4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, but flaky application
First impressions count, and the WeMo comes in attractive, minimalist packaging and neatly packaged in a box with a flip top lid. There's a small instruction leaflet and not a lot else, but for a reason - you don't really need.

Published on 11 Dec 2012 by The Soft Machine Operator

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...
Belkin is a name that I trust, I have had several USB hubs from Belkin and they have all performed well.

However I have had nothing but trouble from this, potentially very clever and useful device.

Published on 30 Nov 2012 by Doug

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, but flaky application, 11 Dec 2012
The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Belkin WeMo Home Automation Switch and Motion Sensor Bundle for Apple iPhone,iPad and iPod Touch (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First thing I did was download the application for my Apple iPod touch (Disappointed that there's no specific iPad app yet.) Setting up is relatively simple: the WeMo has a wireless network that you connect to directly over WiFi. Using this connection, you enter the details of your main WiFi network and it connects to your main network - at least it should do, but I found this stage tended to be quite flakey and the app just crashed out with an error after a while or just remained in a busy state. However, once installed the devices are stable and I've not had any problems since.

This package also comes with a motion sensor, which comes with a long cable and is attached to your network in the same way as the WeMo plug.

Once setup, you should see your WeMo devices within the app and be able to control them. I found that on my network the devices tooka time to get recognised and sometimes vanished. However, once stable, they work fine. You can control the plug's power by pressing the on/off switch on the HMI or display the state of the movement sensor. You can also setup rules to trigger other plugs when movement occurs. I currently use mine to turn on a hall light when one of the children gets up in the night and needs to find their way to the toilet. You can control the sensitively of the motion sensor.

They are quite expensive, but work well - the only problem is that you need an Apple device to control them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Dec 2012
Fantastic starter set for iPhone/iPad home automation, with a separate plug gable motion sensor so you can plug this in by the front door, for example, and lights will come on upstairs.
It's reasonably easy to install, a few bugs it seems, and has only turned off twice, due I'm sure to stray interference.
It's been awesome for the Christmas lights and starts 'soft' without any current surge so is good for the bulbs longevity.
It looks good, and is unobtrusive.
The software is downloadable from the apple store and can be installed on as many iPads/iPhones as wanted.
It also has a very good settings programme meaning that together with the sensor it is very adaptable.
Not cheap, but worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 30 Nov 2012
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It was packaged well, but with minimal instructions, the tiny sheet that did come with the device was printed so small it was barely legible, even with reading glasses.

Why not print the instructions, which as after all essential large enough to be easily read.

Instructions followed

WeMo app downloaded from apple's app store, where the app has been given consistently good ratings.

The app was enabled and connected to the wemo fine. I had real problems getting it to connect to my router though. In the end turned everything off and on again and finally the connection was made.

But after 2 hours of fiddling it still cannot find the switch or movement sensor.

Now I might be doing something wrong, but I cannot see what. The app is just not able to communicate with the switch.

I had high hopes for this product, and was going to use it for fun purposes, like turning the desk light on and off in my other half's office, but I am so disappointed it just does not work.

I will persevere, and if I get it going will share my tips here, and add additional stars as applicable, but at the moment I am far from impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars You need an iphone, 28 Mar 2013
70s "arrow" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didnt realise that to use this in any capacity, you need an iphone that can run the app for it. So for us none apple types, this device is of no use. I am sure that if you do have an apple the uses are many any certainly it looks very useful