TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 June 2014
Sometimes you hear retired people say that they don't know where they found the time to work, not so Marty Singer, but that is because he hasn't really stopped working even though he is retired on health grounds. In this book, he doesn't even have time to be ill. He is supposed to have an exploratory operation to check on the progress of his cancer, and perhaps remove a tumour depending on its size but he doesn't know when he can fit it in. It isn't that he is being reckless with his life - he would like to get it over and done with but there are greater calls on his time. One of his erstwhile colleagues has called on him to investigate the deaths of four cops over a short period of time but the location of each killing means that no-one is linking them together, except Lieutenant Sam Bloch and it is he who is asking Marty to investigate as no-one else is and he doesn't have approval to do so.

Fortunately for Marty, he doesn't have to get into any physical confrontations or chases, nothing which is going to cause him to expend what little energy he does have in physical effort. On top of fighting cancer and investigating multiple murders, Marty is also facing the prospect that his surrogate daughter will leave the area and move across the country to find employment. Even though they haven't known each other long, the things which they have been through together have created a strong bond between them and he is disconcerted to find just how much he is going to miss her.

Marty eventually finds the link but isn't entirely sure what it means and how it worked. Sometimes however, he has a tendency to let his mouth run away with him and he gives information he shouldn't to the wrong people. Of course he doesn't know who the wrong people are!! It is Marty's tenacity and dogged determination which pays off in the end, but not without complications and more deaths.

I do hope that Marty finds time to have his operation and that the outcome will be positive because I am really hoping for further books.
on 13 October 2012
Regular readers of my blog and reviews will know that I have reviewed a couple of Matt Iden's books before, under the KBR name. When I saw that Matt had published the second of the Marty Singer novels I rushed straight to Amazon and downloaded the book....

It's hard to read any book in a series without comparing it to what has gone before... I really enjoyed the first Marty Singer book, A Reason to Live, and was worried that I would be disappointed by the follow up.

Singer is still retired and fighting cancer (although this is much less of a feature than in the first book). He is brought back into the force to investigate a spate of murders - all cops and it's Singer's task to work out the links, and stop the murderer before they strike again. This book is shorter than A Reason to Live, and there is far less of the peripheral story in this one, by that I mean the story surrounding Singer, his relationships and his cancer battle.

I was glad that Iden tentatively explored Singer's relationship with Amanda (read the first book to understand this relationship) but it did feel like it could have gone a little deeper. The beauty of the first book was that you gained an instant feel for Singer; you understand what makes him tick. I'm not sure this is as clear in Blueblood.

That said, Blueblood is a good, strong read. There are plenty of twists and turns and enough suspicious characters to keep you guessing until the end. You can come to your own judgements about some of the moral issues in the books (cops moonlighting etc) but Iden delivers the story well.

Iden has a strong future ahead of him in the Indie publishing world, and the follow up to Blueblood will be on my `to read list' and Iden is sure to feature in my top 5 indie writers of 2012.
on 26 February 2013
This is the first book I've read by this author, but I shall certainly look out for more. The plot concerns a retired Washington DC cop who is asked by an ex-colleague to investigate a series of cop killings. Is there a serial killer? If so, who could it be? And why those targets? The story is well-written, grabbing the reader's interest and holding it through twists and turns. The author doesn't waste time with flowery prose, but gets to grips with the facts and gets on with the story. A couple of typos were present, but nothing excessive. A good read - as good as many crime thrillers I've read, and better than most.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 October 2015
The first book was a tough act to follow, but Matthew Iden has managed it. Our protagonist, retired homicide detective Marty Singer is still struggling with his cancer diagnosis when an old colleague calls him and asks him if can investigate a series of cop-killings off the books as the brass won't co-operate with each other and don't want to consider the fact that there may be a killer out there targeting police officers with brutal violence.

This is a crime thriller with a well written main character and a mystery that will keep you engaged to the very end. It was a little shorter than Book #1, A Reason to Live, and I thought that the first book had more depth - this is a little simpler, a little more direct, without the emotional character development the first one gave us. I would definitely recommend reading the first and then this one straight away as a follow up.

I enjoyed this book very much, and love Marty's personality - determined and stubborn, whether he's dealing with a murderer or his own traitorous body, sarcastic and witty, and in my opinion, extremely likeable.

My thanks to Matthew Iden, Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for providing me with a review copy of this title.
on 5 July 2014
For being retired, Marty Singer is sure staying busy. With his Marty Singer character, Matthew Iden has a detective that will appeal to police procedural fans but is more complex than most in this genre. By virtue of being retired and his investigations being unofficial or off the books, Iden has a bit more leeway in what Singer can get away with while remaining credible. That his cases are not just doing his job seems to draw me in, getting me more invested in Marty’s cases, too.

As with the first of this series, I found this installment to be well written with a gripping plot, plenty of tension, and lots of mystery. Sometimes there was even a touch of humor, as in these lines:

I hung back to make room for a trio of twenty-something girls to pass, their eyes glittering with the prospect of shopping. It was never a good idea to get between a predator and her prey.

Blueblood should appeal to fans of police procedurals and anyone who likes a good mystery.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on 8 May 2013
I really enjoyed this a lot. I liked A Reason to Live too and gave it 4 stars as it had mistakes in but I found only one mistake in this whole book.....breaks when it should've been brakes-and that was it. So not only a terrific story again but a pleasurable read too !! Perfection.
A couple of times Marty made me laugh aloud at things he said or thought. I do like him a lot.
In this story he's still unwell and battling cancer and a cop asks if he'll help him investigate a cop killer who's operating in differing jurisdictions.
It was a nice an twisty-turny tale and I greatly enjoyed it and I look forward to Marty's third outing.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 October 2015
I really enjoyed reading the first book in this series,so couldn't wait to get started on this one.I really do like Marty,I like the vulnerability he has because of his illness,although he is starting to worry me in this book not having time to have an operation,make the time Marty ! This guy doesn't know how to put his feet up and take it easy and the book was as action packed and fast paced as the first one,its great to find a new series that I'm enjoying as much as this one, look forward to the next book now.
on 12 January 2014
Cancer-ridden, former detective, Marty Singer, is invited to look into what appears to be a case of a serial killer hunting down policemen.

Although Marty is a likeable protagonist, there is nothing flash about the writing or the plot, despite a twist or two. A lot of filler material made the going quite slow at times too.

In short, readers will probably like Marty, but there is not a great deal of depth or colour in this particular story.
on 10 July 2015
A very engaging book. The main character has been forced to retire from the police force on medical grounds. One of his old cases comes back to haunt him whilst he undergoes life saving medical treatment for the cancer that's eating him alive. The reason this book is so believable is that it catalogues Marty's struggles whilst be undergoes chemo and his attempt to protect the girl who seeks his and his help alone.
on 11 March 2014
I've had this book awhile on my kindle, I just finished the first book and also have this one and the next so I carried on reading. Book two carries on a few months after the first and I think this one is just as good if not better. I don't like putting about the stories in the reviews as I personally don't like spoilers. Would definitely recommend this book and am already well into book three.