Format: Misc.|Change

on 14 December 2013
I own a Jack Russell Terrier; I got him at nine months old from Battersea dogs home. They told me that he was found wandering the streets. I think this is the reason he scoffs his food (as he has been hungry in his life). He is now 5 years old and there have been a couple of incidents where he has regurgitated his food as he does not chew it. I asked the Vet to check out his teeth and there was nothing wrong with them and said that there’s not much I can do about it as he was a rescue dog and there was probably a period in his life where never knew where the next meal was coming from so he just scoffs.

I used to breed JRTs many years ago. The JRT I had before this one developed ‘stomach bloat’, which is a serious and life threatening condition. He was 17 years old at the time (very old for a dog), and I was told he would probably not survive it. He did get over it after a 2 week stay at the Vet. Sadly he was never quite the same after and passed away 2 weeks after I got him back home.

IF YOUR DOG BOLTS HIS FOOD AND ALSO NEVER CHEWS IT – and you want to avoid stomach bloat – (believe me it is the most upsetting thing and the dog is in extreme pain), then this is where this very intelligent dog feeder comes into its own.

I have to say I was a bit sceptical when ordering. I thought that he would tip it over and start throwing it about, but the design keeps it on the floor and its reasonably weighty and ergonomically designed, so it stays on the floor and does not dig in the dogs mouth whilst he is eating. (I ordered the small one and it was fine for my JRT). It works well with wet or dry food and my dog actually loves it.

As a bonus it gives him something to think about, and gives him a little bit of a challenge, and it definitely 100% stops him bolting his food.

A fantastic product a well deserved 5 stars
on 14 November 2013
My dog now eats slower (as he has no choice). It is a game to him too as he wags his tail when eating, even has thrown himself on the floor to try and get the food out - it's hilarious to watch him!! Dog doesn't smell the house out either, and doesn't now walk off with food stuck in his throat where he used to eat so fast. Excellent purchase. I hate washing it though :-(
on 18 October 2013
Slows my chocolate lab down from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Work a little bit better with smaller kibble as its more difficult to get at. Great!
on 10 December 2013
Rather a strange design but it does work. Initially my 5 month old Labrador scattered the dried food EVERYWHERE by pawing the feeder (and I do mean everywhere). Now I feed him outside and he has discovered how to eat between the prongs. It has definitely slowed his feed time down as before he virtually inhaled his food in 20 seconds. Now it takes about 10 minutes. The good thing is that he is not so windy in the evenings (it was a social hazard) and has given his tummy a fighting chance to digest the food.
on 28 December 2014
i bought this for my indoor cat, and it slows her eating by 15mins as opposed to like 5mins if that. Cats naturely like to catch things with their paws so this is a brilliant self esteem booster . The design is very clever and well thought through for the use of cats. I have a clever cat and if there is a short cut she would take it, but with this design she has no choice but to use her paws and determination. In fact sometimes she gets a bit fed up and leaves some of her food which is a good thing for her and she loves her food a bit too much. One thing I regret is not buying this sooner!!

I've read a lot of reviews from dog owners trying to use this product, I personally wouldn't advise it, this is designed for a cat, cats are more flexible and nimble. You can get ones designed for dogs so don't buy this and then mark it down for not working.
review image
on 1 March 2015
This has really helped to slow down my cat's eating as she has to fish eat piece of food out of the feeder to eat it. The cat seems to enjoy it. Easy to wash.
Three months on this still deserves top marks. My cat really enjoys interacting with the feeder and it slows her eating speed down considerably.
on 14 September 2015
this truly is an awesome item.
when my dog was a puppy she gulped her food down so quick she used to choke so when I watched a dog behavioural programme they had this on it (it was the one where they had put cameras in people's houses to find out what the dogs got up to when the owners had gone,re separation anxiety,think it was on ch4,but anyway...) I knew I had to get one
I ordered the small but as my dog is so little (she's 7lbs fully grown) she can get around this a lot quicker than I would imagine a bigger dog would but it has still slowed her down considerably,it takes her a good 10 minutes,sometimes longer to eat her meal now.
this is also a game at meal times,it is supposed to replicate them hunting for food and my dog enjoys it so much that when this has been left at my parents and her dinner is on a plate/bowl,she won't touch her food!
another good thing about this is it is dishwasher safe which is so convenient and is so sturdy I would imagine even the strongest of chewers would struggle to get through it!
on 8 August 2014
Arrived quickly within 2 days of ordering! An excellant service. Brilliant for keeping to house cats occupied and preventing one gobbling dry food down and consequently bringing it back up. Shame you don't get a choice of colours. Only purple.
on 25 April 2015
This is the second feeder we have brought. They are fantastic for slowing down fast feeders. Our dogs where both a bit miffed by them at first, but now they navigate them extremely well and it makes feeding time a bit of a game.
review image
on 25 February 2013
Having tried many different methods for making my dog slow down while eating, this worked from the first time I used it. It previously took about 30 seconds for my dog to inhale her food, it now takes 10-15 minutes to eat it. My only very slight criticism would be that it can slide a little on a stone floor. It would benefit from some rubber pads underneath.