5.0 out of 5 stars LIVE...AT LAST!
It has been a long time since the release of the last live AC/DC album, which in many ways seemed to fall slightly short of expectations.

This album seems to have it all, including three differing covers to satisfy (or fleece!) the completists.

Published on 19 Nov 2012 by HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV)

3.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl version review
Note, this is a review of the vinyl version of Live at River Plate, not the cd.

Unfortunately I have some issues with it:

1. Although Amazon describe the LP as a [box set]. This is extremely misleading, it is just a normal non-gatefold record cover - somewhat cheap feeling.

2. The discs only weigh 150g each. (They are made from red vinyl...
Published on 20 Nov 2012 by R. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars LIVE...AT LAST!, 19 Nov 2012
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)

It is unclear why River Plate was chosen above so many of the other wonderful gigs on the tour (I saw them at Wembley and it was superb). However, the result is terrific, with Angus's classic guitar delivery and Brian's ever-rasping vocals.

The album has energy, power (not bad of a bunch of 50+ guys)and a wonderful track selection which gives us a taster of the different eras. Nice packaging too.

Sonically, it is a great listen.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A proper live album, 20 Nov 2012
Christopher Bailey "Chris Bailey" (Wirral, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
This is the live album I`ve been waiting for, I have been expecting it for 10 years, and knew they would evetually put one out with Phil Rudd on drums, this is, in my opinion better than 1992`s "Live", the tracks are not faded in and out, and Angus`s guitar has the right sound, but the best improvement is the drums, although Chris Slade is a terrific drummer, he`s not the right man for AC/DC, it`s got to be Rudd, these flaws are pointed out in my review of "Live", but enough of the negatives of that album, this sounds great, I won`t do a track by track thing, but all the expected anthems are here, with 4 songs from Black Ice, I`ve seen them many times since 1991, and this captures them perfectly, and on top form.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl version review, 20 Nov 2012
R. Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At River Plate [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Note, this is a review of the vinyl version of Live at River Plate, not the cd.

Unfortunately I have some issues with it:

2. The discs only weigh 150g each. (They are made from red vinyl though)

3. The production is rather thin and flat

4. This may not bug most people but at the end of each side the crowd noise is not slowly faded to silence it just suddenly cuts out - jarring. Of course I know I'm just an old fart who grew up with 70's live LP's but it only takes a slow drop of the master slide to fade each side - 30 minutes work maybe.

On the plus side the actual performance from the band is as you would expect.

Overall a cheaply made product that, with a bit of time and care, could have been a great treasure for vinyl fans - instead it's a bit of a disapointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let there be rock...., 19 Nov 2012
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
20 years after the last live disc,its been along time coming, as the soundtrack to the previously released DVD,its a bit of cheat as its not a new live album in the truest sense of the word but it's still most welcome.

Thundering rock as performed as only AC/DC can , a set list to die for(I quite enjoyed the Black Ice disc),all the classics and a band on top of their game,no need for a track by track run thru,we all know them,suffice to say they are played perfectly,only Brian Johnson's vocals laboured but havent they always been?

Great to hear the crowd going mental,that's what live discs are all about,a moment in time,captured to be relived over and over. A great release at a sensible price,well worth buying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ride on, 29 Nov 2012
J. F. Scott "frazs" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
I'm a committed fan of many's a campaign with AC/DC. Normally I'm a bit of a completist when it comes to my favourite band. But this time...no. This is fans being taken for a ride. There is no new material...we all bought the DVD to remember what was a fantastic tour. This is just record company and band greed. This should have been given away with the DVD release perhaps as a deluxe edition. It doesn't warrant a further £10 of your hard earned. So save your money. If you must buy it then wait. It will get cheaper...they usually do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capturing Master Young in a Bottle, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
It is amazing that 20 years ago, when AC/DC released their last live record, they were considered pretty much a spent force when it came to studio albums. I remember reading a review of "live" in Kerrang or Metal Hammer, in which the reviewer who gave "Live" 5 out of 5, stated that this was the only time now in AC/DC's career, that he could for see giving the band top marks.
How times have changed, with "Ball Breaker", "Stiff upper lip" & "Black Ice" (admittedly this album is a little hit & miss, but it will do), AC/DC's credibility has gone through the roof, being named checked by everybody as a major influence.
Which is why "River Plate" is much more than just a nostalgia concert, which is what you would get if it was The Stones or The Who releasing a new live record.
The new songs slot in well with the classic tracks(although no songs from "Ball Breaker", or "Stiff upper..", which is a shame) & the crowd are on fire, even doing harmonics, which I've never heard before at an AC/DC gig. The band still gives an energetic performance considering their ripe old age.
Live albums always work better, when there recorded from one venue, instead of a whole tour, constantly fading in & out after each song, losing momentum. But "River Plate" feels like a one off special event, which always makes a live more appearing to listen to.It is interesting that back in the 70's & 80's, rock bands would regularly release a live album every 3-4-studio albums, but "AC/DC Live" was one of the last big selling live albums (Thanks Kirk Cobain).
Nowadays it only really Iron Maiden that do live albums, so it a little difficult to judge "River Plate" by contemporary standards, but then again AC/DC have never concerned themselves with shifting musical fashions.
The only nit-pick I have, is that it's a shame AC/DC didn't record the gig in a small club, like The Stones have been doing in 2012, perhaps that could be the band next live venture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Album's Don't Get Better Than This, 10 May 2014
Timelord007 (The Eccentric Wanderer) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
This 2 disc cd live album showcases the power of ACDC live taken from there Black Ice tour in Bueno Aries in 2009.

This live album proves that these ole rockers still got there mojo performing many of there classic songs & new material from the Black Ice album.

Heavy guitar riffs by Angus Young & booming vocals by Brian Johnson this album is ACDC at there live best & captures the band on top rockin form.

Timelord Rating.
10/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old..., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
I bought their last live album so I already have twelve of the tracks featured here. A little variation in their set list for the last tour might have provided the opportunity for greater variety. Unfortunately they played the same set list every night for two years, pretty much as they have done since the early eighties, with just a few songs from the latest album mixed in. Sadly, as they pretty much ignore every album since 1980s Back-in-black, this makes the tours repetitive in the extreme and turns AC/DC into a heritage act. I love AC/DC, which is why the sheer laziness of it all gets on my nerves.

I also bought their last live DVD, so I own this soundtrack without needing to buy this CD. Led Zeppelin thoughtfully sold their recent live DVD and CD (Celebration Day) together in one package and it's in my supermarket for a tenner. AC/DC on the other hand went for the 'least effort / most profit' option of selling the DVD and soundtrack separately.

I've been to every tour and brought every album since the early eighties. The music on this is good of course - AC/DC performances are consistently excellent - but the repetition and the laziness is killing my love for this band. Yes, there are lots of songs that 'have' to be played every night but, for God's sake, mix in some surprises now and again, or do the odd one-off gig of rarely heard songs, and then release a live album with some surprises on as well; the Stones did it with 'Stripped' - it can't be beyond AC/DC.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... got three AC-DC live albums and they always sound great. I've seen the Concert video on You Tube ..., 27 July 2014
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
I'e now got three AC-DC live albums and they always sound great. I've seen the Concert video on You Tube and it look and sounded great. Although Malcolm Young is ill at the moment I would love to see them at Glasto 15 but first lose those annoying bloody flags this is a Rock Show not a Navy demonstration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gentle "Buyer Beware", 19 Nov 2012
A. W. Wilson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live At River Plate (Audio CD)
As a huge AC/DC fan I bought this without a second thought on day of release, only to discover that it is the SOUNTRACK of the DVD of the same name issued last year (which of course, I have). Now, I know this is down to me, but it puzzles and annoys me a bit that there is no mention whatsoever of the DVD on the CD notes or cover, and I think there should have been. In the final analysis, as big fan, I should have realised that the 2 are the same, and I just may have got the CD anyway (as a bit of a completist), but I just thought I should tell the world...so others know and can make their minds up...but when will we get a new one boys??

Live At River Plate [VINYL]
Live At River Plate [VINYL] by AC/DC (Vinyl - 2012)