Published 13 months ago by Auntie Joy

3.0 out of 5 stars Shorts
It is good that short story writers are being given somewhere to publish but I was not overly impressed by any in this collection.
Published 11 months ago by E. M. Cashdan

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed the book but its a pity I had to search to find out who had won.., 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: The BBC International Short Story Award 2012 (The BBC Short Story Award) (Kindle Edition)
I would certainly purchase the 2013 edition of this book as I enjoyed that each story was very different from the last - I have read most of Lucy Caldwell's work and so wanted to read her entry in this competion- that was what prompted me to buy this. I had read that others had been disappointed to discover that we were not told who had won the competition and when I was reading the stories I did find it frustrating that the compilation didn't include this information although I suppose it is easy enough to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Books, 5 April 2013
This is a great selection I would recommend it to a wide audience as it covers a wide range of interests.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 13 Jan 2013
H. Newcomb (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
arrived very quickly, contains a lot of my favourite stories that were originally on BBC radio 4. my particular choice would be the "iHole" tale which is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrong again., 20 Feb 2013
The iHole. Inspired. Should have won. East Of The West which took the prize was a so-what meandering naval-gazing tale about a wimp who never did anything until it was too late so that he could wallow in the fallout. The judges got it wrong last year too. Let the readers vote I say, instead of a literary junta.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great variety, 21 Oct 2013
I enjoyed reading short stories for a change, and discovered that it is really a quite different approach to story telling which caught my interest. I was surprised at how many twists there can be in a few pages!

3.0 out of 5 stars Shorts, 23 Aug 2013
E. M. Cashdan "Liz Cashdan" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars some memorable stories, 8 Nov 2012
I found the international dimension particularly interesting. One of the stories - ihole - is one of the best short stories I have read, and makes sense of the form as a riff on an idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 July 2014
Some of these are brilliant and the others are very good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine stories but needed an Introduction., 28 Jan 2013
This is a fine, eclectic collection of stories which give a feel for cultures beyond our own which no travel programme could match. My main criticism would be (apart from the usual string of typos) is that the collection needed an Introduction. Having not heard the original stories on the radio, it would have been useful to know who actually won the competition - was it the first story in the book - and what criteria the judges used to make their award. Some of the stories did not sit well with the others such as the science fiction story 'The ihole' which was trite compared to the stories which explored the human condition so why was it included? OVerall though, thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBQ short story award, 23 Nov 2012
Peter Kettle (Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A brilliant short story collection in this years competition. The standard is extremely high and it is hard to find fault with the judges.