5.0 out of 5 stars Fitbit and Me
Let me start by saying how much I love my Fitbit. I had the Ultra before this and decided to upgrade recently to take advantage of a couple of extra features I thought I'd find very useful.

Published 14 months ago by The Lady J

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultra to Fitbit One and now the Flex????
I have worn my fitbit Ultra almost continuously since it arrived last January and recently upgraded to the One. It continues to be the most motivating device I have ever found to keep me moving more, walking further and more regularly and even losing weight. But is it worth another 80 to upgrade from a working Ultra to the One?
Pros:
It is MUCH clearer and...
Published 21 months ago by Lady Macbeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitbit and Me, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker (Sports)

I have found Fitbits to be a great tool to add motivation to my activity. I guess I must be a stats-driven person because I love seeing my Fitbit dashboard all lit up green because I hit my goals for the day. Even better is when I've exceeded them. It came to Italy with my last year and it was great to get home and see how many steps/stairs I'd racked up by hiking and climbing. Really helped me be aware of staying active even when on a break.

Pros:
1. It syncs via Bluetooth with my iPhone; this means I can step stats all through the day at work and so am encouraged to do more walking about (I have a desk job so need the encouragement). It also means I can take it on holiday and still get updates without needing my laptop (wish I'd had it for Italy).
2. The synching dongle on my laptop is tiny. The old one (for the Ultra) used to get in the way no end but this one is barely noticeable.
3. It just works, right out the box with very little setup.

Cons
1. I can see how the silicone pouch will eventually give up. It seems pretty flimsy so I wear my Fitbit backwards inside my bra. This then means that sometimes the dongle struggles to find a signal (who knew that my chest could block Bluetooth signals?). However, it never seems to stop the iPhone sync.
2. The low battery warning comes just a little bit too late to do anything about it. I got one yesterday morning at work so made a mental note to charge it when I got home. However, the battery went dead at about 2pm so I lost 4 hours in which no data was recorded. Not terrible but still a bit frustrating when you check in to see how you got on.

I'll just add a final word of how great I've found the company to be. Last year I lost the sleep band for my old Fitbit whilst camping. I wrote to Fitbit and asked if I could purchase a new one. They said they didn't sell them separately but were happy to send me one for free - which they did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent motivator and tracker of calories in and out, 3 Nov 2012
SteveINtheUKok "SteveINtheUKok" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker (Sports)
The FitBit One is the latest in a range of what are described as pedometers but the FitBit One is so much more. It tracks you going up stairs and also your sleep patterns, the website will track food intake and so much more!

Upon opening the box you will find the tiny Fitbit One with its smooth plastic front and dark titanium style metal back this thing is seriously small and light, you almost don't feel it in your hand. Thankfully there is a silicone rubber and metal clip which means you shouldn't loose it, there is also a wristband for use when your sleeping as this thing tracks your sleep.

You goto the website and signup, this also downloads the latest version of the software and you just follow what it asks you to do and before you know it your done and ready to go. Charge the unit for an hour and get to work! LOL

Like most other pedometers this tracks your steps and stores them, unlike other pedometers it will track altitude so it tracks the extra energy you use going up steps and hills (converted to stair floors), it also tracks your sleep patterns, pop the device in the supplied wristband at night and press a button (long press) to tell it your going to get to sleep, wake up in the morning and press that button again to tell it your awake and it marks that as sleep and will tell you how you slept based upon your movement in the night.

All this data gets synced to the website where it is displayed and stored. I can't describe the website it has SO MANY options and SO MUCH information its crazy and its free unlike many other similar services.

Can't get to your PC? You can get an app for iPhone and Android to view your progress, enter foods you have eaten (though I advise the use of MyFitnessPal as it does barcode scanning, personal recipe storeage and more and links with FitBit), even record your mood and more.

If you have a more modern smartphone (iPhone 4S and 5 at present) you can also sync to those directly when out and about, more phones will be compatible soon but they do need Bluetooth 4 which not many have at present, but the FitBit One is at the cutting edge of this tech so most new phone models released will likely be compatible (ie. your next phone will probably work)

This is an excellent motivation, once you see your stats and even how often your sedentary it will make you want to do more. I am definite proof of this :-)

Worth the money, if your looking to loose weight this tells you calories in, calories burnt and really you can't hide how your putting on or loosing weight if you use this, its all there in detail which means you can change things, just make sure you put out more than you take in, even for a fatty like me its actually easier than any diet you've ever been on. Trust me!

PROS:
* Small and Lightweight
* Tracks the extra work it entails to go up stairs and up hills (converted to stair floors)
* Tracks Sleep patterns
* Only needs charged every 5-7 days
* Excellent Website
* Links to modern models of smartphones (Bluetooth 4 needed)
* Plays well with others, links to MyFitnessPal, Endomondo and so much more

CONS:
* Some people could be prone to loosing such a small device, I used a lanyard which I put into a keyring, the keyring then goes into FitBit One clip, I loop the lanyard around my belt loop pulling the fitbit through the middle, this means its locked to my jeans and can't escape and I can still pull it out and read it, pop it on charge when at the computer, etc.
* I would recommend once you install the software, update the Fitbit One via the software as mine did not pick up that first update automatically right away, it may do that after a sync or two but you want to start with the latest software, so best double check it with a manual update.
* No backward compatibility even with a button push to Bluetooth 2/3.

Is this better than the Fitbit Ultra? In a word, Yes, its smaller, lighter has a better armband, has a better brighter clearer display, has a better clip, is more resilient to damage and is splash proof and waterproof to 1m, will let you sync to mobile, firmware upgrades via computer or via mobile. So to repeat, yes, its worth the upgrade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultra to Fitbit One and now the Flex????, 17 Nov 2012
Pros:
It is MUCH clearer and easier to read, especially in bright light.
I love the fact that it will bluetooth my progress to my iphone and find it surprisingly motivating to check my steps and stairs whilst away from my computer.
Inspirational messages sent to the phone DO inspire me.
The wrist band in which to wear it at night to track your sleep is a much better design and it is easy to read the fitbit through the mesh window and turn it off and on whilst in the band.
The Alarm works well - and is a brilliant additional feature - probably less likely to wake you up from DEEP sleep but enough to wake you to go for an early run without waking your partner - A feature of which I will avail myself - ONE DAY.
Cons:
It does really have to be worn in its little cradle and, although it has not fallen out yet - it does seem a little insecure to the extent that I am tempted to wear it facing inwards and lose the waterproof effect provided by the cradle.
It has to be plugged into a USB port to charge it for two hours every week - as I used to charge and sync the Ultra whilst in the shower for 15 mins every day, I will have to find two hours in the week when I am likely to be continually sitting at the computer - so far one full charge has just lasted for one week.
It does not link via Bluetooth to any but the latest i-pad. I had overlooked this in the literature.
ANOTHER 80 is a lot of money if your Ultra is still working its motivational magic.
Six Months later...
My fears about the cradle have been realised and I have had to replace it as the rubber split despite the fact that it I was very careful with it because it looked vulnerable.
The wrist band has lost its firmness and the Fitbit has a tendency to fall out of it at night.
I HAVE been able to charge it daily as I did the Ultra for 15 mins as before and have had no problems at all.
The interface on the computer has been upgraded and I really like the new look - it is easy to use and very clear and the sync to i-phone via Bluetooth works extremely well - I use it all the time.
This is still an excellent and motivational device and the few niggles over the peripheral 'hardware' have not prevented it continuing to work its magic.
And now there is a Flex - an improvement, I suspect, in terms of the problems I have had with the wristband and cradle but it DOES NOT COUNT FLOORS - I like this facility in the Ultra. Nevertheless I am saving up another 80 to spend when they include the funky coloured wristbands as alternatives in the original price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kit, stellar customer service, 23 July 2014
S. McLaughlin "Boris" (The Mild West) - See all my reviews
After weighing-up the pros and cons of several other brands and having examined the hardware choices offered by FitBit I opted for this model. The good points are that all the data I wanted is collated and that unlike the FitBit Flex, it can be read directly from the small screen on the FitBit One. The software is great but a major plus point is that it plays nicely with other apps such as MyFitnessPal - the information synchs between them which makes tracking goals (which are easily customisable) a simple and largely automated process. The advantages of using it with MyFitnessPal is that the foods listed include a massive collection of UK items which makes logging meals and snacks very easy. The ability to update logged activity through the USB dongle or direct to many phones and tablets via the app all make for a superb package. If there is a down side it is that the clip needs to be very securely attached (and regularly checked whilst exercising).

The FitBit team of customer service reps are superb and seem prepared to go to considerable lengths to ensure people are happy with their purchases - it's this last factor which has impressed me most about the FitBit One. It's not a miracle device which will suddenly make you shed pounds of weight but it does provide ongoing motivation via targets and an incentive to keep any exercise regime on track.

It's my favourite piece of equipment for getting back into shape (after many years of 'on/off' programmes of fitness improvement). I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my fitbit!, 18 July 2014
kjk153 (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a birthday present on someone's recommendation and I've had it around 6 weeks now and have used it every day without fail. I expected it to be a digital equivalent of the old pedometers I used in the past, however this is so much more. I love the fact that is accurate, and synchs easily with my iPhone and iMac, so that I can easily check how many steps I've done through the day, as well as how many flights of stairs I've climbed and distance walked. I love the fact that I can check my dashboard online - to see trends over time etc as well as recording extra information such as weight/ Blood pressure/ Glucose levels/ mood etc. I also use it to track my sleep, and can see how restless I've been and spot patterns. I feel ridiculously pleased with myself when I earn a "badge" or get a certificate, and I'm excited to compare my results when my weekly report is emailed to me.

I've been truly shocked at how few steps I walk on some days when I am desk bound at work and pleasantly surprised how many steps I walk on my days off.

The main reason I love it is that I find it a real motivator. I find myself making small changes - like parking further away from the entrance, taking a walk round the block, climbing extra flights of stairs to reach my daily target. If I get home in the evening and haven't met my target it's a cue to take the dog for an extra long walk! Even when we were on a city break, the kids were always asking how many steps they had walked, and rather than complaining about sore feet were keen to see if they could break their previous record! A couple of friends have been so impressed with it they've now got them too.

So I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who likes gadgets and is keen to improve their fitness/ activity levels

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive - Not accurate, 6 Jan 2013
D. Olney "Ravensoak" (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
I feel I have to write a review so that anyone thinking of buying this product has the facts.
The positives:
Small compact, long battery life, neat display.
The negatives:
Holster is too flimsy, unit has popped out on several occasions, luckily found it 3 hours after realising it was missing! Armband has already worn and detaches too easily whilst sleeping. Poor iOS app - cant display sleep pattern due to using flash. Steps are registered too easy. I sat at my computer for an hour and it registered 105 steps!

It is not worth the money for what it provides. 35 seems a more realistic price.

I have the scales and these are excellent but the Fitbit One is overpriced. It becomes a bind to think to use it and and makes you nervous that it doesn't detach and get lost.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use but you can't download the minute-by-minute data, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker (Sports)
I bought this mainly for sleep quality tracking, but the step features are quite cool too.

PROS
- sleep tracking is easy, wristband isn't annoying
- website shows you a lot of useful sleep stats and a nice graph showing you when you moved around during sleep
- it is not uncomfortable to wear during the day, you just forget it is there
- if you have windows, syncing is very easy
- it definitely gets me to walk a bit more and go to bed earlier

CONS
- you can't download the minute-by-minute movement data for day or sleep to do your own analysis
- it doesn't sync with Android yet, doesn't sync with ipad 2 or with linux
- I counts driving or being on public transport as steps and you need to manually tell it on the website that you weren't walking

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good but lack of support brings it down - excellent customer service though, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker (Sports)
I have it clipped to my bra and it does a good job of tracking my steps and floors, I don't notice I'm wearing it and haven't forgotten to put it on since buying it a few weeks ago. The battery life is excellent, I get more like 10 days out of it rather than the advertised 5-7 although I don't play with it much during the day - just leave it to do it's thing, it's refreshing to see a device advertised with what I assume is a more typical battery life than the absolute max in perfect conditions (temperature, etc) if you then don't touch it.

Pros:
- Shows me how little I actually move most days (I work from home so some days I don't even leave the house), good for getting an objective view over your movements
- Motivates me to walk instead of catching the bus because I want to up my step count, when I need to get something from upstairs instead of thinking I can't be bothered I think about how I can 'score' another floor. So it offers some motivation for lazy people like me, although I would be lying if I said it was enough to have much of a positive impact on my fitness, but it's still an improvement
- I like the badges and would love to compete with friends, I think this would motivate me to exercise a lot more, I'm rather less interested in competing with strangers but sadly my only friends who are interested in it aren't going to buy one until they support Linux

Cons:
- Doesn't sync with Linux or Android, it says it will with Android 'soon' but it has said that for months and there's no information when that will be happening (although it will only work with new phones as it requires bluetooth 4, but that's fair enough)
- Web interface isn't the best, calorie counting is a bit of a faff so I don't bother, I would like to see a larger database, a barcode scanner and the ability to just 'quick add' calories (rather than spend a few minutes adding each ingredient for whatever it is I've eaten). I also find the information a little bit lacking for data junkies like myself, it's possible there is more data with a premium membership but I haven't tried
- You can't export the data without a premium membership, I feel this should be made more clear in the description as most users would assume you don't have to pay extra for this

My main problem though is the lack of support for Linux or Android, when/if these become supported they'll earn the extra stars.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 15/01/13.

For those concerned that the clip may not be up to the job, or that the fitbit may come out of the holder I have tested this by putting my fitbit in the washing machine still attached to my sports bra and can confirm that after a 45 minute cycle it is still firmly attached.

While I don't recommend testing it yourself the water resistance has performed well beyond it's stated limitations at 40 degrees.

Sadly though there is no option on the website for me to remove the 1400 steps I have fraudulently acquired this evening.

I am impressed that it has survived this unplanned test of durability and added another star to my review, it's nice to know that an expensive device can withstand some accidents (and I doubt I'm the first person to accidentally put it through the washing machine!)

-----------------------------------
Update 03/07/13

Another update - and adding on another star to give full marks in response to some excellent customer service.

I had a problem which was completely and entirely my fault - I lost my fitbit. I contacted customer services in case there was a way it could be recovered (from someone else tried to register it or something, maybe) and they agreed to send me a replacement completely free of charge. I'm pretty astounded to be honest and don't think you can get better than that, I guess it helps that the devices are registered to accounts so it's easy to see if someone is lying but nonetheless that's service to rival (and exceed) John Lewis and fully deserving of full marks.

Shame the android support is still lacking (unless you have a Samsung). And updating on the battery life while I'm here - before losing the first one the battery life remained as good as when I got it after over 6 months of use (still 10+ days between charges).

4.0 out of 5 stars My first pedometer, 29 Nov 2012
N. Williams (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker (Sports)
I've had my FitBit One a couple of days after seeing the older version tested on a popular UK TV gadget show. I have to say I'm impressed by how good this tiny device is. It's been measuring my activity extremely accurately, steps taken, flights of stairs climbed etc. I'm a fairly regular gym user, so up until now I've only really been using the figures on exercise bikes/cross trainers etc to get an idea of the distance and calories burned. Having this device, I'm now able to see just how much walking I do on a daily basis, going to the train station, walking the underground stations or just going to the shops.

The Dashboard on the website and mobile apps give you daily targets, 5,000/10,1000 steps, stairs climbed etc, and I find this is a motivator to get out and walk more, take the stairs rather than the lift etc. So I would definitely recommend this to people who perhaps need that extra push to get out and exercise. Although it comes with a belt clip, mine tucks into my jeans pocket and it's been working fine there.

Now for some negative points. If you have an Android phone, it's not going to work (yet). It needs Bluetooth 4.0, and although my Galaxy Nexus has this, it's not supported. However the Bluetooth dongle supplied works very well, it syncs my FitBit as soon as I enter the room. When it is sync'd, the mobile app can read your account details and show you the activity graphs, targets etc, so it's not all bad.

I did try logging food, but as with many US products, this is very US centric. So you're not going to find many UK foodstuffs in their database. You can enter details manually, although when I tried this with my breakfast cereal, it asks for grams of fat per portion, and that's not on the Info box.

** Update ** I've since found that you can link your FitBit account to 3rd party apps like My Fitness Pal. This excellent app lets you log your food intake with UK foodstuffs, there's even a barcode scanner to quickly get the item you want to add.

Despite the minor niggles, I would recommend the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars fitbit one, 11 Jun 2013
The FitBit one is a wonderful little tracker, works great and connects flawlessly. I completely recommend using it.
I would have given 5 stars, but since the FitBit food tracker doesn't have a UK database. I have to use another app or input the calories and nutrition facts for every item manually. A little hassle.

So please FitBit sort out a UK database.