5.0 out of 5 stars Revolution is amazing 10/10

1.0 out of 5 stars Somebody stop me, I'm JJ Abrams
Published 12 days ago by Hellserch

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolution is amazing 10/10, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I watched this entire series on tv lastyear and loved it that much i am going to be buying the box set, its a very interesting show, good plots, twists and outcomes. I enjoyed watching each character grow and the show would give you flashbacks of before the blackout happened to show each characters story and background, all the leading characters are stand out amazing, you wont ve disappointed its a must see and season two is showing online and on sky right now

5.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, good acting!, 26 Feb 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This series has the makings of a long term excellent show, that I hope will be renewed and continue for years. The power is off, but why? And can it ever return? These are the questions that the show is working towards answering and the character relationships that develop along the way are also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolution-Season 1(DVD) (2013), 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I have seen the series of this DVD on TV, and thoroughly enjoyed it. So have bought this Dvd as a present, for a friend. It captures you from the onset, and twists and turns in the plot. Really recommend this Dvd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Somebody stop me, I'm JJ Abrams, 19 Aug 2014
I now understand that JJ Abrams cannot produce anything with meaning. This is another conceited attempt to tell us how good/evil we are and that,with the right direction, we can find salvation, hallelujah. Much has been written about the poor character development, shambolic script and embarrassing production values but this doesn't work because nobody who has lived on this planet could believe the direction this world takes. It is not dystopian rather it belongs in a kind of Harry Potter universe (which it shamelessly namechecks) in which people are constantly flashbacked into life and the living pass for energised zombies.

We cease to care and the racial stereotypes and deaths in this reminded me of a modern Birth of a Nation. How many Uncle Ned's and Aunt Jemmima's can you have in one serious. Why do nearly all the characters of colour have to die? Give it up JJ.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the same Dystopia, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 (DVD)
If you've seen 'Jericho', this is a poorer version of it. World goes to pot, humans start behaving like bloodthirsty animals, the strong prey on the weak, you're not a real man unless you can kill, etc etc. Never seen a dystopian drama concentrating on people struggling to remain civil in spite of real hardship, or the fight to try and make a bad situation better - no novel ways to cope with human trials; instead it's always about watching the obligatory murder/violence/hopelessness etc, and the struggle for the viewer to remain sane while trying not to want everyone annoying to get killed. 'Lowest common denominator' type drama, nothing to differentiate it from anything else in its genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather naive, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
It is a nice series, but nothing else. I would rather expect it will show just how people (realistically!) adapt to the wholeworld bug, but this is just another fairy tale. Easy watching, though...

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I've watched the season all the way through a few times now and it gets more addictive each time. It's an interesting concept and the story lines are intriguing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic good v evil, shallow character development, lacks the existential dilemmas that make Walking Dead vastly superior., 29 Aug 2014
As many others pointed out, immaculate skin complexion, coiffed hair and perfect glamour makeup on humans who've supposedly been living in a practically medieval society really detracts from the show's verisimilitude. Then, we have the obese people who don't loose weight even when all they do is run around and eat nothing. The preposterous, patronising, and at best unoriginal idea of having the baddies doing unexplained bad deeds while making sure you know they are bad by have them wear Nazi-like uniforms. Also, where are all the diesel trucks? Compression-ignition engines (diesel) don't need electricity to run so, why aren't they being used?

Even if you are willing to let all this fly over your head, you soon start getting fed up with the I-won't-do-what-you-say-I-have-your-loved-one-ah-ok-I'll-do-it-then which is pretty much how every single jeopardy moment in every single episode is played out.

If you still think the above isn't enough of a put off then, maybe you'll love this as the production value is not bad and many scenes look rather expensive which makes the unintelligent writing and execution of this idea even more frustrating.

Check it out and see what you think.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as Falling Skies..., 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
...and that's almost the best thing I can say about this.

It is a pretty good idea, and the Abrams involvement suckered me in. Every so often there's a flash of something great, but these are lost in the endless clichés and moronic 'plots'. My partner and I had some fun predicting lines and events before they occurred, but even we didn't expect to be cheering when the 'heroes' died.

I think some other review commented that Charlie Matheson is THE most irritating character since Jack's daughter in the first season of 24. I was actively rooting for something terrible to happen to her from about episode three.

Tedious flag waving; ridiculous, illogical plots like the subway tunnel that ran out of oxygen (??????), the lack of sailing boats, bicycles, diesel vehicles etc etc. Why does nobody pick up any weapons, and where did the cool crossbow go???

Sigh...

1.0 out of 5 stars They've been captured... Now they've escaped.... Wait, they've been captured again..., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Nice idea, shame about the execution.

I'm not going to elaborate further on the points made by other reviewers (such as the lack of realism in the setting & the actors' appearance) - Other than to underline how truly dreadful the acting and scripting truly is. I started to watch this after I realised that 'Gus Fring' (Giancarlo Esposito) from the truly outstanding 'Breaking Bad' series was starring in this, little was I prepared for a show that was so utterly shambolic, I'm really struggling to put words together. Agree, it is a 'good idea' - But without any really convincing characters, and utterly dreadful script writing there was nothing to hold my interest past 5 or 6 episodes, the majority of which I had to force myself to watch, waiting for the hidden depth to emerge. It didn't. Nor will it. Cynics will claim I didn't give it time; I will assert that no matter how much time I gave it, the actors will not improve their craft, nor will the daft story-lines improve.

There are clearly a number of nods towards Stephen King within this show, but whereas he (in a similar way to Breaking Bad, or indeed the similarly excellent Game of Thrones) would craft interest and tension from a slowly building storyline, 'Revolution' is in too much of a hurry to move things along; Characters captured & escaping multiple times in an episode feels like over-eager story-writers trying to make up for inability to create any depth in the characters, and situations they encounter.

It's clearly popular with some - I can respect the views of others, after all we're just here to share opinions. But this really wasn't for me - If you like shows along the lines of The Wire, the aforementioned Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones et al - This one is probably best left alone.

Oh, they've been captured, no wait, they escaped, or have they been captured again?

Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Revolution - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] by David Lyons (DVD - 2013)
9.75