5.0 out of 5 stars A Dilemma
This camera has presented me with a real dilemma. I bought the camera body only but with the free pancake lens to compliment my Olympus E620 as a light easy to carry alternative to share lenses through the Olympus adaptor.
But the image quality blows the E620 away and I was really pleased before.

Comparing a like for like image using my superb Zuiko 11-22...
Published 15 months ago by Mr. Jonathan Pratt

1.0 out of 5 stars camera ok but lens is a JOKE
for taking photos,
14-42 mm kit LENS by olympus
for pm2 is one of the worst out there...
NOT SHARP at all
be ready for massive photoshopping of ALL your photos
might as well get a tiny compact camera at half price, it is much sharper.
thanks

japan amazon sells this pc of nonsense for about usd 120 btw

and uk...
Published 15 months ago by kay bhee

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dilemma, 13 July 2013
Mr. Jonathan Pratt "japratt2" (Cambridgeshire UK) - See all my reviews
But the image quality blows the E620 away and I was really pleased before.

Comparing a like for like image using my superb Zuiko 11-22 lens on Photoshop Actual Pixels view, the difference in resolution and sharpness is outstanding.

I love the optical viewfinder on the E620 and it is the only camera to use with my 70-300 lens, the auto focus on the Pen is a little slower, but the quality . . . .

One thing is for sure, this is a superb camera that has far exceeded my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price, 17 Aug 2013
I purchased this for £450 from amazon, and, when combined with the free pancake lens offer from Olympus, means that I've ended up with a compact system camera that takes superb quality pictures plus the three lenses that I wanted and an 8GB FlashAir SD card for an absolute bargain.

I have a few niggles: sometimes it doesn't autofocus on the expected subject when snapping pictures quickly (i.e. press the shutter button without having time to check the focus); choosing the settings you want can be a bit fiddly - for example, I'd like to be able to get in and out of the bracketing mode quickly; I couldn't get the FlashAir card supplied to work - laptop connected wirelessly, but browser couldn't find the card. But the main reason I bought the camera was to have something that was not much bigger than a compact, but which took DSLR quality pictures and that's what this does. Then what's the point of having the ability to change lenses if you then only have one lens - with this deal I've got the three lenses that I'm most likely to use. And if I want to buy a second body later which corrects some of these niggles I can, without having to change the lenses.

Build quality of the body is decent - better than the rather plasticky Panasonic Lumix cameras, and the camera is nicely styled. Lenses have smooth operation, are solidly built and optics are good (as judged by the quality of pictures), though with plastic, not metal, housing. However, they are compact and lightweight.

I considered the canon, as the price was very competitive and now they've fixed the autofocus issue with a firmware update, I think would have been an excellent choice. But it has very few lenses (in particular it doesn't have the long zoom lens), unless you get the expensive converter and then use canon DSLR lenses, in which case you may as well get a DSLR.

I have also since purchased the VF3 electronic viewfinder, which I managed to get for £119 from amazon. It arrived after our summer holiday, so haven't had much of a chance to use it, but it was the one feature I did want that might have made me choose e.g. Sony NEX 6. Like the lenses it has a plastic housing, but it does it's job and picture quality is decent enough. I think I will use it quite a lot, as I have found the LCD screen on the camera hard to see in bright sunlight. Also I need my reading glasses to look at the LCD screen, but not when framing through the viewfinder, so when walking about I can put my reading glasses away and keep my sunglasses at hand instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff in a little package, 24 Dec 2012
I am a professional photographer looking for a light weight option for travel that gives close to high end SLR quality.
I bought the E-PM2 as a cheap way to test the micro four thirds concept, it is claimed to give OMD quality without the bells and whistles.

I bought quality Olympus lenses to team up with the camera because you can't really assess a camera with just the 'kit' lens.

The images from the camera have exceeded my expectations I am finding no more noise than I experienced with a Canon 7D, in fact the noise seems to be less in most situations. The output doesn't get close to 5D2 cleanness but I wouldn't expect it to.

Be aware that the screen is designed in wide format so when you use the native 4x3 it will be centred and black both sides, I don't find this an issue at all. When you shoot video or wide format you appreciate the extra width.

The camera gives full control of exposure and other parameters, however they are accessed through menus or the very usable touch screen. There are very few dials, this takes a bit of getting used to after a pro SLR and the menus are comprehensive so you need to take time to get to know your way around, once you do it's a breeze. The touch screen is excellent, especially when working on a tripod (which I do most of the time) the touch focus works very well. If there is one thing I was tempted to mark the camera down on it's the zoom feature on the touch screen, this is by a slider rather than the familiar two fingered pinch method of the iPad and Canon T4i...not a big issue though.

I was looking for a compact system with less bulk and weight than my Pro SLR gear...this where the M43 (Micro four thirds) scores very highly. I packed two cameras, charger, 6 lenses, EVF, flash, tripod, easily into a man-bag style cabin carry on that was no bigger than my wife's handbag/purse. I mention the tripod because the lighter camera means a much lighter tripod can do the business.

The kit lens is OK, but I'm not that keen on the 'fold away' style, it is compact but slightly annoying so as a general lens I have gone for the Oly 12-50mm with built in Macro. This is a great lens for garden and plant photography, the Macro feature saves carrying a macro lens around and produces very acceptable results. It doesn't quite make 1:1 so not truly macro.

Build quality is impressive, I think the camera will stand up to my fairly harsh usage very well.

The E-PM2 has impressed me enough that I will be looking to buy an Oly OMD as the next stage in my gradual move from full frame to M43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera., 7 Jun 2013
I was out for new DSLR actually and could not choose between Nikon 5200 and Canon 650D. Then I started thinking about size of these cameras and lenses and how I manage to get everything in to one cabin baggage for holiday. The pennie dropped and I started looking at new system cameras instead. The choice was Panasonic G5 or Olympus. After visiting local camera store to have my hands on the Panasonic I didn't like the handling of it and specially sticky and hard to use zoom on lenses. So Olympus it was and as Amazon had price dropped to £427 by this time I bought it.
When it arrived I was amazed by quality and looks of it(I bought white with silver lenses), very easy to use once you install PDF instructions from CD disc supplied and read through it properly.
Pictures are looking amazing, with rich colours and sharp. Very proffesional once you use some menu options.
I'm very happy with this camera and would recomend it to anybody out there looking for small system camera with pro features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Image Quality With A 17mm Special Bonus!, 3 Sep 2013
I bought the E-PM2 to replace my six-year-old Ricoh GX200. This new camera is small and light and takes great pictures. It has a extensive range of settings which I'm very happy with despite negative comments from other owners about the lack of buttons. With an 8GB FlashAir card and an extra free 17mm lens included in the price, the Amazon deal was too good to ignore. However, you need to claim the additional 17mm lens direct from Olympus and, having gone through the claim process on 04 August, I am still awaiting delivery on 03 September. Olympus advise that the lens is on it's way but that it can take up to another 15 days to reach me. Bearing in mind this camera has no built-in viewfinder, I have invested in an Olympus VF-3 which fits neatly to the camera via the hot-shoe.

I have now received my free 17mm lens and it certainly was worth waiting for. I was already delighted with the picture quality both for still photos and movies using the 14-42mm lens which was included with the camera and this 17mm lens is at least as good. I believe the Olympus lens offer finishes on 15 September 2013 and I would urge anyone considering the E-PM2 to take advantage of this great offer. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Olympus Pen E-PM2 Compact System Camera - Red (16.1 MP, M.ZUIKO Digital 14 -42mm II R Lens) (Electronics)
The main reasons why I bought this camera are: the compact size and a large sensor from the Micro Four Thirds system cameras, for great image quality at an affordable price. It is fast, has great performance in low light, and is much lighter than other mirrorless cameras, as the image stabilizer is in the body of the camera and not in the lens. The built of the camera oozes quality too, and the grip makes a real difference. I couldn't be happier with this camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gadget purchase of the year...., 18 Aug 2013
Purchased my lovely EPM2 at the end of June, so have had plenty of time to get accustomed to all its functions, and what a pleasure it has been.

The camera takes pin sharp photos, is quick to focus on a chosen subject, and the low light photos and overall colour rendition is just wonderful! Natural and not over-saturated in any way.

For some time now (at least a year), I had wanted to purchase a lens changing camera, but had always been put off by the size of the dslrs that were on offer. Finally, this year I decided on the Nex 3n, but after much research decided against the model, due to its lack of full manual control. Next choice was the Canon 100d. Again, although the smallest dslr currently available, it just was not small enough that I would feel comfortable taking street photos. Final choice was the Lumix GF6. I liked its functionality, and IQ appeared to be of a high standard, but lens size was an issue.

So eventually, and by complete chance (Epm2 was not even on my list), I opted for the Olympus double zoom kit, and am oh so thoroughly pleased with my choice. I enjoy handling it, looking at it, changing its lenses, (3 in total, with promo lens), taking photos, examining the photos, taking the camera out and just using it in every way. I find it handles well and is just a real pleasure.

I happily add my voice alongside all the positive 5-star reviews already given. I would fully encourage anyone considering a dslr alternative to give the Epm2 serious consideration. Go try it out at your local cam shop! But get it quick if you would like the additional bonus 17mm lens which is just a top performer (instant focus; excellent low-light photo capture).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very good product, 10 May 2014
Good sensor, full-light pictures, touch screen display, definitely a good product.

It has been hard to get VAT invoice from the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 18 May 2013
It takes really good photos and has Lots of good effects and features without being to heavy or cumbersome. It has an auto mode if you just want to point and press and other modes for the more avid photographer. The zoom lenses are excellent. I love the touch screen on the back, it focuses whee you touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar., 21 Jun 2013
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The Olympus PEN system cameras are digital mirrorless compacts with interchangeable lenses. There are three subdivisions, the 'plain' PEN, PEN lite and PEN mini. The former is aimed at the more professional market and the latter two said to be targetted at amateurs. They all share the ability to function as fully automatic point and shoots, or allow varying degrees of manual ccntrol, and combine the ease of use of a modern digital camera with near SLR image quality.

The EPM2 is the most recent of the mini range and I think considerably more attractive than the EPM1 - Olympus have returned to the retro look that made these cameras so sought after when the range first launched 4 or 5 years back. This model is very comfortable (in small female hands), with the hand grip on the front and the thumb rest on the back positioned perfectly. The camera has a solid and well made feel, but is not too weighty. I got the white version with tan leather effect grips and it looks fab, together with the silver 14-42mm kit lens supplied.

When I was reading up on this camera before purchase I learned that the menu had been simplified such that some of the functions were renamed to have less technical terms e.g 'blur' instead of 'bokeh', making the camera easier to use for a wider ranger of people. That said I don't find the menus particularly easy to navigate once you are out of basic 'iauto', 'scene' or 'pop art' modes, so I don't know that this renaming of technical function counts for much if you can't easily get to the appropriate sub menus in the first place. If I read the guide more thoroughly I'm sure I could figure it out, but I find it somewhat irritating that a camera supposedly aimed at the less knowledgable end of the market isn't slightly more intuitive. Still, Olympus aren't alone in this and it's really my only major gripe with the EPM2.

The touchscreen function is very handy for scrolling though pics and zooming in on replayed images, but the focus/shoot from tapping the screen option is mildly annoying - I kept accidentally taking pics of my lap and knees on a recent trip to Barcelona, so am I'm now keeping this function turned off and using the shutter depress button in preference.

What is beyond question though is the image quality. The EPM2 delivers cracking pictures (in common with the rest of the PEN range - I had an EPL1 before this and that was fab as well). Superb colours, right across the board, with deep blue skies, lush green vegetation, subtle earth tones, hot pinks, neons and warm yellows all reproducing beautifully and richly. Incredible detail in skies (eggshell clouds where other point and shoots just give you white, night skies stay blue-black, not brown), excellent handling of light and shade within the same shots with no over compensation in the darker areas. Crisp detail - you can see individual hairs in a dogs fur coat, and miniscule scratches in a parquet floor. Incredibly fast focus - I think it vies with one of the Panasonic models for best in class. And none of this should come as any real surprise - after all this camera shares a sensor with O-MD model which is around the £1000 mark!

Two last things. I wish this came with the 17mm pancake lens as a kit option. I wish it came with a wrist strap instead of a neck strap. Not withstanding these minor gripes, this is a fantastic camera, and I think that the EPM2, along with the rest of the PEN range, offers unbeatable value and image quality for the money.