5.0 out of 5 stars A significant impact on my grass pollen hayfever.
Published 13 months ago by S J TALTON

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy
Product is fine but you cannot buy replacement filters for love or money so very soon it's pointless.

Proper fraud selling something that requires consumables that you can't actually buy.
Published 4 days ago by David Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars A significant impact on my grass pollen hayfever., 4 Aug 2013
Despite using prescription strength anti-histamine pills, eye drops, and wrap-around spectacles, my hay-fever from grass pollen worsened in Spring 2012 and Spring 2013. The major impact on me being very sore eyes. I therefore reviewed various Hay-fever websites and the Amazon recommendations on several different Air Purifiers, and decided to purchase one of the more expensive units. The Delonghi AC100 40W Compact, is the size of a large briefcase, has 3 speeds, and a timer that switches off the unit after a period of time. I bought it to help me relax in the late evening and to sleep at night. Prior to purchasing it, despite the measures stated above and a shower, my eyes would be very sore in the late evening and my nose would be blocked. They would also be in a similar state on waking in the morning. Since having the Air Purifier, I place it in whichever room I plan to relax in and switch it on to maximum speed for an hour. Within a few minutes I start to notice that my nose clears and more importantly for me, my eyes do not become sore. I move the unit to my bedroom just before I go to bed and leave it on for a couple of hours at slow speed (which is very quiet). The result is that I awake in the morning without tired eyes and without a sore throat. For my particular type of grass pollen hay-fever, this product is absolutely excellent! I very much hope that this review helps other hay-fever sufferers to assess whether this product might work for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than other purifiers, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Delonghi AC230 80 Watt Compact Air Purifier 5 Level Filtration and Ioniser - White/ Grey (Kitchen & Home)
I am very happy with this air purifier, for the reasons mentioned below. I will come back with a review after 6 months, to describe the reliability of the product.

Before buying this air purifier I have compared several other ones. I believe that this offers the best quality and that it is also cheaper than other purifiers, when considering the cost of replacement filters and energy consumption.

Advantages:
- Unlike other products, it has a washable pre-filter, thereby prolonging the life of the HEPA filter.
- The HEPA filter has a recommended replacement period of 6 months (I will have to check this claim). Additionally, the purifier covers a room of 80 sqm. This means that the price spent on replacing filters will be much less than for other purifiers. E.g. Filtrete FAP03 covers only 34 sqm and filters need to be replaced every 3 months. This translates in an annual filter cost almost four times lower for the DeLonghi purifier!!!
- The AC230 purifier has an on/off button for the ionizer function. I prefer to keep it off, as all ionizers generate ozone which is toxic. The ionizer function cannot be turned off for other purifiers (e.g. Fellowes PlasmaTrue)
- It has a carbon filter which can eliminate smells and chemicals.
- It has filters which are supposed to destroy bacteria - silver filter, UV light.
- At the low fan speed, it is very quiet. You can hear it but the sound is not disturbing. I cannot fall asleep with too much noise or light, but I don't have problems with this purifier.
- The air quality light looks nice at night and it can be turned off if it is bothering me.

Disadvantages:
- My main concern is reliability. I don't know if the company really took the time to fix problems which appear after long use. The English translation has a paragraph in Italian, which looks careless.
- Although the air quality light can be turned off, the menu lights cannot. I think that they are quite bright at night. I use a small towel to cover them.
- The device is quite large but the design is ok at it is quite easy to move around the house, although you need two hands to grab it.

Tests
Being sceptical by nature, I've tried to test how well it works. I've used a match to light a candle near the filter. The smoke went in and nothing came out. However, the smell disappeared only after a few minutes.

The six months evaluation will be coming up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a good buy, 12 Feb 2014
This item arrived today - I bought it to replace a Filtrete 02, which had begun to have a fault with the control switch. In addition, though it doubtless did a reasonable job, it did not have an ionoser, and had a fair number of critics on the web.

The DeLonghi arrived in its box, but no extra packaging - presumably so that Yodel could identify it as fragile, and wouldn't throw it round the depot. Packaging within was ok, with copious manuals - two of which are, interestingly, identical. Slight packing error, maybe?

It's not tall, but its width is more than you would expect from its height - making it look slightly squarish in appearance in your room. But it's got reasonable looks, which are considerably increased by the splash of colour the air quality monitoring provides (one of three colours).

It decided my air was dirty, which was slightly alarming, since everything else had always said it was clean. But it cleaned it within 10 minutes, and it remains a steadfast blue (good quality) since then. It has a timer, which I use to operate it in one hour slots every few hours - no point leaving it on all the time if it says the air is already good quality - there is nothing for it to do in that case except waste electricity.

All in all, a good buy, and very quiet on auto - I had to walk to within a foot of it to be sure it was even switched on.

I think I've made a good purchase for the price, especially since it is full RRP (250!) from a catalogue shop on the high street.

If you have the cash spare, go ahead and buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well designed and effective device, 23 April 2013
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's rare that I get so enthusiastic about a domestic appliance, but I absolutely love this impressive and attractive device!

I experience occasional asthmatic symptoms and my lady gets quite severe hay fever, starting around this time of the year. We've tried a small (tabletop) air purifier/ionizer before, which seemed to have negligible effect. Straight out of the box, the Delonghi AC100 struck me as a far more professional looking unit that clearly means business. At 15" x 18" x 8", it was somewhat bigger than I expected, but surprisingly light. Simple assembly of the filter, involves removing the front panel (which is held in place by a classy magnetic catch) and takes just a few seconds, then you're ready to go. The power lead is stored in a concealed compartment in the base (another nice touch). The controls on the top panel are touch-sensitive and beautifully responsive. You have a timer, ionizer and three fan settings, the lowest of which is whisper quiet and ideal for a bedroom.

But how effective is it? Well I've tried it in my living room, conservatory (where dust and mould collecting on the blinds has been a problem) and bedroom overnight. In every case, I can report that the rooms felt fresher and cleaner within perhaps 20 minutes of switching the device on.

There is an indicator to advise you when the filter needs replacing. It's supposed to last for around 720 hours - or approximately 3 months average use. At the time of writing this review, I cannot see replacement filters advertised in the UK, but a US site is selling them for $24, so I'm guessing they will cost around 20 here. Sounds a bit expensive, but when you consider that this unit will get much less use in the colder months of the year, I suppose that's not too high a price to pay if it helps you breathe and sleep more easily.

I don't know how much solid clinical evidence there is to support the bold medical claims made about air purifiers - that they can alleviate asthma and sleep apnoea, lower blood pressure etc. but I do know that my home feels more pleasant and relaxing with the unit in operation. And that can't be a bad thing!

Overall, I think this is a superb device. It's about as attractive as domestic appliances can get, beautifully designed and the first time you experience that wash of clean, cool air, you will wonder how you got by without one!

**** Update ****
The change filter warning light has just started flashing, so I got just over 5 months' of daily use out of it. Not bad at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge difference the quality of life of my 85 yr old COPD suffering dad., 16 Feb 2014
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My dad is 85 and has COPD (lung disease) and has been in and out of hospital lately.
He easily catches chest infections and these can be very dangerous.
He also is asthmatic and suffers from allergies which can set off his coughing which is very bad and persistent.
Dust, fumes, pollen, particles, hair etc all contribute towards hurting him, making his cough worse and can lead to breathing difficulties and a horrible quality of life and infection.
Since taking Nebulisers and other medication his mouth is always dry at night and he cannot sleep due to many reasons including this.

For some reason we all completely overlooked Air Purifiers, and decided to buy this one to see if it makes any difference. We didn't spend little as the cheaper units have poor reviews and we needed the unit to filter out particles as small as 0.3 Microns or whatever the unit is. We needed a HEPA and CARBON filter for the multi particles which need to be filtered.
I was looking to buy the Fellowes unit but that had a few negative reviews regarding build quality, and was about 30 more though spec wise it did have a greater power to filter per minute - but not considerable enough to warrant that, and besides, we had no idea whether it'd make any difference to my dad so took a punt and bought this, at the least it would be 160 down the drain (or so) and at the most it'd make a difference.
The Unit seemed large enough to cover the 17x17 ft of room he has.

And I must say, after buying this and putting it on Max for a few hours to clean his room up (after a thorough dust and clean) it made a noticeable slight difference to his day while in the room.

He puts it on in the morning when he awakes, and 2 hours Timer when he goes to bed, and once during the day - altogether about 6 hours a day, and the result after the second night has been HUGE.
He has no more dry mouth, and he can sleep after years of suffering.
His breathing is easier, coughing is considerably less, he looks better, feels better and the quality of his life has improved vastly.
COPD has no cure, and this hasn't cured it, BUT it has made breathing and living with the condition vastly better, and has given him a better quality of life, as the dust, particles and microbes which inflame and exacerbate his condition are filtered out, and this in itself means his lungs can work more efficiently and more healthier which means less pain and suffering and agony.
Sure, he still coughs and still has COPD and still uses his nebuliser and takes his medication and has the symptoms and handicaps which COPD brings - but his quality of life, quality of air, berthing and functioning has Improved significantly to make the outlay essential in our opinion.

The air in his room is cleaner, this also filters out harmful airborne bacteria, so for a COPD sufferer it is a must!

In use, it's quiet - very quiet at full speed at night, timer is easy to use - just press the butting to switch from no timer to 2, 4 etc and cycles back (illuminated with a light) speed is easy with pressing one touch button again.

We don't use the Ioniser unless dad is absent from the room as this can cause problem with COPD suffered if the ionised clumped particles are breathed in - but this Ioniser is used when he is out to thoroughly clean the room - and after dust has settled (with ioniser off) the room is dusted and filtered again.

It is a handsome unit, needs to be placed in the room so it has unobstructed input and output from front and top and sides.

All in all, very happy!

***UPDATE***

Had to dock a star as the unit failed 2 weeks after purchase - it went mad, started turning off and on at will then failed completely. Amazon great customer service meant a new one was on the doorstep the following day before I'd even sent the old one back.

***UPDATE*** It's April 4th and it is running fine and very effective! Great item, back up to 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, less sneezing and wheezing, 17 April 2014
Easy to set up straight out of the box; put the filters in and turn in on! Within minutes the air felt cooler and cleaner. I suffer from allergies and asthma, and got this to help keep dust and pollen under control, even though I clean regularly, this time of year (springtime) the pollen and dust is plentiful and I needed some relief. I have run this machine in my living room on high with the ionizer on during the night on the timer, and on low without the ionizer during the day (if you have asthma, do not use the ionizer whilst in the room), I notice less dust in the room and the quality of the air is better. I am not sneezing and wheezing anymore. So very happy I got this machine.

Positives:
Easy to set up straight out of the box; put the filters in and turn in on!
I like how quiet this machine is, even on the highest setting, you can still watch television without having to raise the volume.
Can turn the ionizer on or off.
Has a timer
Easy touch buttons
When not in use, the power cord is stored in the bottom of the machine.

Negatives:
The lights are super bright, but that doesn't bother us too much, as this is in the living room. We have a different brand air purifier in the bedroom. If you want this for the bedroom, be prepared to put a sheet of paper over the touch buttons.
This isn't a negative for me, and could be a positive in the summer- the room temp does cool down a bit when on the max setting. The fan creates a bit of a breeze, and you may want to be aware of where you place the machine in the room.
It's quite large, but I do like the shape and the silver front panel.

All in all, it's doing what I wanted it to do. I have less dust and the air I am breathing is cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars silent, 2 Feb 2014
this purifier is excellent. it has 3 modes and the lowest one is very silent. it does it job well. just hoping there will be available replacement filter when they are needed

5.0 out of 5 stars low noise high throughput, 18 Nov 2013
This is exactly what I wanted, easy to use, compact, light weight and very efficient. I can recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Air ya go!, 25 April 2013
tone1428 "Tone" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very attractive piece of electronics,pretty industrial looking and reasonably lightweight to carry from room to room.
It has sensor touchscreen controls for on/off, 3 speed settings and a selectable timer.
It also has a washable and re-useable pre-filter,which has to be a bonus,an ioniser for removing dust, pollen,smoke car and car fumes (in the house?)While the carbon filter removes certain gases and odours,and the HEPA filter removes dust particles.Both the Carbon and HEPA filters are replacable,which is a must for air purifiers! And it has a hidden cord storage system.
This Air Purifier is advertised as being an effective aid against allergies and asthma by the removal of Allergens and pollen etc.I cannot say that I would recommend it for people with these ailments but having done a little research the claims would certainly seem to have some truth in them.
Does it work? well its easy to prepare (takes less than a minute) and like my fellow Vine reviewer I tried it in a couple of different rooms and after a half hour or so we could really tell the difference as the dust etc,(though a new house ours is very dusty!) was removed from the air and was replaced by much fresher air!
Would I buy it? at 150 ish it is certainly a considered purchase but If I or any family member had certain allergies or was asthmatic I would certainly buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This has returned normal life to my husband!, 28 Feb 2014
L. Schofield "lms" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
My husband suffers with severe allergic reactions - despite specialist intervention from a consultant at the hospital, and significant medications -between February to August significantly, but often in a lesser form throughout the year. It all kicked off again this February - he had constant allergy symptoms, and was becoming unable to sleep because of being unable to breathe at night. Desperation took me to air purifier reviews, and despite being expensive, this looked worth a try...
The proof last night was that within 2 hours of the purifier switching off (on timer), he was unable to breathe and woke up in discomfort. Having switched it on again the air cleared, and he continued with a good night sleep...
The unit is the size of a briefcase, and to avoid having to move it around the house for relief during the evening, we'll be buying another one. It certainly works!!