5.0 out of 5 stars John Wilson CD.
A wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane with the great music of Rodgers & Hammerstein with the excellent John Wilson Orchestra. This CD will certainly be played again & again.
Published 17 months ago by abcman

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality should have been better
First thing I will say Is the performers are great. I like vocal interpretations.
The problem as others have mentioned Is the sound quality. If you just listen in the car and are not into Hi-Fi you probably wouldn't notice but compared to the first album it is a very flat two dimensional sound.
The way it is mixed it sounds like they only had the whole string...
Published 17 months ago by Richard H

5.0 out of 5 stars John Wilson CD., 27 Oct 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality should have been better, 8 Nov 2012
The way it is mixed it sounds like they only had the whole string section and half of the rest. On the first album for example the Harp is full sounding. On this album it sounds like it is being played in the room next door.
There seems to be less reverb applied to the vocals which makes it obvious they are in a booth separate from the orchestra.
It's a shame because I saw them for the first time at the Royal Festival Hall last week and they were fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great compositions but not the best of recording..., 10 Oct 2012
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have been to many of John Wilson's concerts and the man can arrange wonderfully and his musicians are the best. This collection of Rodgers & Hammerstein classics is very pleasant but the recording when listened to through headphones lacks depth and the vocals are rather stark. I admire Julian Ovenden for singing "Soliloquy" but again the recording does not do him justice (just like on his own Decca album) and I cannot understand how with all the modern equipment that must be available in the studio this was not identified prior to release. It should not be necessary to have very very expensive hi fi to enjoy a CD and EMI should understand this. I do not know why track times are missing but it is a basis bit of information that collectors require.

5.0 out of 5 stars hurray for hollywood, 4 Nov 2012
Hurray for Holly wood and Hurray for John Wilson.I absolutly loved it.I can't wait for him to do another recording.If you love Hollywood musicals you will love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for fans of R&H, 30 Dec 2012
maximus (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you have watched (BBC Proms) on TV or been to concerts of John Wilson and his orchestra's performances, then you will know how infectious the music can be under his baton, even if you are not the biggest fan of musicals. This recording of Rogers & Hammerstein shows that were made into movies, is so well put together for the album and so beautifully recorded, I would think it is almost neglectful not to make a gift of it to your loved ones who are fans of the musicals. If that fan is yourself, then what are you waiting for!

I bought it for my Mum and she plays it at least once a week. She is definitely a big fan of the musicals and now of Mr JW and his Orchestra and I'm really happy I bought this CD for her. I hope John Wilson continues to record the repertoire just as he has year after year dazzled the audiences at the BBC Proms.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rodgers and Hammerstein at the movies, 28 Dec 2012
How could John Wilson allow this C.D. to bear his impeccable hallmark. I purchased this as an Xmas present for my Alzheimers ridden husband as music is a great therapy to him and John Wilson he admires - nay worships. The sound quality is appalling and sent my husband into disarray that his music player was on the blink. I would gladly have paid whatever price to have given him an excellent experience of his hero's latest product. What has happened to DVD's - in the past they were excellent - and That's Entertainment is still his favourite. Greatly disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, even to my untrained ear, 9 Oct 2012
I was very, very disappointed with this CD. Instead of turning up the volume, I had to lower it due to the distortion. It sounded as though it had been recorded from someone's original 78's.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Gem in my Music Collection, 6 Mar 2014
As always tuneful and excellent- something I can listen to in the car and sing along to (without anyone listening to ME!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 8 Feb 2014
Loads of old favourites in here. The orchestra is first class and the songs are all well known for film fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tunes, 7 Feb 2014
J. M. Cutler (Cotswolds, UK) - See all my reviews
I think those of us who saw the movies from which these are taken may not have appreciated fully at the time how wonderful the music is too. Every track here is a winner, beautifully and expertly performed. A joy.

ARRAY(0xb74b08e4)