5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multifunction printer
I'm a big fan of Canon's printer/scanner combinations - this is my third in ten years, and each time I upgrade, I am struck by how much the technology has moved on.

Published on 2 Dec 2012 by S. P. Long

3.0 out of 5 stars Ink drained and slow printing.
Pros: The quality of printing is brilliant and leaves no lines unlike my last printer. The graphics are good and the text quality is near laser quality. And it also has an auto duplex (double sided printing) function saving you a little time and money on paper.

Published 21 months ago by IAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multifunction printer, 2 Dec 2012
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5450 All-In-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Wi-Fi, Touch control and Air Print) (Accessory)

The most noticeable feature of this one is its low profile - while in width and depth its dimensions are typical for a multifunction printer, it is a lot smaller in height than most, so looks less imposing on the desk. It's also the first printer I've owned with no manual feed tray for paper - there are two separate paper cartridges that sit inside the printer, one for normal paper and one for photo paper, which is a lot neater than having to fiddle with flaps and load new paper every time you change from one to the other. The printer uses five separate ink tanks - three colours, black for text and black for photos - which makes it a lot more economical to run than lower-priced printers with a single colour cartridge. It will print on both sides of the paper, and includes a tray to enable CD labels to be printed directly onto printable discs. One notable difference from old Canon printers is that the printhead is fixed into the printer rather than being replaceable by the user - that said, the printhead died on my last Canon, and it was cheaper to buy this new printer than a replacement printhead, so this is unlikely to be a problem!

Set-up was easy enough - a few tricky bits to negotiate due to the peculiarities of my WLAN, but I was up and running, printing and scanning wirelessly from my PC within half an hour of opening the box. (If you're a Mac user, it's even easier - no need to fiddle with the supplied driver CD - the Mac just sees the printer and downloads the relevant drivers automatically.) Both printing and scanning work seamlessly over WiFi on both PC and Mac, and the printer also supports AirPrint for use with iOS devices.

The scanner has a very neat feature, in that it automatically detects when the item being scanned hasn't been properly aligned with the top of the scanner, and rotates the scan in software for you to get everything square. With small items like photos, you just stick them on the platen any way you like, and the scanner produces neatly oriented scans. One drawback of the scanner compared to previous versions is that, while Canon used to supply the excellent ScanSoft OmniPage OCR software for converting images to editable text, the software bundle supplied with the 5450 relies on a feature of Canon's own software to do this, which is both less flexible and, on a quick test, produces significantly less accurate results - if you are upgrading from a previous Canon device, keep the old install of OmniPage, as it works fine with the new scanner.

All in all, this is a great package - excellent quality in both printing and scanning, a feature list as long as your arm, and all for a ridiculously low price, particularly with the current cashback offer. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer But For The Ink!, 8 Jun 2013
I was originally going to buy an older model Canon Pixma that could use compatible inks and saw that this didnt cost much more. I didnt realise that they had changed the ink cartridge and there are only a few rather expensive compatibles available. Two sets of Canon inks will set you back as much as the printer!

That aside it performs really well although a little noisily at times. The benefit for me is the wi-fi facility as I wanted to position it well away from my PC.

Just hope my kids don't use too much ink before more reasonably priced inks appear on the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ink drained and slow printing., 23 Mar 2013

Cons: The print time from clicking print on my computer to the print finishing is about 3 minutes. It receives it in seconds but processes and makes a lot of clicking noises and then when it finally prints it's VERY SLOW. And three days after setting it up and putting the ink cartridges in on the Cyan and Magenta cartridges 1/4 of it has already gone even though I have printed no photos and mostly B&W text with some small graphics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer but slow to start printing, 18 Dec 2012
I bought this printer to replace a much loved Pixma MP610 that had finally given up the ghost. I am a Canon fan and this is a good printer and good looking too but takes much longer to print the first page than my old MP610. Someone else commented that it doesn't print on CDs but I can assure you that it does. The same post makes constant reference to Nikon and Nikon support so I don't see the relevance to this Canon printer. You use the "My Image Garden" program for printing Disc Labels and the instructions are in the help file under "Printing > Creating and Printing Items > Printing Disc Labels". I'm not saying the instructions are easy to follow but it can be done and no doubt practice will make perfect.
I miss the convenience of the manual feed for my envelopes as I have to remove the paper from the lower cassette and put an envelope in there which is followed by several seconds of whirring and clanking before the printer is ready to print. After putting the paper back into the cassette it goes through the same whirring and clanking as it readies itself again. It works but is not as easy as slipping an envelope into a manual feed.
Another review mentioned that this printer prints the last page first and this is indeed the default setting but is easily changed in Printer Properties.
All in all, this is an excellent printer/scanner which gives good results and the Wi-Fi is a bonus but I wish I still had my old MP610 which was quick and quiet and a Prince among printers.

Edit at 12/01/2013: Regarding my above comment regarding CD Disk Labels, practice hasn't made perfect and I was still struggling to make the software do what I wanted but I've just found out that the CD-LabelPrint software that was supplied with my old MP610 printer works just fine with the MG5450 so I prefer to use that as I find it much more flexible in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiot Proof, 2 Dec 2012
Having had previous problems setting up Wireless products I approached with trepidation this task with the CANON. The ONE sheet quick start instrutions was not an initial settler but to be fair read & follow as detailed & setup is very easy.After 10 miutes setting up the printer itself ( ink cartriges / paper ) I proprammed for WIRELESS. First laptop took 35 minutes, second 20 minutes & after loading APPS my Ipad & Iphone seemed to be done in seconds. Go for it. If a golden oldy can do it so can you. Best price I found Amazon. Delivery - next day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all rounder, 13 Dec 2012
Bought this printer for wifi use with laptop, iPad and htc phone. Easy to set up and use except for htc which wouldn't recognise it and the printer was not in standard list on phone because it was too new. Htc problem still not resolved. Print & scan quality excellent. Limited printer control through iPad though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good one but bit noisy, 6 Feb 2013
+ Excellent Print/scan/copy Quality
+ Easy set up
+ Almost works as advertised
+ Good Looking
+ Got £30 cash back from Canon

- Noisy
- Initial start ups takes bit long
- I personally not liking Canon quick menu which is installed and displayed on my comp.
- Ink 'watchers' may be bit disappointed, but considering the print quality it is okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Bargain, 2 Jan 2013
This has got to be the bargain of the century. Not only have Amazon discounted the price, but you also get £30 cash-back from Canon themselves if purchased before the end of January 2013. The printer came with very comrehensive instructions and was a doddle to set up. Even the wireless connection, which I was apprehensive about, was achieved for all three computers in a matter of minutes. First test print was very impressive, though there was a lot of whirring and clicking whilst the printer configured itself automatically, and consequently took a little time to appear. But print runs after that were very quick. Haven't ascertained yet how much ink it uses, but with quality like this - who cares?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Jan 2013
What a printer, for the price too, easier to list what it doesn't do! I.e. washing up! Superb, took a while to get it printing wirelessly from our iPad, laptop and phones but only because I wasn't putting in the proper wifi router access code and trying to make up my own!
The photo quality on just its standard settings is far superior to any other printer I have had before, the scanner is also superb and quick. The only "minor" thing is the warm up time but given the superb quality of the machine, this is like said a very very minor issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Good the Bad and the Ugly, 10 Feb 2013
Dean Calculator (newport, gwent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have had this printer for a few days and i am quite impressed by what it can do

THE GOOD
Easy to set up
Wireless works a treat
Print from your IPAD piece of cake
Lots of features

THE BAD
As other reviewers have said the ink costs are highway robbery ,the normal cartridges are smaller than ever at 7ml unless you go for XL size and they are a massive (not) 11ml . £60+ to replace all five ,Canon you should be ashamed

THE UGLY
It is really noisy ! even on the quiet setting. Before it prints its like a Lewis Hamilton revving up and as if that wasnt bad enough when it finishes printing its like the pit crew changing all four tyres , what is it doing at that point ? do you know what i don't really care, but whatever it is doing for goodness sake do it more quietly !

Overall a good printer , feature packed ,good looking .I was impressed by how easy it was to connect to my network and the print quality is very good thats why i stay with Canon .But it could be better and so much QUIETER !