Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: CLASSIC|Change
Price:£3.72+ Free shipping

on 21 August 2014
I bought these hinges to replace the original ones on a resin toilet seat originally bought from Argos. I had read on here other reviews from people who had to redrill the mounting holes to get them to fit, but I took a chamce and ordered them anyway.

Well they went straight on, fitting perfectly and are virtually identical to the original ones. However, the reason they had to be replaced was that the mounting hole for the threaded stud on one of the old hinges had stripped. This is apparently a common fault. The old hinges used to repeatedly undo themselves - the threaded stud kept loosening. I would recommend therefore that you also purchase replacement conical section washers:

4 RUBBER NON SLIP TOILET SEAT HINGE FITTINGS FOR FIXING LOOSE TOILET SEATS. FOR CHROME AND BRASS HINGES ON WOODEN, RESIN, PLASTIC, MAHOGANY,WHITE, OAK & NOVELTY SEATS.

I suggest you "shop around" before buying them however. I managed to find them cheaper in a set containing just the 2 rubber conical washers.

The washers originally supplied with the hinges are made from a slippery plastic material and are likely to cause the above fault. I've fitted the rubber conical washers from tfm-services and so far they seem to have solved the problem - I would also recommend cleaning and drying the underside of the seat hing mounting holes so that the rubber gets a good grip on the porcelain. The only reason I didn't give these hinges 5 stars is that they are made from the same soft zinc alloy as the originals which is part of the reason for the problem I have described.

PS. I have had to edit this review with a downgrade to 3 stars, and am still being generous. Since fitting these hinges, the problem I described with the main mounting stud loosening itself off is cured. But the small screws holding the upper half of the hinge to it's base plate are now displaying the same fault.

The problem is that the manufacturers have used countersunk head screws. Under the head of these screws is a lock or star washer which should stop them loosening. However the tapered countersunk head means that the lock washer hasn't got a flat surface to grip on. My solution was to use thread lock:

Loctite 243 Lock 'n' Seal Fast Acting Thread Lock and Sealant 3ml

(£3.19 from LG Tool Supplies at time of writing - very fast service) which has cured the problem.

For anyone reading this and thinking "Why didn't he just fit a new seat?". If I had, I would still have had all the same problems to solve as these hinges seem to be standard on Chinese made seats (ie. virtually all of them).
on 5 March 2013
Quality item perfect fit, at a really competative price, and at this price I've just ordered another set as a spare
on 8 February 2014
A cheap alternative to a full seat replacement, this hinge pack feels substantial and is relatively quick to fix. It includes everything you'll need to repair your old seat and would have been an incredibly quick fix if the screw holes in my toilet seat had lined up with the holes in the hinges, meaning I had to drill new ones.
on 16 September 2013
All the parts you need to mend your loo seat without the expense of buying a new seat. Especially great, if like me you have a loo seat you really like! Very easy to fit too. Quick delivery and service. Well worth the price.
on 30 November 2015
These arrived in a small white unmarked box, but inside was a Rolson instruction leaflet. The instructions were very basic but as expected. It was quite tricky fitting the hinges especially with the supplied screws(which were size 2 Philips head), which I replaced with 7x5/8 BZP pozi screws. The thread on the supplied screws made it difficult to get a tight fit on our wooden toilet seat and their Philips head didn't help. I've got every type of screwdriver, that wasn't the issue.
Once it was adjusted several times, I had to move the hinges to a new position compared to where the old hinges were fixed on the seat. Remembering to make sure the hinge was parallel to the back of the seat and that both of hinges were aligned in the same position relatively, so that they worked together as opposed to against each other.
Also remembering to fit the lid before fixing the hinges to the toilet.
And finally when fixing the hinge replacing one part with the special rubber cone http://www.amazon.co.uk/RUBBER-FITTINGS-PLASTIC-MAHOGANY-NOVELTY/dp/B009YJKB0W/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=048BQ6W82JBN6WQT9W2J
It all seemed to fit nicely, time will tell if it works for any length of time
on 5 April 2014
This hinge set from Really-Useful-Stuff fitted exactly and was just like the picture.
I bought it to replace a hinge that broke after 10 years of daily use, so given the similarity I expect this one to last 10 years too.
Warning - I bought this set to use with the conical rubber hinge fixings from TFM Services, which I recommend, (search for B009YJKB0W ) because he advised metal wing nuts. My set had one faulty wing nut with no thread, but fortunately I had a spare in my bit-box. If you are in a hurry you might like to consider ordering two sets in case of accidents like this.
The metal wing nuts are definitely superior to the usual plastic ones which usually break or work loose.
4 stars because it isn't rolls-royce quality, but then for a fiver what is there to complain about? Have you seen the price that Screwfix charges for hinges like this?

Update:
This product is offered by multiple sellers, beware. I ordered a second set and carelessly placed the order with a different seller. The hinges that came were not the ones in the picture - they had plastic wing nuts. I'm returning those and re-ordering with the original seller.
on 4 July 2014
Good product but one broke after 10 months - ordered another set so I now have a spare - would still recommend these hinges.
on 29 September 2013
They fit perfectly to my toilet seat, used screws from my old seat though, very pleased and would recommend to anyone.
on 19 November 2015
This set was delivered promptly and was exactly what it said it would be. Unfortunately when my husband removed the old hinges from our toilet seat and lid, it somehow enlarged their holes, so this new set couldn't be fitted because the holes were now too big for the screws. In the end we had to throw the whole lot away and buy a different design of toilet seat. Like many other reviewers, our problem was that the threads on the bits where the vertical rods fit had stripped within a few weeks of being fitted, and while this kit would be a useful stop-gap in an emergency (if your old seat and lid fell to pieces at the most inconvenient moment, e.g. when you had guests staying), I can't see that it would be any better than the original fixtures which stripped, in terms of lasting, the design (with the rods only having a very short space to screw into) is not very convenient in the first place.
on 6 May 2014
although it shows in the picture that they come with the fittings they dont but i have the fittings off the old units but for a fiver including delivery i would say as cheap as chips what more could you want for the price