Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

4.5 out of 5 stars1,786

on 25 February 2015
I chose a Fitbit One as it claimed to count flights of stairs, even though I was very dubious about the claim.
I am happy to report that it does exactly that, and is very accurate, too. I keep it loose in a trouser or shirt pocket normally, or tucked inside my bra if I've got no pockets, and have actually counted the number of steps I've taken and compared it to what has been recorded by the Fitbit and found it to be 100% accurate. This is also the case for every time I go upstairs at home. The sleep monitor is pretty good, too, although the supplied wristband is rather poor.

Tips for users:
● Wear it as close to your body as possible (not on your wrist) to get the most accurate step count. If you walk normally, the count should be accurate, but if you tiptoe around the steps aren't registered (you don't have to stomp about for them to register, but sneaking around means you don't move enough to "wobble" the Fitbit)
● You'll get the most out of it if you wear it 24/7
● It will count "flights of stairs" only if you go up a whole flight without stopping (e.g. if I go upstairs, but stop halfway up for a minute, it doesn't get counted). If you go out and walk up a hill, the same thing applies — while you're walking, it will count how many "flights of stairs" equivalent you've climbed, but if you stop for breath every 3-4 steps, you'll get to the top of the hill and wonder why it didn't count as any "flight of stairs". It took me a while to realise this, but it's a good incentive to keep moving, and seems surprisingly accurate if you do.
● If you're going to wear it as a sleep monitor, buy a zipped sports wristband to put it in (<£1 each), and wear it on your left wrist (if you're right-handed). You won't be able to see the display whilst it's zipped up (but you'll be asleep!) like you can with the supplied wristband, but it will be secure, comfortable, and it works. The Velcro on the original wristband is not good — it soon starts coming undone in the night of its own accord and falls off, so you wake to find it's monitored nothing.
● The supplied clip is useful at times, but I vastly prefer just putting it in a zipped/secure pocket. Wearing the clip on the outside of your clothing might mean it could be accidentally caught and lost. It can easily and safely be clipped to the inside of both normal and sports bras for ladies.
● Try charging it up about once a week when you know you'll be sitting down for an hour or so — that way you're not missing any activity!
● If you're using it as part of a healthy eating / diet regime, the Fitbit Dashboard (the monitoring website) works well with MyFitnessPal food diary website as the two "talk" to each other, so using the Fitbit and its website to monitor your activity and MyFitnessPal to keep track of your food gives very good results.
● Even if you don't get chance to get out and about for the more conventional exercise routines, you can use the Fitbit One to achieve your step and stair targets around the house (assuming you have an "upstairs"!), so not being able to leave the house does not matter.
● You do need internet access to be able to use this effectively.
● All counters on the Fitbit are automatically zeroed at midnight each day, so if you happen to be in the middle of a walk at midnight, the steps for the first part will count as part of your daily total for that day, and the steps for the post-midnight part will count towards the following day totals. (I've watched it zero itself on several occasions - very annoying when I've got to 22 steps short of my daily target to see it re-set!). It is not possible to manually zero the counters.
● You can manually add activities (e.g. cycling/gardening/swimming) via the website which will adjust your calories burned count, and you can add/edit sleep periods, but you cannot manually edit steps or stair counts.
0Comment|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2015
I already own a basic Garmin watch which I use when running. However, I wanted something to track other activity, but not something that counted my arm movements as steps (which I gather some of the wrist bands do). Having read lots of online reviews, I eventually plumped for the FitBit One and am really pleased with it. It’s much smaller than I thought it would be and clips very comfortably, unobtrusively and securely on to my bra.
It was easy to set up and would have been even easier if I had followed the online instructions more carefully. I initially missed out one part of the operation and so had to uninstall and start over again, but even that wasn’t difficult to do. I downloaded the App to my iPhone 5S and then went on to MyFitnessPal and synced the device with my account so now all my activity is reflected and accounted for there too. I have been using the device for a week and have still not had to charge the battery (the battery life is shown in the phone App along with all the other readings, so I will have advance warning before it runs out completely). I am really pleased with the device, which I have found to be accurate and which has ticked all the boxes for me. Based on my experience I would highly recommend it. By the by, the burgundy colour is fab.
on 8 February 2016
I decided I wanted an activity tracker as part of an attempt to get a bit fitter in 2016 (such a cliché!). I opted for Fitbit as they seemed the most popular and widely integrated with a good range of devices. I specifically chose the One as a compromise between size (the Charge would look huge on my tiny wrist), functionality (Flex didn't quite cut it) and budget. I like that I don't have to wear it on my wrist - it's usually clipped to my waistband or bra - but I can with a separately purchased wristband if I so choose, and of course it's comes with a relatively comfortable sleep wristband. Not sure how well that will wash though.

In terms of functionality the One does what I want it to do. It counts my steps, counts stairs, tracks sleep (albeit manually), tracks calories burned and tells me the time. I like the little progress flower on it too - it's surprisingly motivating. In fact just having the thing keeps me a bit more honest and now encourages me to take the stairs at work rather than the lift. Battery life is pretty good too - mine has never come close to dying despite leaving it 4-5 days between charges. I don't mind that it doesn't interact with my iPhone beyond syncing with the app.

Speaking of the app, it's very comprehensive but it's easy to become a slave to it. I started off tracking everything I ate or drank but with an eating disorder history this wasn't something I wanted to start obsessing over so I removed those tiles from the app. It's good that you can do that.

Overall I like my Fitbit One and will continue to use it on a daily basis. The only way it could be improved is to add automatic sleep functionality as sometimes I do forget to set it away before I fall asleep, but to be fair it's not advertised as having this. I am contemplating upgrading to the Alta when it comes out in April for that reason, but it's not like I am desperate for that functionality. More like if I happen to have the money I might. If you're looking to try out a Fitbit then this one is a great entry choice as it has more functionality than the Flex, costs less than the Charge and boasts more options for how you wear it.
on 11 June 2013
Let me start by saying how much I love my Fitbit. I had the Ultra before this and decided to upgrade recently to take advantage of a couple of extra features I thought I'd find very useful.

I have found Fitbits to be a great tool to add motivation to my activity. I guess I must be a stats-driven person because I love seeing my Fitbit dashboard all lit up green because I hit my goals for the day. Even better is when I've exceeded them. It came to Italy with my last year and it was great to get home and see how many steps/stairs I'd racked up by hiking and climbing. Really helped me be aware of staying active even when on a break.

Pros:
1. It syncs via Bluetooth with my iPhone; this means I can step stats all through the day at work and so am encouraged to do more walking about (I have a desk job so need the encouragement). It also means I can take it on holiday and still get updates without needing my laptop (wish I'd had it for Italy).
2. The synching dongle on my laptop is tiny. The old one (for the Ultra) used to get in the way no end but this one is barely noticeable.
3. It just works, right out the box with very little setup.

Cons
1. I can see how the silicone pouch will eventually give up. It seems pretty flimsy so I wear my Fitbit backwards inside my bra. This then means that sometimes the dongle struggles to find a signal (who knew that my chest could block Bluetooth signals?). However, it never seems to stop the iPhone sync.
2. The low battery warning comes just a little bit too late to do anything about it. I got one yesterday morning at work so made a mental note to charge it when I got home. However, the battery went dead at about 2pm so I lost 4 hours in which no data was recorded. Not terrible but still a bit frustrating when you check in to see how you got on.

I'll just add a final word of how great I've found the company to be. Last year I lost the sleep band for my old Fitbit whilst camping. I wrote to Fitbit and asked if I could purchase a new one. They said they didn't sell them separately but were happy to send me one for free - which they did!
0Comment|190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2016
I rate my Fitbit One very highly. The Fitbit One was recommended to me by some friends in the USA. I wear it all the time, clipped to my bra out of sight. I didn't want a tracker that was visible on my wrist. I think it is pretty accurate, and it motivates me to move and get more exercise. It is far more accurate than any pedometer I have had before. And it is very consistent in its tracking. The clip works very well and is very secure.
It was easy to set up and it syncs well with my phone and my laptop. The dongle for the laptop is really small and I keep it plugged into my laptop all the time. So sometimes it syncs automatically without me doing anything. Although since the last software upgrade, when I have to sync it, I sometimes have to sync it twice on my laptop as it can't find it the first time. But that glitch will disappear on the next upgrade. The battery life is excellent, I usually charge it up every 10 days, and it takes less than 2 hours to charge. I get a message to charge my Fitbit in plenty of time to recharge it without it ever losing all its power. I do have a spare charger and dongle.
I find the Fitbit dashboard easy to use and understand, and you can hide the things your'e not interested in.
I use it to track my sleep, and I find it accurately tracks when I awake in the night, and also shows when I am having more restless sleep, although this is not often!
My Fitbit dashboard also talks to my Weightwatchers account and credits me with Fitpoints without me having to calculate anything. I only have to add manually activities like swimming when I don't wear my Fitbit.
Since getting my Fitbit One in July 2015 I have lost 19 lbs in weight and my BMI is less than 25. I think it is an excellent product for the price.
The only downside I recognise is that this Fitbit doesn't include a heart rate monitor, so it decides how hard I am working out using its own algorithm. Being over 60, I sometimes feel I am exercising really hard, but the algorithm just says moderate. I feel that a device with a heart rate monitor would show I was working out intensely. The algorithm appears to be designed for younger and fitter people than me! I might consider a tracker with a heart rate monitor next time I need one, but for the foreseeable future I am sticking to my Fitbit One. It has really worked for me.
I do recommend it as an excellent tracker, but if you get one, I suggest you wear it constantly for a few weeks and really get to know how it works.
on 19 June 2013
I was looking at getting the Nike Fuelband for a long while as I really wanted a gadget to help me track and monitor my daily activity. I received the Fitbit One as a Christmas present in 2012 and I've only just got round to using it for the first time in the past week.

It's really easy to use and dashboard allows me to set goals by which I can track the steps I've taken, calories consumed, calories burned, restful vs restless sleep and activity level.

It looks like I've lost 3lbs already since using it as I'm more aware of my activity levels and it encourages me to do more to achieve my daily goals.

I haven't really got involved with the community just yet and will look into that in the near future.

My only recommendation for improvement is to include a UK food database which will help to make the entries for food consumed more accurate. Right now I'm guessing my calorie and quantity values against an American food database which is fine for now.

As a first pedometer, I think this is a great gadget which also has a silent alarm to help you wake more naturally. Makes for a great gift too.

As I get fitter I may need something more rigorous so I hope Fitbit will be able to deliver.
The FitBit One is the latest in a range of what are described as pedometers but the FitBit One is so much more. It tracks you going up stairs and also your sleep patterns, the website will track food intake and so much more!

Upon opening the box you will find the tiny Fitbit One with its smooth plastic front and dark titanium style metal back this thing is seriously small and light, you almost don't feel it in your hand. Thankfully there is a silicone rubber and metal clip which means you shouldn't loose it, there is also a wristband for use when your sleeping as this thing tracks your sleep.

You goto the website and signup, this also downloads the latest version of the software and you just follow what it asks you to do and before you know it your done and ready to go. Charge the unit for an hour and get to work! LOL

Like most other pedometers this tracks your steps and stores them, unlike other pedometers it will track altitude so it tracks the extra energy you use going up steps and hills (converted to stair floors), it also tracks your sleep patterns, pop the device in the supplied wristband at night and press a button (long press) to tell it your going to get to sleep, wake up in the morning and press that button again to tell it your awake and it marks that as sleep and will tell you how you slept based upon your movement in the night.

All this data gets synced to the website where it is displayed and stored. I can't describe the website it has SO MANY options and SO MUCH information its crazy and its free unlike many other similar services.

Can't get to your PC? You can get an app for iPhone and Android to view your progress, enter foods you have eaten (though I advise the use of MyFitnessPal as it does barcode scanning, personal recipe storeage and more and links with FitBit), even record your mood and more.

If you have a more modern smartphone (iPhone 4S and 5 at present) you can also sync to those directly when out and about, more phones will be compatible soon but they do need Bluetooth 4 which not many have at present, but the FitBit One is at the cutting edge of this tech so most new phone models released will likely be compatible (ie. your next phone will probably work)

This is an excellent motivation, once you see your stats and even how often your sedentary it will make you want to do more. I am definite proof of this :-)

Worth the money, if your looking to loose weight this tells you calories in, calories burnt and really you can't hide how your putting on or loosing weight if you use this, its all there in detail which means you can change things, just make sure you put out more than you take in, even for a fatty like me its actually easier than any diet you've ever been on. Trust me!

PROS:
* Small and Lightweight
* Tracks the extra work it entails to go up stairs and up hills (converted to stair floors)
* Tracks Sleep patterns
* Only needs charged every 5-7 days
* Excellent Website
* Links to modern models of smartphones (Bluetooth 4 needed)
* Plays well with others, links to MyFitnessPal, Endomondo and so much more

CONS:
* Some people could be prone to loosing such a small device, I used a lanyard which I put into a keyring, the keyring then goes into FitBit One clip, I loop the lanyard around my belt loop pulling the fitbit through the middle, this means its locked to my jeans and can't escape and I can still pull it out and read it, pop it on charge when at the computer, etc.
* I would recommend once you install the software, update the Fitbit One via the software as mine did not pick up that first update automatically right away, it may do that after a sync or two but you want to start with the latest software, so best double check it with a manual update.
* No backward compatibility even with a button push to Bluetooth 2/3.

Is this better than the Fitbit Ultra? In a word, Yes, its smaller, lighter has a better armband, has a better brighter clearer display, has a better clip, is more resilient to damage and is splash proof and waterproof to 1m, will let you sync to mobile, firmware upgrades via computer or via mobile. So to repeat, yes, its worth the upgrade.
88 comments|307 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2015
I've had my fitbit for a year. I have worn it everyday, I even took it on holiday with me.
I would highly recommend this gadget. It was a great motivator for getting off a train stop earlier etc. and made me realise how much I was sitting down. It has it's limitations (it is just a fancy pedometer after all) but it doesn't get in the way.

Pros
It only needed charged about once a week and this made sure it didn't run out in the middle of tracking.
It was really accurate when walking.
It was a great sleep tracker and it's fairly comfortable to wear when sleeping
It comes with a handy holder which I used clipped to the centre of my bra. Comfortable and tbh I forgot it was there most of the time.
Android app worked well and synced the majority of the time. There is an online dashboard that you can use to personalise your target steps etc. Easy to use and informative

Cons
It was always out when running. (luckily I had other gadgets for running)
About month 9-10 part of the plastic of the holder came off and it was left with a bit of metal poking out. This was fine when on my bra but when i moved it to my trouser (for running) it could dig in occasionally.
( i should say it broke due to being moved on and off my bra/trousers frequently and it costs £13+ to replace which I didn't want to spend)
on 3 February 2016
My husband bought one for himself and one for me - mine is the burgundy, his is black. The first day was reasonable - I was amazed at how the steps racked up by just doing chores and pottering around. I increased the total the following day. Yesterday I was awarded a badge for 10 floors. Hmm, not sure about that, but I had been going up and down the stairs a few times plus I had been decorating so stepping up and down on a little ladder. By the afternoon and a car trip I was awarded a lighthouse badge for 50 floors! Ridiculous. Not to mention the miles I had apparently walked. I decided it was a very bumpy road. Today I was in the car visiting a relation and again the steps had increased by the time I'd got to my destination. On the way home I put the Fitbit on my bag on the passenger seat. It still clocked up the steps. I have since checked and I seem to have done 17 floors today - this is way too sensitive for accuracy. I do Endomondo on my mobile and that is much more accurate although cumbersome to carry around with me all day. Will be discussing with husband about returning this useless item.
on 11 January 2013
I have slightly mixed feeling with this. Its good, but there's bits which dont really make the mark. For the price mark I had hoped for a little more. This isn't inexpensive, so before you buy one, I strongly advise you think about it.

The fitbit system (tracker and website) is really motivational, it does make you want to walk more, take the stairs rather than an elevator, and it does make you want to be more active.

The accuracy of steps and floors is really good, and the management (via the web/app) of progress/goals and food, calories is good - I also like the emails telling me I met a goal (although they are often at the end fo the day rather than immediately after the event - all depends on how you sync the data).

The Iphone app is in some way better than some parts of the fitbit site, there is no dedicated ipad app. If your lucky enough to have an iphone 4S or higher you can wirelessly sync (it also works on the ipad3 but you have to install the iphone app which feels a bit odd). The desktop application uses a USB receiver which synchronises via a desktop application which runs in the background, when in range it does appear to upload to the web service, although your PC does need to be logged in and running for it to do this.

The iphone app/desktop app appear fine, and as I expected, an ipad app given the sync would be good (although the iphone app does work).

The disappointment for me is the sleep monitor - its sold as one, but doesn't give any data I can really engage with.

You pop the unit out of its clip and into an arm band, the arm band is nice, comfortable, I haven't noticed it during the week I wore it. It records movements. The system however assumes that any movement represents no sleep and despite toggling modes between standard and sensitive, I am not fully convinced the information represents reality, if so I'm getting less than 50% sleep a night.

Its a metric and I'd rather have something on my wrist rather than on my head, there's no real advice for how I can improve my sleep, and the graphs are quite small to interpret.

Would be good if the unit charged via a USB port rather than their proprietry adaptor - you have to take the unit out of the clip to charge, and somehow I just know i'm going to mis-place the charging cable. But the charge appears to easily last a week with almost continual use.

My main disappointment is the fact that in order to get the raw data collected, I have to subscribe to an annual premium account. The premium accounts also offer aggregated results and more information. Although I can order a free report (which I imagine isn't always available), i'm prompted quite often to upgrade.

I find the activity tracker really motivational and I enjoy using it, a few improvements would be nice. I get that fitbit want to promote a premium service for further revenue, but given the cost of the unit, I expected slightly more out of the box, hence 4*'s rather than 5.
review image