Size: Printer with Full Set of Inks|Change

on 23 March 2014
After having had this printer for a couple of months, my experience has so far been very poor.

The print quality is certainly excellent, especially for the price, however, the functionality of the printer is very inconsistent. Often, it will not print at all, getting stuck in a loop without printing, and, even worse, will frequently printer half a page, which is especially annoying if you are printing on photo paper. This has so far occurred in about 50% of cases.

I would certainly not recommend this printer, the low price comes at the expense of reliability.
on 4 April 2014
I received this printer so quickly and well within the estimated time.
I am in my 60s and found the instructions so easy to follow.
The instructions come with illustrations too which makes it a lot easier to follow.
I have connected it up via wire free connection and it works like a dream.
I am really pleased with the quality of the print, especially on the photo's.
I wanted a printer which printed good quality photo's and this is exactly what this machine does.
I also do a lot of hand crafted cards so ideal for my needs.
The print is very sharp too.
I would recommend wholeheartedly.
I cannot express enough how pleased I am with this printer.
on 9 March 2016
bought to replace my old cannon. I needed a printer to do cds which this does well. I would have preferred a top feed for more flexibility, especially with the thicker card. Can only give 4 stars because of this
on 21 October 2013
Good machine. I am not a techie but managed to set the wireless connection up OK, no issues. It prints very well. Better than my office printer! I've yet to replace ink so will reserve final comment until then.
on 4 March 2015
Does the job. Very high quality photographic prints. Decent speed whether text or photo / graphics. Underside paper tray looks like an afterthought but in fact works fine and means the printer needs very little headroom. Warnings not to put stuff in front of the printer are a bit overdone - with the output cover open there's about 40mm vertical clearance. Looks very neat, in gloss and matt black. Not info yet on how long the inks last. Dreadfully slow to warm up - time from hitting "print" to print commencing is at least 30 sec and accompanied with alarming clanking and whirring sounds. Which is the only thing I don't like about it. So far. Let's see how the inks do.
on 24 December 2012
This replaced my IP 4500. It is very noisey - even in quiet mode. It continually cleans the heads. To print on discs you have to close the access flap for each disc to be printed on. This wastes a lot of time. Whilst the printing time onto paper may be fast the time the printer takes to start is not. The menus may appear to offer a lot of choice, but in terms of every day printing they are far too complicated. It seems to save a new format ie disc label every time you open the menu. I wish I had stayed with my IP 4500
on 26 July 2014
This is an impressive printer. It works very well on my home network and 'does what it is told', this was a pleasant surprise compared with my recent experiences of Epson and HP printers. The ability of the printer to produce CD/DVDs using the supplied gadget is something I have become used to having purchased several Canon printers in the past, the iP4000 and iP4950 most recently for home and business use. The Canon completely outperformed the HP Photosmart B210. Reviews in the PC/Apple magazines were encouraging, although I prefer printers which take the paper through without too much turning. My Ricoh printer at school follows a U-shaped path.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2014
A little larger in width than previous models. Very easy to unbox and set up. Wireless connection intuitive with good directions.
Quality of print excellent. If it has one fault it would be noise. It is quite noticeable and the printer vibrates a little. In quietude it is much better. The trade off being a little loss in speed of printing. I was able to connect my tower a laptop and my phone in 15 minutes very easy to use..
As this is a slightly older model printing ink can be attained from several sites specialising in remanufacture cartridges. Cost approx 2.50-3 pounds a cartridge. New cartridges from Canon typically 12 pounds each approx.
on 4 December 2012
Yet another complete waste of time released by Canon. This thing drinks ink like there's no tomorrow. I managed to print 20 A4 photo quality images before it asked for the inks to be replaced. Print quality is ok at best and the various paper feeds are inadequate. It's also bigger that any IP that came before it and I can see no reason why this should be the case.
After the endless complaints about the IP4950 you think Canon would've saught to improove, alas they decided to do nothing but repackage & rehash a lost cause.
The Canon IP4500 was the last great printer they produced. Ink lasted an age, print quality was excellent, boot time was close to zero and build quality was brilliant. Why on earth would a company onto a winning formula suddenly decide to mess it all up. I can only presume that the new head R&D must be fresh out of nappies and as clueless as teenage girl!
Please everyone out there reading this take heed AVOID CANON AT ALL COST...find another Canon printer with a good review (if such a thing is possible) or another manufacturer.

The only thing this printer delivers is disappointment.

Canon really has lost the plot and they need to wake up and smell what they're shovelling!
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2015
Quite easy to set up. Black and white prints and photos good. Didn't know there would be leads and inks inside (the latter was a bonus.) Actually used the leads from our old ip3600 which fitted.