1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping fourth installement - series just gets better and better, 5 Feb 2013
Jeannie Zelos "jeanie zelos book reviews" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Under the Gun (Underworld Detection Agency) (Kindle Edition)
Under the Gun Hannah Jayne.

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

I haven't read the earlier books in the series and wondered how difficult it would be to pick up the story. Fears unfounded, Hannah explains enough to make the story and characters clear but not so much that a loyal reader who's followed the series will get put off. Sophie works at an organisation called the Underground Detection Agency, who are tasked with sorting and cleaning up crimes by supernatural creatures and keeping them out of the public eye. There's a nice tangled romantic conflict between Sophie who is half human half demon, Alex - a luscious fallen angel ex boyfriend who she still hankers after and Will, her Guardian - good-looking, charming English guy. He's actually guarding the vessel of Souls contained with Sophie and as she has a penchant for seeking out trouble that is dangerous and hasn't any helpful superpowers to defend herself she needs someone like that. He's not much in evidence in this book though being recalled to England which gives lovely Alex a home run...if he's interested and if Sophie still wants him. They tiptoe round a bit to begin, and get very defensive of each other, its very will they - won't they? Its all part of the magic of this book. Between trying to save lives, sort crimes, keep out of danger ( that's a joke!!) and hiding her ex boss who's life is in danger does she even have time for romance?

I just love Sophie - its great to have a heroine we can relate to, one who doesn't have miraculous powers to get out of trouble, who's chaotic and falls headlong into perilous conditions as she doesn't think problems through, who's sometimes dangerously loyal to her friends, in short someone just like one of us. Will; well I don't know much about him but he seems an attractive, good guy, not sure how he and Sophie ended up together although it seems to have been a one off, Alex - oh I'm team Alex all the way :) but then is he right for Sophie will the whole fallen angel drama and redemption going on? Then there's Sophie's flatmates, a couple of snarky vampires. I just love Nina's TV shopping addiction...and a host of other characters that all play their part in the story. Its quite roller coaster with what seem to be different problems for Sophie becoming intertwined in the main plot. I didn't guess who was the bad guy, couldn't tell if Sampson was good or bad, wasn't sure about a couple of other characters that kept me guessing which side they were on. I loved the whole story and the way it played out that kept me guessing, laughed at poor Sophie's mishaps, shared her embarrassment when she said or did things wrong ( yep - I'm just like her, if it can come out wrong and embarrass me it does)

I would love to read the earlier novels as the quality of writing is excellent and I'd get more I think from this story if I understood the background clearer but never the less it can be read as a standalone although its clear its a series and I'm keen to read more of Sophie's adventures and romance. I love books with a supernatural slant and a bit of troubled romance thrown in, and to have a heroine I can relate to rather than one who has the power to just Zap out of danger, who has to think as we would in same situation is a real treat. Its so much easier to empathise when we know we'd face the same scenario were we in that position. And of course she's a great sense of humour and makes me laugh whether intended or not ( getting out of trouble by missing the shot but hitting that bad guy in the rear - getting stabbed by a pair of scissors and worrying about the germs as the guys house was a tip...that's the way my mind would work too )

Well, Stars: the book is excellent value for money as it will join my re read collection, 321 pages for 3.91 so a nice decent length read. Well edited, with plots that flow and join each other and no gaping holes, kept me entertained and guessing right to the end, accurate spelling and grammar etc. Has to be five stars!