5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
Published 18 months ago by Richard

We only needed this unit to extend our range a few feet more than the current range of our router but alas it couldn't do that. In fact when we placed this in the room next to the router the signal in that room was still stronger from the router than it was from this extender.

Published 9 months ago by Malvern Buyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor range and cannot connect from one room to the next through a single wall, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: NETGEAR WN1000RP-100UKS Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)

There are traffic lights to indicate the signal strength. If the extender is in the same room the light is green to show a good strength connection. However you only have to move it one room either way and the light is red. Our rooms are small, I am only talking 12ft from the router.

On the plus side the setup is a snip, you only press 2 buttons and bingo it has connected to your network and applied your current security settings. For us this was wpa2. I have given 2 stars purely for this.

No use to us though if it cannot actually extend the signal. What a shame, it seemed so hopeful. Our main router is Netgear and we have always been really happy with them.

Ah well time to box up and return. I think maybe we have been unlucky with a duff unit as there are so many positive reviews for this unit, hence why we bought it in the first place. It shows a poor strength connection in every room so maybe the aerial inside just

1.0 out of 5 stars What is it supposed to do?, 13 April 2014
I have tried this in several locations around the house but in each case the signal from it is even less than that of the WiFi router I am trying to boost. Perhaps it should have been called an 'anti-range extender'. I haven't read any of the other reviews, just took it at its word. In short it 'doesn't do what it says on the can'. In the end I went for one of those plug-in powerline adapters and these seem to do the job fairly well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Waste of Money, 29 Sept. 2014
What a waste of money. Thought this would be a cheap solution to a poor WiFi area in the house I share. Positioned it 1/2 way between the (BT) router and the no coverage area as instructed, green light for the signal so I assumed all was good. Connected the laptop to set it up and......
The original BT signal is stronger than the _ext signal unless you hold your mobile next to it. Worse still it seems to kill the speed also. We don't have fast internet, average of 2.5 mbs/s but through the netgear extender all I could manage was 0.6 mbs/s?????

Don't waste your money on this rubbish. Shouldn't have gone for the cheap option and should have bought home plug solution in the first place.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, 11 Jun. 2014
Netgear equipment always used to be good solid, reliable, value for money equipment for setting up home networks, and in the past I have recommended and set up home networks for family, friends and colleagues using Netgear equipment.

Unfortunately in more recent times I have had the misfortunate to experience extremely poor wireless routers, powerline adapters, NAS devices and now this Wi-Fi extender made by them.

As others have commented, the WPS connection to a BT HomeHub just doesn't seem to work. No big deal for me, I always prefer to get into the guts of the device and setup the connection manually, so went for this option instead, and got the extender to talk to my HomeHub successfully.

The reason for buying a WiFi extender? Obviously to extend my WiFi signal into the far corners of my house which are just on the edge of the otherwise excellent signal from the HomeHub.

Does this device do this? No.

Using an iPad to connect to the extender, I get the full three WiFi bars if I'm standing directly in front of the extender, within a few metres. If I move to the side of the extender, within the same room, barely 2m from it, it suddenly drops to 1 bar. In my other upstairs rooms, I'm getting 1 bar from the extender, while still managing 2 bars from the HomeHub.

So basically, utter rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars easy to setup but very poor signal range, 21 Jun. 2014
Yes it was easy to setup however i have had to put it so close to my router to get a signal its useless....the actual signal from ext network is not even as strong as my bt hub and i can connect devices to the hub from further distance. For some reason the netgear unit can pick up signal from the wifi network until virtually in the same room. Will go back in the box and noted as a waste of money

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well at first but keeps dropping ever since, 22 Dec. 2012
I was confused a bit by it being called 'for mobile' because really it boosts signal to anything. Easy to set up and worked right away on my laptop which is 2 thick walls away from my router. My internet has never been so fast. Thankfully have not had to use the customer helpline which sounds pretty bad...

Edit 2 weeks later: OK just feel the need to edit this a bit, as although it works MOST of the time, the extender quite often just drops the internet signal for minutes at a time. Right now I'm writing this connected to my original wifi signal, as my laptop is unable to connect to the _EXT one. Also I found that although internet surfing works great, download speed on the _EXT signal is a lot slower than on the original signal. (80mins for a movie on iTunes vs 40mins on normal network)

Edit few months later: Well I've dropped this to 1 star now. 75% of the time, it connects but just says 'no internet access' on the _EXT signal. The SKY signal that it extends, is fine and has not stopped once. I only have internet on the extender 25% of the time which is useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously pointless, 24 Jun. 2014
Such an absolute waste of money.
The WN1000RP extends WiFi by about a meter. It also, however, has pretty poor reception range itself, and so needs to be placed just close enough to the router to get good signal. This ends up meaning your WiFi reception is pretty much the same as it was before you wasted your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only worked in the same room as the router, 11 Jun. 2014
This device just did not work unless it was in the same room as the router which defeats the object. Returned and bought the TP- Link TL-WPA281 which works along side my other TP Links devices I have and this works a treat. Don't know why I did not buy this first, maybe it's because I'm a numpty.
Anyway, I now have wifi access whilst sitting in the garden. I would recommend this to those who wish to boast their wifi throughout their household as this works with other TP Links.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 6 Sept. 2013
Richard "Reviewer" (Derbyshire England) - See all my reviews
This review applies to Netgear WN1000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender. Setup is easy as others have described using the WPS button on the router and the one on the extender. Make sure the extender and the router are in close proximity to each other when setting up. However after you have linked the extender to the router you can move the extender but you must plug it in where the signal from the router is strong, otherwise the signal will drop out frequently. You will see the Netgear's wireless network on your device(s) shown as the original router network name followed by .EXT and you will need to enter your original router password here for the Netgear extender to work. Subsequent unplugging of the Netgear Extender does not cause a problem as it reconnects automatically when powered up again. A very good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for us, 7 April 2014
Tim B. (Rugby, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this to extend the wifi in a pretty standard 4 bed house. Property has been extended, so one of the inner walls was previously the external wall...so is much thicker. Purchased this to punch through that and fix the issue. Placed it in the room directly above the router where there is a good signal. Tested the new boosted signal, the other side of the thick wall...about 2m away from extender...very weak and poor signal. The original router signal is stronger?

Therefore...this simply didn't work for us...returned...