Style Name: 3D Smart|Change

on 5 November 2012
Am very impressed at the value offered by this machine. The media player is very good, playing mkv files of any size and definition up to HD with no problem, the auto shutdown, optional, ensures the usb connected drive is switched off after a preset time. The scrolling titles ensure full info is available for music tracks, not truncated like most media players.
There is a good menu choice with many options available and this is the first media player I have used which gives chapter information and allows 'jumping forward' using chapters or the menu timer with mkv files. The remote also offers basic TV functions for an LG TV.
Most decent media players cost more than this combined blu-ray, dvd and media player, at around £50 it is excellent value for money.
3939 comments|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 January 2014
First let me make it clear that I'm watching Blu-ray disks from this player via an HDMI-to-Composite converter Brand New HDMI/DVI 1080P to AV/CVBS Composite Mini Converter Support PAL/NTSC as my TV doesn't support HDMI because it's several years old.

That said, the quality of Blu-ray disks is obviously better than standard DVDs even on my set up, although standard DVDs are also rendered really well (and Which? said as much too). In fact, the quality even through the HDMI converter is better than the SCART cable quality from my Freeview player.

So, let's get onto my experiences with this player.

What's to like?
---------------
Small. Tiny, even. Easily fits into the same space vacated by my old DVD player. Very slim (height-wise too), even better than the outgoing, slim, compact DVD player.

Quiet. Except for when it's loading disks or skipping chapters/scenes when you can hear the zip-zip noise as the head is moved to the new position. Absolutely not a problem and in normal use I couldn't hear it working not even in the quiet places of the film.

Fast-ish loading of disks. I never viewed this as a problem but I notice several manufacturers highlight the fact that their greatest offerings loads Blu-ray disks before you can get back to the couch. Well, I tried to time this one and it took about 10 seconds from me closing the tray to being able to see something on-screen (ie the 'Don't copy this DVD' warning). Perfectly acceptable.

Plays 3D DVDs, allegedly. I have no doubt it does, but given that there are several other components in the chain that you need before this is going to work (like a 3D TV with an HDMI input!) I guess I'll never have the chance to find out. Good to know though!

Upscales standard DVDs to as good as they are going to get, picking out all the available detail. A standard DVD is noticeably lower in detail than a Blu-ray but still pretty good with this device.

What could be better?
---------------------
Haven't got a method sorted out where it remembers where you are in a movie the last time you played it. There are other reviews here that have that information (pressing Pause twice is suggested) so I will persevere. For me, this is not an issue as I tend to watch the entire movie in one go, just pausing it whilst I get a refreshment top-up.

No wi-fi. It needs an internet cable to your router if you want to use the 'Smart' aspects of this device. Given the less-than-enthusiastic comments I've read about this 'feature' I'll give that a miss. I don't want to watch YouTube or whatever in bed, just the Blu-ray disk is fine for me. Your needs may be different, however.

Conclusion
----------
I wanted a simple, inexpensive, no-frills Blu-ray and DVD player and that is exactly what I have now got. I didn't want an all-singing, home-cinema type device as this one is used exclusively in the bedroom for a quick movie before bed. I did want a unit that played not only Blu-ray disks but also my standard DVDs, upscaled to as good as could be and this definitely seems to be the case, even on my strange set up.

Good value, works well. No frills. Recommended.

---

[If you found this review helpful please up-vote; if you didn't, don't down-vote - leave me a comment to help me improve this and my other reviews]
11 comment|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This review is for the LG 3D Smart BP325 Player. . .

I bought this Blu-ray player after having a good look around and found it no cheaper than on here. It is matched up with a LG 3D Smart TV.

This player does not have WiFi.

In the box you will find -

- The Blu-ray player
- Quick start guide
- Remote control and 3 AAA batteries

You 'will' need to buy a HDMI cable as they never come with the device! Squeezing yet more of your hard earned money out of you!

This is a Smart 3D Blu-ray player which means it 'can' play 3D Blu-ray discs giving stunning visuals and of course normal Blu-ray discs plus this upgrades your bog standard DVDs to 'near' HD quality!

Being Smart, you can also experience LG Smart TV functions (when linked to a LG TV) such as stream movies from the internet, share photos with friends and family and use the LG apps that are available. It does need to be connected to your router's ethernet port though.

The build quality doesn't feel brilliant to be honest as It's very light in weight at only 1.65kg but it is well made despite this. It's also very slim so takes up little space.

On the front you have the disc tray and two buttons which are on/off and eject. There is also a USB port here.

On the back you will find find

- DC in (power port)
- LAN port
- HDMI out to TV
- Coaxial out

I've uploaded a pics of the front/back and remote.

In use -

It's dead easy to set up. It's basically a plug and play item. Just hook up with a HDMI, locate the channel on your telly and you're good to go!

If you have a 3D TV then you can enjoy the 3D features, of course if your TV is not a 3D one, these features will not work! Personally I am not a big 3D fan and would rather watch a movie in 2D!

You don't need a 3D telly to use this player. It will work on a 2D telly.

I have played both 2D and 3D Blu-ray movies on this and they've all been spot on. No problems at all.

The response from putting your disc in and the disc content appearing on screen is fast, so no waiting about whilst things go wizz, clunk and whirr! This player is also pretty quiet and in the silence of watching a movie certainly doesn't interfere with your movie enjoyment.

Blu-ray movie quality is as expected - outstanding! Vibrant colours, crisp, smooth and vivid visuals. Audio is the business too! Get your TV linked up to an external audio source and you will not be disappointed here.

It plays MKV files, DIVX, MP4 and AVI from an external HDD or USB memory stick.

If you have an Android phone/Ipad you can now download a LG TV Remote app. It works too!

I cannot fault this cracking little player and would definitely recommend it.
review image review image review image
55 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
Brilliant piece of equipment plays everything including myportable external hard drive with films on it,excellent picture in blueray and sound.
on 24 February 2015
This would be a wonderful Blu-Ray player but I haven't had it for a year and it's already broke down on me twice. Six months after getting it, it wouldn't eject my DVD. I click the eject button, the screen flashes up "OPEN", you can hear the mechanism working, but the drive doesn't open. A few seconds later the screen says "CLOSE" and the player starts playing the DVD again.

I got in touch with LG, they sent one of their engineers out to pick it up. After a week, I it back. However, the courier that delivered it back to me looked like he'd been called from the guts of a car engine, and the package was coated in oil and grease.

Two months later, the exact same fault has happened, and yet again, I've got a DVD still in the player.

LG wants to offer me another repair with no guarantee that the player won't break in the exact same way again, or that the courier would be another car mechanic fresh from working on an engine.

For the time being, avoid this model.
on 20 January 2014
I love this player!

I bought this to replace our Panasonic Blu Ray player that we purchased for £250 only three years ago but has now stopped working. Given that experience I did not want to spend much money on a replacement so I researched this player and then got it from Amazon, as they were the cheapest.

This player is much smaller than our last player, it also starts up and loads disks a lot faster. It plays all our Blu Rays and DVDs no problem. Another nice touch is that it can play video files directly from a USB drive. So it's great for all those Home Movies etc that are trapped on your computer.

In short I thoroughly recommend this player.
This Blu-ray player was specifically chosen for use with my LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD television with the idea that having the same brand of product would maximise compatibility in use. I'd also seen that this particular model was highly regarded in various reviews and offered a good compromise between price and features. It did not come with an HDMI cable (very few things do unfortunately) but was simple to connect up when I obtained one. The compatibility I'd hoped for seems to be there although I have been a little disappointed to find that they don't work as well together as I had expected. For instance, I had to actually enable to Simplink feature on my TV to make it talk fully to the Blu-ray player rather than it being enabled by default, and even when fully functional I still cannot make the TV revert to normal broadcasts when I finish watching my film and turn of the player.

Those little gripes aside I can confirm that it does work well as a player of Blu-ray, DVD and CD discs and I am generally pleased with it. It does have a suite of `Smart' features installed which work very similarly to those already on my television set and it also has a USB connector placed very conveniently on the front of the machine where I can attach flash drives etc in order to view photographs and videos from my camera or computer. Start up times are reasonable but not as fast as the product description would suggest and the player is very quiet in operation with no annoyingly bright lights on show as a distraction.
on 22 November 2013
I looked at several other blue ray players and chose LG because it had good reviews. It's straight forward to use and the feature I like best is that should you stop a DVD half way through, it picks up at the same point when you return to it. Excellent service from Amazon as always!
on 10 July 2013
Compact, cheap and excellent.

Anything you ever ask for from a blu ray player. I don't regret a bit that I bought this
on 11 November 2013
A great player. Used primarily for my Portable Hard Drive will all my media files. Seems to play every file you throw at it. For the price, you cannot go wrong with this Blue-Ray Player.