5.0 out of 5 stars The right choice!!
Published 14 months ago by Chopper Fuscoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Contour Have Ceased Trading!!
As from 7th Aug 2013 Contour Inc closed its doors and stopped trading.
I didn't know this at the time of ordering my Roam2 (27 Sept 2013)
Of course this means that all manufacturers support, warranty claims, software, and importantly firmware updates have been taken down from the Contour website.

The only way you can get the Contour Story Teller...
Published 9 months ago by JT

5.0 out of 5 stars The right choice!!, 15 May 2013
This review is from: ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Black (5MP, Still Photo Sensor) (Electronics)
I had pondered on this for some time, looking at the Go Pro, for which i nearly pulled the trigger but lost my nerve after not so encouraging reviews. I then thought about a cheaper option but i'm such a HD snob that i decided to check the reviews for this. I need this mostly to capture the stunning Scottish scenery i pass while travelling on my motorbike. It came well packaged and i was happy upon opening to find a sturdy camera with 4gb card and an adapter card for it to slot into for easy plugin to TV, PC etc. There was a mincey instruction picture card with four steps which made obvious what to do. I thought a bit more instructions would have been better but as i rarely read them it wasn't a grudge!! Product website is full of useful info anyway! (Worth visiting for easy to do update on camera also)
I seriously took my time mounting on the bottom right side of my helmet. I held it on tightly, recorded for a few seconds then checked the footage. I was delighted to see just the tip of my helmet in the shot so i stuck it on with the super adhesive swivel mount that was provided. This was great for adjusting the angle to match my point of vision. The laser beam test facility is a great trick for testing against the wall before i leave to ensure i'm filming what i want to film. It makes obvious where the camera is pointing. Out on the bike the large sliding record button is idiot proof. Forward and back, start and stop, so easy!!
I was delighted with the picture on my mac and had a laugh running it through iMovie to make a quick movie trailer and load on Facebook. The picture i get on my 50 TV is also stunning! Of course the sound is taboo while riding at high speeds but to expect anything else would be stupid! Quick slap of my favourite Ramones tunes on top of the wind buffering sorted that noise out. I am soooo sooooo happy with this camera, i look forward to my rides all the more. Especially now that i have what looks like a mini rocket launcher on the side of my helmet....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great POV cam, 7 Mar 2013
Just got the Roam2 and really impressed with it. Great build quality and looks real cool. Very happy with the image quality and that you are able to adjust things like sharpness, exposure, contrast etc. Simple things like a lens cap and a leash attachment are nice finishing touches. Also got the Contour Flex strap as I consider it a great mount for use in many situations.

Initially I thought I would be stuck with the settings I select when leaving the PC but there is a work around. You could have different SD cards for different settings as the file that retains settings is on the card. You could also edit the TXT file on the card using a smartphone. You have 2 ways to do this. You can either insert the micro sd into your phone and edit the file or if your phone supports OTG you can get the appropriate lead to allow your phone to connect to the camera so as to edit the file.

The file is not view able on a PC unless you change the settings to allow viewing of hidden files. You will see the FW_RTC.txt file once you have enabled hidden files to show which you can edit on your phone/ tablet using free simple txt file editor. It is very simple and just make sure you select Y for the update attribute after selecting new settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've spent in a long time!, 17 April 2013
I have to give this 5 stars as I'm extremely impressed. I've so far used it twice, mounted to the side of my motorcycle helmet, once on the way to work in daylight and once on the way home in darkness. The picture quality is excellent and wide angle of the lens gives a great picture.

There is a bit of wind noise but I expected that having read other reviews and watched footage on YouTube so it wasn't a problem. I was slightly concerned about the sticky pad mounting on the side of the helmet however it seems fairly solid (after picking up the helmet by the camera and shaking it about).

It was simple to set up and even simpler to use even with the gloves on. I'm looking forward to taking this away on holiday later in the year and I'm expecting some great footage. I would definitely recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars ROAM2, 13 May 2013
I bought this camera to record footage of me on my bike - partly because I am doing a charity bike ride later this year and wanted to record the event, partly to help provide evidence against careless drivers after experiencing two recent accidents on the bike and numerous near-misses.

I looked at the GoPro Hero2 which is pretty much the best 'action camera' you can buy on the market...but the 'Fisher Price' design put me off a bit - wearing that on top of your bike helmet makes you look a bit like a Telly Tubby. And then there's the cost. I couldn't justify it. I then started looking at the Veho Muvi VC-005 which is a much cheaper camera but pretty cool looking. However, I read a few mixed reviews about it. Then, by chance I tumbled across the Contour ROAM2 online and boy am I glad I did.

It sits between the Veho and the Go Pro in terms of price which was fine by me. Reviews were generally all positive and what I liked was that it was waterproof (up to 1m) so no need to buy an additional rain protection casing which I would have had to do with the Veho Muvi camera. I also liked the sleek 'bullet style' design.

When the camera arrived I was instantly impressed. The packaging had an 'apple' style feel to it and the camera itself was reassuringly heavy - I had expected it to be a bit 'plasticy' but not a all - it looks and feels like it is made from quality material and built to last. The controls are pretty simple - it's plug and play. There is a large 'on/off' switch for recording which makes a satisfying loud beep when you switch it in either direction. Some people in reviews said they found the volume of this annoying but when out on my bike I like to know that the camera is definitely 'on' so the confirmation beep is great...nothing worse than getting back after a ride to find you hadn't pressed record on your camera after all!

The camera also comes with a laser levelling device so you can tell if your picture is going to be level - the lens itself can be rotated through 180 degrees so whether you are mounting the camera on top of your bike helmet or on the side, you can get the perfect shot.

The camera plugs straight into your computer via a USB and there is a really great interface you download from the Contour website called 'Storyteller' that allows you to upload footage from the camera. You can even select snippets from your recordings and upload those to your own Contour.com page to share with others. I think the upload limit is about 2GB per clip, much like YouTube.

Perhaps the worst thing to say about the camera is that there is very little in the way of help in terms of using the camera....like apple products, this comes with only a rudimentary graphic-style setup guide. You have to download further instructions from Contour website but those were OK. The 'Awesome' feature in the Storyteller dashboard (the bit that allows you to share clips from your recordings) wasn't well explained at all but that really is only a minor niggle...it doesn't take long to master it. The one disadvantage the ROAM2 has against say the GoPro or even the Veho Muvi is that you can't see what you are recording...there is no viewing screen. But then, when I am on my bike I would have no way of watching it anyway so it doesn't bother me. Again, those reassuring beeps mean that I can rest assured the camera is recording.

The quality of the video output is superb - there are various frame rates and resolutions you can choose from which you set up via the Storyyteller dashboard. It also takes a 5MP still image every 2 seconds.

The camera came with various mounts - it has a rather nifty locking system built into the design to make it very easy to fix the camera to various mounts in a variety of positions. There was even one that you can use to rotate the camera 360 degrees. I purchased a separate bike helmet mount which comes with velcro straps for extra security as I didn't fancy trusting my camera to a mount stuck on with only an adhesive pad!!

All in all, I am very glad I purchased the ROAM2 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others...yes the GoPro is probably a better camera with more features, but for my needs the ROAM2 is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars good camera with some corner cutting to keep price down..., 18 July 2013
Robert J. Frost "frosty" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this camera to record bike commuting after a previous one packed in. This is a good camera.

Plus points:

* simple to operate. Slider switch on top of unit turns camera on and records and off again. Loud beep (can be turned on or off in settings) confirms the action plus LED red light (can be turned on / off in settings) shows unit is recording.
* Good battery life. Get a good 3+ hours out of this. Will record all of my 56 mile loop round these parts. Will record most of the 72 mile one.
* Can be charged while filming. By taking out the a USB battery charging pack (one of those big ones for charging phones several times at festivals etc) the camera will record for a lot longer. Can capture all my 72 mile spin with this on.
* Good picture quality and choice of resolutions. I mainly use this in tall HD which is basically the same as 720p HD with the tops and bottoms left on producing a 4:3 aspect video. I prefer 4:3 aspect ratio for bike video anyway as 16:9 doesn't really give as good all round coverage. The 170 degree angle is pretty standard with these type of action cameras. Whilst being quite useful in getting all the surrounding detail into the frame (at the expense of fish eye distortion) the 170 degree angle does make things in the centre of the shot look *much* further away than they are. This is quite obvious considering how much extra "view" it's capturing at the edges of the frame. 1080p mode is 130 degree which is far more sensible for a lot of shooting. I'd say 170 degree best when the camera is mounted on the stem (as it will capture both sides of the handle bars and the speedo etc on the road bike from there) and 130 degree for on the helmet (as the camera is then directional, due to being on your head).
* Lens Cap : Useful for when camera in transit.
* Locks : Both the back panel for charging, inserting SD card etc and the record slider switch on the top of the unit have sliding lock switches to prevent them being opened or moved by accident. This is very handy for when your not using the camera and it's in transit in your bag and when you're filming to stop accidentally knocking it off.
* Software: The software is easy to use and will let you do things like sync the video with a gpx file from say a garmin or strava export. You can then save the video with the embedded gps data which will then let you see your speed and location in sync with the video when viewed with the contour software. Products like DashWare which will embed speedo and other gauges to video will automatically see the GPS data and use it then, so you don't have to worry about syncing gps data up in other products. Useful.
* Build quality : Aluminium casing to the camera itself. Makes for a rugged shell. However see negative points.

Negative points:
* Build quality. The buid quality of the camera itself is good. However, compromises have been made which let it down. The bit at the bottom of the camera where the mounts connect to it is actually plastic. Seems strong enough to deal with the contour mounts though so I can't see it going too wrong, however the tripod mount at the bottom is plastic, yes, plastic threaded. If you're using a tripod screw mount that isn't that long, any kind of knock to the camera when mounted will risk damaging the thread of the tripod mount. My Contour has already got broken thread on the first few screw rotations due to this where the plastic has simply crumbled away after it fell over whilst tripod mounted. If this had been metal threading like on 90% of other cameras this wouldn't have been a problem.
* Settings: All the settings are controlled by the installed software on your computer. This means that to make changes to resolution etc you need to connect to a computer making changes to settings out in the field quite tricky. The settings saved from the software live in a text file which is fairly self explanatory so it is possible to either edit it on an android phone etc, maybe, or even just keep multiple copies the text file and either copy them on / off the card with a phone or just keep a separate micro SD for each type of setting you might need whilst out and about (although this adds to the expense).
* Mounts: You get 2 mounts with it. Both are useless for vented bike helmets. There's one flat mount and one curved mount for attaching to ski type helmets included. That's it. This does keep the price down (why should you pay for a million bundled mount options when you're likely just to use one)... however, take a look at the price of Contour mounts on Amazon. They're not cheap. The vented helmet mount is about 15 and the stretchy flex mount is 25 which in my opinion is vastly overpriced. You can always use the tripod mount and go for third party cheaper mounts but then beware of the plastic threading to the tripod mount in the camera!
* Video : The quality of the video *is* superb however, the 920p HD and 720p options in 720 degrees do have a slightly pixelated look to them which isn't there in the 1080p 130 degree mode. This is most noticeable with sharp edges of things which will look slightly blocky, almost as if it's a lower resolution image scaled up slightly. It's still good though.
* Size : You're not going to look quite as "tellytubby" as a GoPro user (when stuck to helmet etc) but it's still quite sizable. I don't think there is a camera available that will make your recording unnoticeable (the 720p Eye Of Mine Eye-View Sunglasses are the other end of the spectrum but they record 720p 16:9 for 90 mins tops!). Smaller bullet cameras exist and look a bit less obvious, so do keep this in mind if you're worried about the camera standing out like a sore thumb. This doesn't stop most people from using them though and I often just keep this mounted on the handlebar stem so it's hardly noticeable there.

Hope this review helps you out in your choices...

1.0 out of 5 stars Contour Have Ceased Trading!!, 7 Oct 2013
As from 7th Aug 2013 Contour Inc closed its doors and stopped trading.
I didn't know this at the time of ordering my Roam2 (27 Sept 2013)

The only way you can get the Contour Story Teller software program is to trawl the web for a copied version that when installed does not connect with the live bits and importantly the updates from Contour.

This can maybe be worked around by using another movie editing program, but as you can't access the online manual either you are going to be stuck guessing how to adjust the camera settings anyway!

I carefully researched the Roam2 camera reviews before proceeding with my order but then was gobsmacked to find that Contour have gone belly up!!

This is such a blow to me as the hardware is a beautiful piece of kit, really nicely made quality stuff, and I am really disappointed that Amazon make no reference to the fact that there is NO manufacturer support or WARRANTY with this product!!??

I have contacted Amazon to inform them of this and asked why they continue to sell Contour cameras but have not received a response as of yet.

So anyone wishing to buy Contour cameras please be aware of this situation!
I was really sad to see it returned for a refund.
JT

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it so much I bought..., 9 April 2013
This was my first Contour, and I liked it so much I have bought two more Contour cameras but opted for GPS/Bluetooth ones.
This is the Roam 2 which is the current entry model.
It is light, compact, and simple to use, just point and shoot!
No need to worry about a bit of rain either as it is water proof.
The cons with possible solutions are:
Built in battery means you can't just throw in another to continue catching the action, but if it is a problem the GPS models have changeable batteries, but at the expense of being less water proof and a much higher purchase price.
Supplied memory card is no where near enough, but it can handle up to 32 GB, so buy at least one of those or a couple of 16 GB ones at the same time.
Settings are stored in a text file on the memory card so not easy to change, but you can have different setting on different cards so you can swap them about. Other Contour models can be adjusted and viewed on a smart phone, again at a much higher purchase price.
Not great in low light, but if it is that dark you probably shouldnt be doing anything worth filming.
Picture quality not quite as good as the Go Pro, but it is more than good enough at a fraction of the cost.

Overall, a pretty decent camera that will give decent results in good light and at about half the price of the other Contour models, it is just a good purchase. Second hand prices are pretty good too, if you want to sell and trade up, but if you are like me just keep it and buy the next model up too and get the best of both worlds.
Since buying it my Go Pro has hardly been used, mainly because it seems so bulky in comparison.
Whatever your sport, buy one and capture your extreme awsomeness...or more amusingly as in my case any extreme unawsomeness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, but you will not get any support, 25 Oct 2013
I have been looking for a camera for a while but i don't like the go pro as it looks big and bulky. Its also quite expensive. I had my eye on this roam2 for a while and when I noticed that the price had dropped I decided to take the plunge.

Now for the bad bits .. Contour went bust earlier this year, so their website is not working and you can't download the software you need to set the camera up. After a bit if searching on the net i managed to find the required software and user manual to set the camera up. I have copied the required software onto my google drive and its available at [...]

I have not had much chance to properly try out the camera as I have purchased it for a ski holiday in the new year, but I have had a little play with it and am very happy with it. The build quality is very good, it feels strong but its not too heavy. The picture quality is very good outdoors, but in darker environments it does struggle a bit. So overall I think its a very good purchase.

Just remember that like other reviewers have pointed out, the company has gone under. It has now been purchased by one of the original founders but how much support you will receive is unknown...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of hardware, 5 Jun 2013
Rui A. A. P "Rui Peres" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Spent some days deciding between this and GoPro Hero 3 Black or Silver. After checking the amount of bad reviews that it got, I decided for Contour ROAM2. The software for Mac is really good. So I just reseted the SD card, plugged in Contour, pick my preferences for the cam, and that's it.... 10 minutes. Recorded a good 17 minutes on 720p and looks really good. Was a bit afraid of the quality, but everything looks good.

The device feels heavy. This is not a critic, it's actually a good thing because it doesn't feel that if it goes to the ground it will break. In terms of design is a bit more low profile than GoPro 3, which I like, but this is just subjective. This is the first video I made with it, it's boring, but at least you can have a feel:

Overall I would recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Motorcycle helmet cam, 15 Mar 2013
I wanted an action camera to use while my bike, attached to my crash helmet. As I am a complete novice at this sort of thing, it was with some apprehension I bought a ROAM2. I liked its bullet shape, large on/off switch for use with gloves, and its mid-range price. As soon as I took it out of the box I was releved to see and feel its quality, and setting it up for use was surprisingly straightforward. Attaching the helmet mount (supplied) was equally easy, and with the camera fitted to it feels very secure. I am delighted with my first efforts on my bike with the camera running. I use Windows Movie Maker for editing, again learning as I go.
The one downside is that on a bike, all the microphone picks up is excessive wind roar - I simply add some suitable backing music instead.