5.0 out of 5 stars ALAN MOORE IS A LEGEND
No amount of hyperbole can do this book the justice it deserves.
Quite simply it is stunning, gob-smacking, fantastic, gripping, repulsive, compelling, hilarious, shocking, chilling...(add any extra superlatives you like)...
Impossible to summarise just how much of an effect this book had after the first time I read it. You won't so much read From Hell as...
Published on 5 Oct. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A well researched tale that differs to the well-known film
Now, I am no expert on comics, I don't have a collection or ever read them that much - but from time to time, I do. Recently I purchased the hardback copy of From Hell and here's what I thought of it.

Published on 22 Oct. 2012 by The Truth

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stays with you., 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: From Hell (Kindle Edition)
Any book that is on your mind after you put it down and makes you ask fundamental questions it's a big 5 stars in my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Comic Ever Written, 8 Jun. 2001
This review is from: From Hell (Paperback)
In my mind this, moreso than Watchmen, is the best comic work ever. Only by reading Moore's appendices can you truely understand how accurate and how mind-boggilingly detailed this story is. Described as a "meditation on murder and the twentieth centuary", the lengthy but fascinating story is aided by Eddie Cambells incredible artwork. The combined result is a brilliant, and often disturbing, look at the Ripper crimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can i say, Alan Moore rocks!, 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: From Hell (Paperback)
What more can i say, Alan Moore rocks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good..., 5 July 2008
This review is from: From Hell (Paperback)
I read this book over the course of one week,yes it was gripping,yes it was good but lets not get too excited it wasnt great. 2 chapters were so dialogue heavy that I wondered why moore bothered making this a comic and didnt just write a novel. Waaaaaay to much of the book requires you to read the appendix at the back to make any sense of and I'm sorry but I find that both irratating and unimpressive,if the book was really well written I wouldnt need clarification of anyhting. Moore has an obsession with making people see comics as art and make them respected like any great novel or film and it causes him to forget why people read comics in the first place,fun! The art is good,very fitting to the period piece nature of the book. I would recommend this book to try but try and sneak a read in a book shop or borrow a friends before investing,its not for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best graphic novel you will read., 19 Feb. 2006
This review is from: From Hell (Paperback)
This is a work of genius from the greatest comic writer in the business.I've been reading comics for 25 years and followed these guys since the begining.This is the best work to date.Buy this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars A well researched tale that differs to the well-known film, 22 Oct. 2012
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: From Hell (Paperback)

I wanted to buy The Stand Omnibus but Forbidden Planet didn't have it. On the shelf though, I saw this, and not even knowing this was originally a comic book, and having seen the film and quite liked it, I picked up a copy.

The first thing I noticed about this tale was it was penned by Alan Moore, who I'm sure most people know - even I do and I'm not a comic book follower. The second thing I noticed was the style of illustrations. They were a bit loose for my liking; a bit of a scrawl. But in a way they quite suited the tale they were telling and the London of that time. I would have liked them to be a bit better (as on the whole they weren't that good in my opinion), although every now and then there was some nice artwork and it did have a certain style to it.

Thirdly, the story is dramatically different to the film. It shares a similar theme in a broad sense (Masonic murders and Royal cover-ups) but in the comic, the tale of Jack the Ripper is told as much, or if not more, from the Ripper's perspective as it is from detective Aberline's. Obviously, this is because a much more 'murder mystery' feel was needed in the film to hold peoples interest - and personally I liked this [the film's] approach better.

There were chunks in this though that didn't appear in the film. Huge swathes that gave the tale a much more occult feel. Elements that were not fully, in my opinion explained in the comic - although there was a section at the back of the book detailing in the authors words everything that was happening in every scene - so you could look for an explanation if you so choose.

As I said though, I'm not a diehard comic fan, so I lacked the motivation (or rather the book failed to inspire in me the motivation) to thoroughly read this section. I did like the book though, and appreciated the effort Alan Moore had gone to to research it. It was a very accurate account (as much as it can be, I guess) of one persons take on the Whitechapel murders, which Moore has given an occult twist of his very own. It was an OK read but I wasn't blown away. But then again, I have yet to be blown away by any graphic novel.

This gets a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me - fans of graphic novels or experts on such matters might well think it deserves more. Perhaps, it does. I can only give you my thoughts having just read it which are: it's good - but forgive the pun - it's not exactly a 'ripping' yarn. Also, although strangely suited to it, I think the artwork let it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 April 2015
Fantastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 May 2008
Heavy on craft jargon and historic detail. This is good and bad. Footnotes necessary. Disturbing subject matter unsuitable for youngsters.
An interesting story. Quality of the artwork is not the best at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 April 2015