on 2 December 2012
I'll admit I bought this purely for the looks - the GE9 is plated in a thin matt layer of 24K gold. The drive is all metal construction and with the large circular hole at the back, its easy enough to clip onto a keychain and there's little danger of it falling off. The underside is embossed with "Kingston" which helps in deciding which side is up. The USB contacts are at the other end and there is no cap to lose, you just push to insert the drive into a USB socket. After a bit of use, the gold plating at the connecter end does show a few signs of scuffing :-(

Kingston make three types of these DataTraveler drives (GE9, SE9, 109) and as far as I can tell, the innards are the same and it's only the external appearances which are different. (For a competing product, check out the Transcend T3 Gold - however, I don't like the exposed contacts on that)

GE9 - metal - gold - 8GB, 16GB
SE9 - metal - silver/champagne - 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
109 - plastic - various colours - 4GB, 8GB, 16GB

Read and write speeds (taken from expreview) suggest read speed of 19MB/s and write speed of 5MB/s which is slightly better than the average cheap USB stick. In my own measurements, when transferrng a 1GB file to and from the stick, I achieved speeds of 15MB/s for read and 3MB/s for writes. Part of the reason for the discrepancy might be that I have both disk encryption and anti-virus running. The Physical size is 1.5 inch x 0.5 inch x 0.2 inch.

Being all metal, the GE9 and SE9 are the ones to go for, and at most places I've checked, the SE9 is sold for a lower price than the same sized GE9, with the SE9 16GB model being the best value. The price difference may suggest that the gold is real after all!
on 6 January 2013
I have a couple of these now, the silver & the gold one (actually, I have one, the wifes' nabbed the other. I prefer the silver version but that's a matter of choice, the actual item itself appears to be exactly the same. Compared to plastic flash drives, this feels solid, with "Kingston" engraved on one side & the model etched on the other. It looks very classy.

This thing is small - the actual size is 39 mm x 12 mm x 5 mm. Bear in mind that the end is the size of your USB port. Until you actually see it out of it's packet, you don't appreciate how small it is - both will sit side-by-side on the top half of my thumb. Which can be a problem. More than once I've had to root around the bottom of the pocket in my laptop/briefcase to find it. So I've now put it on a lanyard so I can find it easier, which kind of defeats the object.

Transfer speed wise - seems comparable with other sticks, I haven't noticed any drop-off over a larger transfer than with any of my other flash drives or external hard drives. I'm sure someone will have the actual speeds, but in my world they're irrelevant - it's slow or good enough. This is better than good enough.

Would have been a 5-star but the small size is slightly irritating if you have sausage fingers like me. The wife loves it, but she's almost a foot shorter than me & has delicate little pinkies!!
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
I have one in silver colour and it's great. Wonderful modern and sleek design. However, I must say it's almost too small! I had to attach a piece of string (or keyring) to it, not to lose it... which does kinda take away from the fanciness of it. Duh. Next time I think a bit larger USB stick will be my choice. I love the fact you don't need a cap though, but it's bit weird when the whole thing goes into the port and you can't be sure how deep to push it.
on 17 May 2014
The design of the USB stick is very nice: it is very small and compact.

However, the data transfer rate is awful for large amounts of data. The transfer starts with a good speed, but quickly slows down, up to the point where it may take 5-10 minutes to transfer a few GB.

Furthermore, because of the metal casing, the USB stick heats up when inserted in the computer. It is still okay to touch it and take it out, but not by much.

Would not recommend.
on 12 November 2012
Kingston DTGE9 DataTraveller 16GB.

I tested the read and write speed as follows by copying a very large 3.6GB single file to and from the device.

READ: 15.5MB/s - so about 4 mins to read a large 3.6GB file.
WRITE: 4.4MB/s - about 14mins to write 3.6GB.
This means it's a Class 6.

Size: About as big as the top of your thumb. It' small and handy on your keyring - with a decent loop. (plenty of other makes have stupid nipples with barely enough room to loop onto keys) It's the same size as the USB port across and widthways. Certainly fast enough for me to be happy with and with plenty of storage. I really like it.

TIPS:
- Don't forget to ENCRYPT any sensitive data for WHEN you lose the device (better to think you will lose it at some point than leave yourself open). For this, I fully recommend the free-cross platform Opensource TRUECRYPT (to find it google TuCOWS and TRUECRYPT).

- Think about using Google Drive/SkyDrive for storage of ready access documents if you haven't already.

All in all a good buy.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2015
Great little stick, picked it as I wanted it to go onto my keyring and I didn't want the worry of a USB stick with a useless plastic ring snapping off and me not noticing I'd lost it for several days. Nor the hassle of having some massive chunk of plastic getting in my way, this thing is seriously small. There are no parts that can go missing like a cap, and it's not over engineered with retractable parts.

I won't go into details about speed, but it's fast enough for me. I have YUMI installed on it with about a dozen flavours of Linux set up and it works fine.

One star deducted for the fact that the very first time I plugged it in to a USB port it became scratched, but can live with that due to the reasons above.
review image
on 23 July 2013
kind of smaller than i expected, was a tight fit into my female port (lol) but works well so far.
it should be called a 15GB though, all "16GB" flash disks should!!

Happy Kingston Customer :)

----
----

Sad to report that after going beyond the return date for this item, it stopped performing as it should

First it became a read-only device, I could see what I saved on it but couldn't cut nor write to the device.
Second, and this is a day after the above review, the flash stopped responding completely, I am requested by Windows to perform a format and as much as I try to from various other computers and laptops, it just cannot be used again.

I am so disappointed, less than 2 months of moderate use and I cannot use nor return it. my Sony 16GB lasted over 2 years till it got stolen and I thought I could try Kingston for a change. I doubt I can get a replacement so my review remains at 1 star.
review image
on 23 March 2014
It gets scratched as you take it out of the usb slot, it's a real shame because it looks so lovely. I also got the silver that does the same too. The result is a dull metal underneath being exposed.
on 3 December 2013
Fantastic value,well made piece of apparatus. I have the gold and the silver models and am delighted with their construction and performance. I have a multitude of pictures,documents and songs safely recorded on both sticks and there is an abundance of extra space. Data transfer is so quick and positive. I would consider them to be the best I have used and I will certainly be having more. I recommend them very high in quality and they look so good too next to my MacBook.
on 14 July 2014
Very slow transfer of data. Stopped working after a couple of weeks. Lots were bought on bulk order at work and have tried three now, all have the same problem.