5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific stuff from Maddy Prior
This is an excellent album. I have rather lost track of Maddy Prior in recent years, but I stumbled across this and decided to give it a try. I am very glad I did.

Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Good listening in part but a bit of jumble of styles
Published 9 months ago by Catherine

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific stuff from Maddy Prior, 22 Feb. 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)

Maddy Prior is still a great singer. Her voice has matured a little in the forty-odd years since I first heard it and is slightly fuller and more husky - and all the better for it, in my view. It has lost none of its power when needed and she can still give real meaning to a song. She has chosen two fine musicians in Giles Lewin and Hannah James to join her on this record and their fiddle, accordion and singing really add something special.

The songs are an eclectic mix, and the effect is great. The traditional English songs took me right back to the time I spent more pocket money than I could afford on Hark! The Village Wait and played it incessantly. Others are from elsewhere or newly written and all are very good. Several songs are from Eastern Europe and are simply magical: Nantine is sung in a capella harmony and has the deeply moving feel of a Slavonic liturgy. Ganiko Horo, by contrast, is a brisk instrumental with slip-rhythms and gypsy, almost klezmer-sounding melody and harmonies. It makes a great programme when played as a whole and the album never drags or begins to sound samey.

This album was a revelation to me - it's terrific stuff, superbly performed. Very warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 40 years of Maddy Prior, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
Whether solo or collectively Maddy Prior has come a long way since since the 2 volume Folk Songs of Olde England in 1969 made with Tim Hart and this CD with Hannah James of the Carnival Band and accordeonist and Giles Lewin is like a pot pourri of all the musics she's been involved with even reviving the idea of Scred Harp music which was the sound of Gaudette one of the 2 Steeleye Span hits of the early 70s with a song called Wondrous Love first made by Sandy & Jeanne Darlington in the 60s

5.0 out of 5 stars Maddy, 10 May 2013
A. J. Edwards (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
Another Classic for the collection for any Maddy Prior lover. Well up to scratch. Voice has matured of course but still spot on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some fresh music, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
Not a great album like Maddy's work in the past (Year, Flesh & Blood, Ravenchild), still has some good tracks to listen.
Must have for Maddy's fans. The rest will enjoy it (or not, depends on your love to folk music).

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Maddy, 5 April 2013
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
We love Maddy, so are happy to have bought-play this...

My wife in particular plays it on CDP in kitchen, and I hear it/her singing along ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
Excellent quality album as usual from Maddy. Her vocals never cease to amaze me. We have all her albums and this one ranks up there with the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Maddy Prior, 5 Jan. 2013
Jillian Campbell (Newark, Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
Usual superb music from Maddy Prior. This CD is up there with the rest. Having collected all of her music, both with Steeleye and others, her music covers all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maddy Forever!, 7 Feb. 2013
Mrs. Angela READ "Maturegrad" (Devizes, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3 For Joy (Audio CD)
This is lovely, when I can listen without weeping for lost times. I hope there is a Heaven and my late husband can hear and remember, but that's going too far!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 Aug. 2014
Good listening in part but a bit of jumble of styles

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 Oct. 2014
good easy listening

3 For Joy
3 For Joy by Maddy Prior With Hannah James & Giles Lewin (Audio CD - 2012)