Format: Audio CD|Change

This is an excellent album. I have rather lost track of Maddy Prior in recent years, but I stumbled across this and decided to give it a try. I am very glad I did.

Maddy Prior is still a great singer. Her voice has matured a little in the forty-odd years since I first heard it and is slightly fuller and more husky - and all the better for it, in my view. It has lost none of its power when needed and she can still give real meaning to a song. She has chosen two fine musicians in Giles Lewin and Hannah James to join her on this record and their fiddle, accordion and singing really add something special.

The songs are an eclectic mix, and the effect is great. The traditional English songs took me right back to the time I spent more pocket money than I could afford on Hark! The Village Wait and played it incessantly. Others are from elsewhere or newly written and all are very good. Several songs are from Eastern Europe and are simply magical: Nantine is sung in a capella harmony and has the deeply moving feel of a Slavonic liturgy. Ganiko Horo, by contrast, is a brisk instrumental with slip-rhythms and gypsy, almost klezmer-sounding melody and harmonies. It makes a great programme when played as a whole and the album never drags or begins to sound samey.

This album was a revelation to me - it's terrific stuff, superbly performed. Very warmly recommended.
on 6 March 2013
Whether solo or collectively Maddy Prior has come a long way since since the 2 volume Folk Songs of Olde England in 1969 made with Tim Hart and this CD with Hannah James of the Carnival Band and accordeonist and Giles Lewin is like a pot pourri of all the musics she's been involved with even reviving the idea of Scred Harp music which was the sound of Gaudette one of the 2 Steeleye Span hits of the early 70s with a song called Wondrous Love first made by Sandy & Jeanne Darlington in the 60s
on 10 May 2013
Another Classic for the collection for any Maddy Prior lover. Well up to scratch. Voice has matured of course but still spot on.
on 31 October 2013
Not a great album like Maddy's work in the past (Year, Flesh & Blood, Ravenchild), still has some good tracks to listen.
Must have for Maddy's fans. The rest will enjoy it (or not, depends on your love to folk music).
on 5 April 2013
We love Maddy, so are happy to have bought-play this...

My wife in particular plays it on CDP in kitchen, and I hear it/her singing along ...
on 9 December 2012
Excellent quality album as usual from Maddy. Her vocals never cease to amaze me. We have all her albums and this one ranks up there with the rest.
on 5 January 2013
Usual superb music from Maddy Prior. This CD is up there with the rest. Having collected all of her music, both with Steeleye and others, her music covers all ages.
on 2 August 2014
Good listening in part but a bit of jumble of styles
on 7 February 2013
This is lovely, when I can listen without weeping for lost times. I hope there is a Heaven and my late husband can hear and remember, but that's going too far!
on 31 October 2014