I have seen at least one other title from the 'Plain and Simple' series which are restricted to Windows' main version releases, commencing from XP. Unlike other series, they are aimed at the non-technical reader and are thus very easy to use. Anyone familiar with the Visual Guides from another publisher will feel quite at home here. In some respects, it could be equated to a series of related magazine articles although readers will have the comfort of the Microsoft name on the front cover as an assurance of correctness of its contents.

The book uses a minimal amount of text and relies mostly on screen captures to demonstrate the specific point under discussion at any stage. It will easily suit the younger reader and those who are not overtly technically-minded but need or want to gain as much information about the System as quickly as possible. There are sufficient changes in appearance, methodology and in relocation of tools etc in relation to Windows 7 to demand some guidance to the new user who may be upgrading. If you do not have any prior experience with Windows, it will certainly get you up and running with a new computer with the System pre-installed but does not specifically provide information about installation issues for upgraders. There is an Appendix section where one short chapter approaches some upgrade-specific considerations but it does not provide a step-by-step pre-installation regime in any way comparable to the contents of any of its main chapters. There are other titles from Microsoft where such information is available for those who may need it.

The book is moderately sized and not too thick with less than 350 pages. It is not intended to be fully comprehensive and there will probably be a point in time when you may need to progress to another title with broader or more detailed coverage for your on-going use, or to expand its capabilities and usability by choosing, buying and installing other software.

Comfortably priced, easy to use and to read, it is a good starting point for Windows 8 users.
on 1 December 2012
Excellent tutorial .Simple to understand,every topic is covered. For someone changing from XP to Win 8 this book is a must!!!
on 14 December 2012
Very well thought out, easy to follow pages, good illustrations, well worth the money. would highly recommend it to Beginners.
on 11 December 2012
This is a clear, concise, easy to read and understand companion for Windows 8. For anyone who is not sure about upgrading to this, buy the book and do it! Nothing to be afraid of and this will guide you through.
on 21 November 2012
I rate this 5 because it is just perfect for me,it explains a lot of hidden ways to do things,and illustrated well to guide you on what to do.
I was lost in windows8 until I bought this book,now I am finding my way around.
recommend this book--yes.
on 23 November 2012
I bought this book for a friend who struggles even with Windows XP. This is an ideal book for novices.
It provides an excellent overview of Windows 8.
BTW My particular purchase had pages 97-112 missing (sections 7 & 8) - this is very unusual - but it would be prudent to check yours.
Des
on 2 December 2012
This book is, as it says in the title, plain and simple. I could understand every word of it, which is unusual for me with computer manuals. I did upgrade from Windows 7 though, so a lot of it is the same, only with pictures.
on 4 December 2012
It is what it says in the title Plain and simple easy to understand and whats more very descriptive sketches to follow..
on 13 January 2013
The info' I needed before deciding which windows8 guide I bought was the level of experience / expertise the book is aimed at. I couldn't find this on any of the images or descriptions so I made a best guess and went for 'Plain and Simple'. In the introduction the author states 'a few assumptions' which would have helped me make my decision so I have transcribed them here:

"...I assume that you are basically computer literate, meaning that you have used a computer before and know how to turn it on and turn it off, how to use a mouse and how to select text and objects such as drawn shapes or photos. I also assume that you have worked with some kind of software before and know what a menu, dialog box, and tool button are. I do not assume that you have used a touchscreen before because this is a relatively recent addition to computers. I assume that you use computers either at work or at home, or both, and that you have access to an internet connection and have experience using one browser or another. Other than that, I try to give you all the steps you need to get things done in an easy-to-understand way, no matter what your technical background."

I can't give further assessment as I only received the book yesterday but I was pleased to see this.
on 26 December 2012
new way of doing things so this book took the pain out of finding the new way to do and find control pannel ect