Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 25 January 2014
Fantastic! but where is the DVD? I understand their are no future plans to release this as told by the BBC.

I am one of thousands if not millions of fans who would like to purchase the DVD.

BBC wake up and listen to what we want!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 December 2012
If you have watched (BBC Proms) on TV or been to concerts of John Wilson and his orchestra's performances, then you will know how infectious the music can be under his baton, even if you are not the biggest fan of musicals. This recording of Rogers & Hammerstein shows that were made into movies, is so well put together for the album and so beautifully recorded, I would think it is almost neglectful not to make a gift of it to your loved ones who are fans of the musicals. If that fan is yourself, then what are you waiting for!

I bought it for my Mum and she plays it at least once a week. She is definitely a big fan of the musicals and now of Mr JW and his Orchestra and I'm really happy I bought this CD for her. I hope John Wilson continues to record the repertoire just as he has year after year dazzled the audiences at the BBC Proms.
on 27 October 2012
A wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane with the great music of Rodgers & Hammerstein with the excellent John Wilson Orchestra. This CD will certainly be played again & again.
I have been to many of John Wilson's concerts and the man can arrange wonderfully and his musicians are the best. This collection of Rodgers & Hammerstein classics is very pleasant but the recording when listened to through headphones lacks depth and the vocals are rather stark. I admire Julian Ovenden for singing "Soliloquy" but again the recording does not do him justice (just like on his own Decca album) and I cannot understand how with all the modern equipment that must be available in the studio this was not identified prior to release. It should not be necessary to have very very expensive hi fi to enjoy a CD and EMI should understand this. I do not know why track times are missing but it is a basis bit of information that collectors require.
on 8 November 2012
First thing I will say Is the performers are great. I like vocal interpretations.
The problem as others have mentioned Is the sound quality. If you just listen in the car and are not into Hi-Fi you probably wouldn't notice but compared to the first album it is a very flat two dimensional sound.
The way it is mixed it sounds like they only had the whole string section and half of the rest. On the first album for example the Harp is full sounding. On this album it sounds like it is being played in the room next door.
There seems to be less reverb applied to the vocals which makes it obvious they are in a booth separate from the orchestra.
It's a shame because I saw them for the first time at the Royal Festival Hall last week and they were fantastic.
on 31 October 2012
Having purchased John Wilson's "That's Entertainment" i was really looking forward to the release of this CD of Rodgers and Hammerstein music. Whilst i have no complaints about the selection of music, or the vocal performances, the recording quality is terrible. This is all the more surprising since the CD was (mostly) recorded in the famous Abbey Road studios. There is absolutely no depth to the recording, it's very flat and lifeless. A real contrast to "That's Entertainment" which has a rich and full sound, much like the original MGM recordings which were recorded on the famous scoring stage in Culver City. For his next recording i'm hoping that John will book that same recording stage (now called the Barbra Streisand Scoring Stage at Sony Studios)and re-create the wonderful full sound of the original recordings.
on 4 November 2012
Hurray for Holly wood and Hurray for John Wilson.I absolutly loved it.I can't wait for him to do another recording.If you love Hollywood musicals you will love this album.
on 16 July 2013
This is a brilliant evocation of the fabulous music that was "Top of the Pops" before the term was ever invented. If you ever loved the old MGM musicals, then this is the Disc for you. Fantastic orchestration, superb musicians, both classical and swing and I have almost worn my copy out, through constant playing. Highly recommended.
on 28 December 2012
How could John Wilson allow this C.D. to bear his impeccable hallmark. I purchased this as an Xmas present for my Alzheimers ridden husband as music is a great therapy to him and John Wilson he admires - nay worships. The sound quality is appalling and sent my husband into disarray that his music player was on the blink. I would gladly have paid whatever price to have given him an excellent experience of his hero's latest product. What has happened to DVD's - in the past they were excellent - and That's Entertainment is still his favourite. Greatly disappointed.
on 31 March 2016
Hi Everyone - WHERE IS THE DVD ????? CD's are finished when compared to live performances of video where so much more is available to the listener/viewer. When will the BBC take notice. The BBC is a piublic body and should listen. Sack the person who decided to produce just a CD and employ someone who has a brain and can see that a lot more money could go into the public company by producing DVD'S!! Start a petition to the BBC sayonara