Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 15 March 2013
My previous head unit died so a new one was required.
I love my tech in my car so it has to be right

My criteria were

I didn't need bluetooth(already have voice activated Bury system)
Not interested in watching DVD's(I have a laptop and tablet for that)
DAB essential as I was already going to buy a DAB addon for my old head unit
CD/MP3/WMA essential
AUX in required
USB required

The Pioneer ticked all the boxes so I bought it. I also fell for the Pioneer hype(you need a Pioneer film antenna(AN-DAB1). No, you don't
I paid nearly £30 for one and reception was average/poor.
I got a Sonichi magmount and the difference was incredible.
I now get lots of DAB stations with crystal clear reception so now I have Kerrang and Planet Rock wherever I go.

The unit can be customised to suit as I find the flashing "disco" lights irritating but you can set the illumination to suit your taste.

Audio quality when plating CD's is fantastic, better than I expected for the price.

Considering the DAB addon I was going to buy was around £70, this was a bargain and I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of making the jump
to DAB but a good antenna is essential
on 12 October 2012
As a fan of Pioneer car radios I've been waiting for them to put out a single DIN DAB/MP3 CD head unit for a while. I sadly retired my previous Pioneer MP3 player a year ago and replaced it with Blaupunkt DAB, but this new unit blows that one away for speed and sound quality.

You get of course a CD player with MP3/WMA playback, DAB+ tuner, FM/AM analogue tuner, front USB in and front 3.5mm aux. in. It does not have Bluetooth but that's not something I needed. As with previous Pioneers it is swift switching between sources and using MP3 cds and USB sticks quick selecting tracks. I have not used it with an iPod but the literature suggests it'll work fine with one and no doubt any other phone etc through the USB. DAB works well with the magnetic external aerial I have, picking up stations strongly. The connection is standard mini SMB.

The unit itself is nicely built with a classy glossy finish, a nicely made main control/volume knob, and feels up to Pioneer's usual build standard. The track select/preset buttons are a little small but operate positively. The source button is a good size and there is a dedicated DAB source/pause button. There are about a zillion different colour combos to suit the dash lighting of your car, there are some slightly annoying graphics switching between certain modes etc but thankfully most of these can be turned off and the styling in the main is thankfully restrained- Pioneer seem to either do nicely tasteful or over-the-top silly graphics.

Most menu settings are made though the main control knob, and it's pretty straight-forward to set and operate. Audio options include a 5-band graphic EQ- sadly not parametric like past Pioneers, but it works well, selectable loudness, usual fader/balance/bass boost, plus a frequency restorer for MP3's (probably just a high & low boost but it does sound ok on the low setting). Overall sound quality is excellent, it sounds as good as the Alpine DAB I also demo'd for a lot less money and is a massive improvement on the Blaupunkt I was using.

My only negs would be the Dimmer only has 2 settings (on or off) and the lighting at the far sides is a little bright and unnecessary for my tastes.

As of October 2012 this head unit is not officially out in the UK, I was impatient and got mine from Europe where it's already been released.

I think Pioneer are probably the best car audio brand for quality/price balance, and this unit doesn't disappoint.
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2013
I bought this to replace the standard CD/Radio in my 320D BMW. The difference is apparent straight away, sound quality is excellent and the extra volume is amazing. The old unit was 2X20W and the Pioneer is 4X50W....
The DAB radio is fantastic, although tuning is a bit hit and miss, the back light effects are nice and you have hundreds if not thousands of colours to pick, the CD works fine. I have full use of the steering wheel controls, the only thing missing is the ''speed volume control'' (the bit that increases the volume the faster you go) The best bit for me though is being able to plug a tiny 16GB USB stick in the front of the unit and it has over 1700 tracks from my ITunes account on it, so I will never have to listen to rubbish again. You can plug your IPhone or IPod in the same USB socket if you wish...
I didn't buy it from Amazon as I found it for £30 less at Road Radio in Red hill, the whole unit including wiring and face plate fitted for £179.00, barging of the day.
on 24 July 2013
Love this stereo. You can play your music through your mobile phone, simply plug the aux lead into your phone and into your stereo or even play your tunes through your USB stick, simple. Sounds fantastic, looks brilliant. Highly recommended.
on 15 February 2013
Bought this radio after a series of the more expensive kind, especially to put in a soft-top so should it be stolen it's wasn't going to break the bank. I have been VERY impressed by the build quality, sound quality and the flexible facilities offered by this head unit. Everything simply works - great display features too - although the one negative is the display has only two brightness settings, both of which on a dark night are too bright on the dash, reflecting in windows in a distracting way. I would wholly recommend this unit to anyone on a budget who wants the facilities of head units four or five times the price.
on 23 June 2014
It does everything it says it does, although I never got the DAB radio to connect and I found the flashing lights to be annoying; although surprisingly not distracting while driving. I did find it to be too complicated to use rapidly at traffic lights, so I sold it to a friend who seems very satisfied with it.

I will say that it's configurable to a fault, although it takes some fiddling to get it right since the factory settings are obnoxious and the menus seem a bit... badly organized.
on 21 March 2014
Very good car radio, I love it every day I use it.
But beware with DAB that you may need a new antenna or special FM/DAB splitter!
on 12 April 2013
I purchased this for the dab capability and have not been disappointed one fitted with a digital Aeriel I can drive from Norwich to manchester without losing signal. Sound is great.

Only negative is the illumination is a bit too bright at night.
on 10 September 2013
This unit has good sound once you balance your speakers Fwd-Rear and L-R. DAB seems to work but has way too many bands and station pre set sets groups that I have not understood and probably do not have the time to organise. The ariel, which you have to buy separatrely, attaches to the windscreen which advertises you have the unit fitted. Not good and looks messy. I had the unit fitted professionally including the arial.

CD is good. Plug in iPhone and play music library is ok, but fiddly when driving. Also quieter than the CD

The illumination is way too bright. The instruction booklet says there is an adjustment range 0 - 60. I could not find this option on the unit, and am currently in the phone queue to speak to Pioneer.
on 15 March 2015