1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality reference book for the serious student, 15 Aug 2012
A good hefty hardback, sensible page layouts, and high quality printing and paper. This book covers a lot of different skills in quite significant depth. As with all authors it is subject to taste, but I like Brian L. Smith's teaching style very much. He explains the thinking behind the doing, whilst demonstrating with examples you can follow by simply reading, or actually performing. There is definitely a lot of content with real value here. I am just about to begin the third year of a 3D Animation Arch-Viz degree, and at this point I can start to see how techniques can quickly become dated while others are bread and butter for years. I'm now using this book as an occasional reference in order to inform myself of options regarding different approaches to efficient workflow. I don't really feel this book looks to the future very much and as a consequence find myself questioning if some techniques are going to be valid in a cutting edge work environment this time next year. That said, this guy has probably forgotten more than I know (to coin a phrase), and I doubt I will ever digest all the valuable info in this well produced resource.

Probably actually a 4.5 star, but it's not cheap (nor should it be if it's to be good), but it doesn't cover everything of course. So an investment to be seriously considered.