on 8 February 2013
I only recently truly moved from good old film (slides) photography to digital with the purchase of the D800. Having remained a faithful customer and fan of Nikon gears for the past 20 years. I therefore was looking for a book which would very clearly explain all the documented features of the superb D800. The reason why I chose this a book over spending too much time with the manual was because I wanted to see how someone would apply all the options offered by the D800 is real day to day photography activities. I can relate a lot quicker with what option to choose for what type of picture you want to take when someone tell you the setting chosen for his own type and style of photography. This simply resonate a lot easier and quicker with me and make it very easy to choose the options and configuration you really want and need. And Darrell's book does that just very well. Clear and easy to read, it helped me to make a quick and smooth transition from old configuration (if I still can call it that way on such old camera compare to a D800) of a, say F100, straight to the sophisticated options/settings of the D800.

I have only one critic for this book, which by no mean can justify to reduce my 5 start selection, that is the choice of pictures illustration made to choose to explain some functions of the camera. I would have made a different selection for such a well written book. But this is most likely a question off personal taste, isn't it?
on 4 October 2012
This is an all encompassing guide, to a very difficult Menue and system set up.
Had all previous D camera's from D100 to D3x . Never fully understood all of the functions, even though I am a pro user.
So many of the functions were left used.
Combine the D800 with this book and you have it all.
Well written, with authors own references.
Definitely a KEEPER.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2013 for your D800, this guy does explain things quite a bit more and then some, If you know Nikon cameras this may not be so nessary but as Im a new comer to Nikon it did teach a few hidden extras that is not that well explained in the Manual, so I would say its worth it
on 22 May 2013
Another mind-numbingly complicated camera that you will only use certain modes & functions that fit your practice. This book helps you find them fast and recognise what you don't need too. A couple of weeks working with this book by your side and you won't need it any more, hence the title word 'mastering' is correct
on 23 August 2013
Unfortunately this book is not laid out in an optimal manner for teaching. The first half goes through every single menu/sub-menu/sub-sub-menu and every setting on every one of them in an endless and tedious list. But the second half has more useful information with examples of what you might use the settings for.

A far more useful format would have been to go through each menu item along with it's use at the same time, or better still show the functionality of the camera one item at a time and then the various menu options that affect the functionality.

As it stands I can't imagine anyone sitting there reading and memorising a huge (and I mean *huge*) list of menu items and settings. Most of the items are without context or with references to items later in the book, so why not put them with the item in the first place? Apart from possible later reference (when you might need to look something up that isn't clear in the camera manual) the first half of the book seems largely useless.

The second half of the book provides some very useful info though. All in all I'm teetering on the edge of being happy I bought it and feeling I wasted money. Can't make up my mind. Maybe later if I have need to use it as a reference for the menu system I might appreciate it more.
on 12 September 2013
I recently purchased this camera to go with my D700 mostly for it's increase in image size as the majority of my images are portraits, model portfolios and weddings. Yes you do get a comprehensive book that comes with the camera, but it's to full of technical information and boring compared to this book that is on my telephone downloaded from Amazon as a kindle file. It's was cheap to purchase, it was on my phone within seconds of purchasing as are all their books.
This book is colourful, easy to follow and teaches you to use the camera from scratch without being boring all full of techy bits and pieces that know one really wants to read. It's full of tips about setting up your camera to suit your needs to match the sort of photography you do and it's worth every penny. I love this book as I did the Nikon D700 book I purchased about a year ago having struggled with that camera and the book that came with it for well over a year. So I personally advise anyone who's got this camera to make the purchase, it will be nothing but of benefit to you. Photographer Mark Eddiford.
on 13 January 2013
Well written book but simply expands on the manual. Suggest that the Thom Hogan book gives more practical advice than this
on 29 August 2013
I bought this book on but thought I would share my views on Amazon UK. This D800 is a very unforgiving camera and unless you have to have your technique spot on and know what you are doing or the camera will not be used to its full potential. The Nikon Manual .. well it is a Nikon manual with no "soul" .. This book is a far far better read and gives you a step by step guide as to how to set up the Camera and how you should use it. Unlike other comments I think the proliferation of pictures showing screens and settings is a real bonus. I also downloaded an E Version of the D800 guide from a US based Nikon Expert and Darrell Youngs book is really far superior .. If you have a D800 and want to use it properly you should really buy this book.
on 5 February 2014
I personally find the Nikon User Manuals difficult to absorb and uncomfortable to use. I have purchased a 'Mastering the D**** ' book with each new Nikon camera as a kind of Insurance policy. I don't read them from cover to cover but just dip in where I need clarification of a certain function or feature. Modern DSLR cameras are laden with powerful and sophisticated possibilities that most of us never use, but as time goes by we often want to explore those cleaver twidderly bits and Darrell Young walks us through all aspects of the camera in comprehensive easy to grasp language, invariably adding what his choice or preference for a particular style or setting is and why.
on 26 July 2013
A well written book. It describes how to use the camera and how to use each part of the camera an essential book to buy it you do not have a manual in your own language when buying the camera.