I had read this Russian classic before in paperback, and had really enjoyed it. But I found this Kindle edition very disappointing. There are a lot of typos and formatting errors which in some places are so bad it really breaks up the story. Nor could I find any credits for the translation. It might not be very pricey, but I would rather have paid more and got something properly proofread. I don't think this is the complete version, either, but I am not sure without rereading the paperback (and it was to avoid having to track downa hard copy version that I bought the Kindle one). As far as the novel goes, it's a wonderful, evocative piece of work. As far as this edition goes, it's inadequate.
on 8 February 2015
Since becoming an ereader format fanatic during 2010 i have read many factual and fictional books including many of the classics. My kindle paperwhite is my constant companion.The White Guard , New Grub Street, The Remains of the Day, Mlle. Fouchette A Novel of French Life and The Romanovs: The Final Chapter have all become favourites of mine.The White Guard is enthrawling.
on 23 February 2013
Really enjoyed this book. Bulgakov is truly one of the great Russian writers. This is really atmospheric tale of a tragic period in Russian history.
on 4 April 2013
Its simply a classic, as good in its way as Tolstoy, maybe more accessible. Atmospheric and beautiful and, being Russian, tragic.
on 21 May 2013
An excellent evocation of a grim and complex period. Told with wit and realism. I read it in Kiev, and could more or less trace the action across the city.
on 1 February 2015
Great novel about Russia during its civil war. Well worth a read.
on 3 April 2016
Turgid and difficult to read as not quite sure who is who
on 1 October 2015
A good read -
on 10 September 2015
The use Persil. No' like that Mousey Tung's RID guard. They're aw tubes, so they are.
on 16 February 2015
This book is a continuation of the great Russian novel.