easy changes to my life daily life. The book is very readable and I liked the examples, stories and pictures. I'm not sure if my alarm clock in the morning will ever be an 'opportunity clock' but I have already used lots of the suggestions in the book.

My only criticism would be that within the chapters the 6 life changing steps aren't laid out clearly enough. It's not until you get to the end that you have a clear idea of what you need to do, and then I needed to go back over earlier chapters to check out the detail. However, the book is well worth reading, using as a daily reference for inspirational thinking and is life changing!