4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant sequel
Published on 24 Nov. 2012 by Justhavingfun

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for adults
Published 23 months ago by Jenny Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant sequel, 24 Nov. 2012
Seconds Away is the second in the Mickey Bolitar book and was just as good as the first. The plot picks up where Shelter left off and focuses on a shooting involving their friend Rachel and her family. As usual it is a fast paced read full of witty comments and twists to keep the book interesting. What I liked about this book was that you find out more about the characters and in particular Ema, what was also nice was that the relationship between Mickey and Myron has thawed a little which was nice to read. Although aimed at young adults I still found this to be a really enjoyable thriller read with just less violence than the Myron Bolitar series. For me though it does not get 5 stars just because I felt that there was something missing that is there in the Myron Bolitar series but still a very good, exciting read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for adults, 23 April 2013
I ordered this book without knowing that it was part of the 'young adult' range. After the first chapter, I had the feeling that something was very wrong. I am really not sure that the YA category of writing is anything but a commercial decision. When I was a kid I got my first adult library ticket at the age of 14 and being let loose in the 'grown up' library was one of the most exciting days of my life. I didn't need a staging post, although I suppose a short sojourn in the land of Mickey B. and his friends would have been OK at 11 or 12. The hungry gap in reading was just that - whetting my appetite for real books. Sorry - a few more words about the book? Don't bother to read it yourself, but try it on an early teen. I liked Spoon - the lonely geeky kid and the oh-so-mature Ema. Yeah, I am weakening - HC does know his craft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as ever, 18 Oct. 2012
I discovered my first Harlan Coben book a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. This book has been eagerly awaited and did not disappoint, not that I expected it to, I can only hope Mickey 3 comes out soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars its a kids book ?, 11 Oct. 2013
Dean Calculator (newport, gwent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am a big Harlen Coben fan ,and picked it up saw the name Bolitar on it and bought it .but its obviouslt aimed at a younger age group ,which is fine but i wished it was clearly flagged up .

2.0 out of 5 stars Seconds away, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Seconds Away (Mickey Bolitar Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Harlan coben books (stand alone or Myron series) gave me a good appetite for reading, these books are amazing, funny and always have great twists and turns in them. This one doesn't though, bring back Myron and win!, these latest lot (Mickey bolitar) are a bit like reading about Scooby doo and the mystery machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 21 Nov. 2012
Having read many of his books, this was a real let down. His characters were weak and the storyline not believable. It was more like a storyline from Scooby Doo , with a group of pesky kids solving several serious crimes and murders, very disappointing and with a predictable ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the kids, 21 Mar. 2014
Sally (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I'm a long time Harlan Coben fan, although I lost track of all the newer books when he was writing them faster than I was having chance to read them. I spotted Seconds Away before going on holiday, and thought it would be good for a fast paced read. I didn't realise beforehand that it was a sequel, or that it is a YA novel, but it became obvious fairly quickly, and I knew it wouldn't be a problem because HC always reiterates previous story lines throughout other books anyway.

The book itself is well written as you would expect, but there were a few things that I just didn't get. Firstly the language is not teen enough - it feels like it is being written by a middle aged man who has been told to give a youth novel a go. At one point Mickey is thinking about a situation, and he even says a word, and then quickly follows it up with "I don't even know what that word means". I'm no teen, but I'm pretty sure teens don't talk to each other like this, or would use language like this - 20 minutes on urban dictionary picking out some modern slang would have added a sense of realism to this.

My other negative point is the pace at which relationships seem to have developed. The book keeps pointing out that Mickey has only known these people for a couple of weeks, but in that time they've become completely best friends not to mention been on a previous adventure (book 1 in this series). It all just seems way too quick.

On the plus side, it's good to have Myron in there - don't expect much from him though, as he is definitely a sideline character. I kept wondering when Myron was going to get involved and the pace was going to pick up, but it never did.

Lastly, the Harlan Coben novels of old have a great way of giving you one last shock or two towards the end. They leave you feeling like you want to read more by this author, straight away, without a break. This one just fizzled away.

If you've never read any Harlan Coben novels, then don't start here - pick one of his other Myron Bolitar novels. He is an incredibly talented author, with an amazing knack for writing books that you literally can't put down! If you've read his work before, then you're not missing much by skipping this thread of stories. Maybe the kids will love it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping YA crime thriller from a master writer, 16 Feb. 2013
This is the second in Coben's YA series focused on Mickey Bolitar, nephew of his main adult character, Myron Bolitar. The first in the series was the fabulous Shelter, and this follow-up is just as good. As always, since this is a review for a sequel, there may be spoilers for the first book in the series here - please look away if you haven't read it yet!

The novel's action picks up from where Shelter leaves off, and takes us deeper into the mystery and conspiracies that were beginning to be unpicked in the first novel. At the end of Shelter, Mickey received some startling news, which naturally he investigates in this instalment, along with other new mysteries that crop up. The shadowy figure of The Bat Lady still hovers and the truth about the Abeona Shelter is clearly going to be a long-running plot thread, which the teens do unravel a bit further here. At the centre of the plot is another death: this time Rachel, who helped to save Ashley in Shelter, is shot along with her mother.

A key strength of both books is the characterisation. I challenge you to read this and not be sucked in and rooting for Mickey, Ema and Spoon! Their determination to do the right thing, and their schemes to sneak around and investigate are endearing and brilliantly drawn. Ema remains delightfully intractable and yet both brave and dependable, while Spoon's dorkiness knows no bounds. Mickey's inability to ignore injustice continues to drive the plot and inspire them all to plunge further and further into the murk that surrounds them.

Overall, this is a great read, which completes a new mystery and takes us further in the overarching mystery of the Abeona Shelter. I can't wait to see what Mickey and co will uncover next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable crime thriller for teens, 4 Jan. 2013
Seconds Away picks up straight after the events of Shelter, and you really have to have read the first book in the series for this one to make a great deal of sense. For those of you who read Shelter a year ago and may have forgotten key elements of the story have no fear - Coben cleverly weaves enough reminders into the opening chapters to refresh your mind of the events in that first book, and also the bombshell he dropped at the close of the book that has left fans begging for more ever since.

I know that there have been some readers who were left a little confused at the end of Shelter, as there seemed to be two very different elements to it. For the most part it was a gritty crime thriller, with Mickey Bolitar and his new friends being drawn into a thrilling and deadly mystery rooted firmly in modern crime. However, there also seemed to be something of a supernatural element to the series spanning story arc, an element that seemed more than a little out of place in a straight crime story. Ninety year old ex Nazis who still look young, anybody? In Seconds Away Coben gradually reveals more information behind this element and by the end readers will have a much better understanding of this, and like me they will also be just as hungry for the next instalment.

As with Shelter then there are two stories going on in this sequel. There is the standalone element - Mickey's friend Rachel is injured and her mother killed in a shooting at her house, and Mickey, Ema and Spoon set out to solve the mystery - and then there is the greater mystery: that surrounding Mickey's life, the death of his father, the Bat Lady, the Butcher of Lodz and the Abeona Shelter. Coben uses all of his writing experience and expertise to craft a story that has you racing through the pages, desperate to get to the solution to both mysteries. And there is no point second guessing either - the plot twists and turns like an Alpine giant slalom, and just as you think you have guessed 'whodunnit', somthing else is revealed and you find yourself staring open mouthed as the letters W.R.O.N.G. flash teasingly through your brain.

Crime is a genre that has huge adult appeal, with book stores having ranks of shelves dedicated to authors of these books. However, it is only in the last eighteen months or so that it has crossed over to the YA market, with the likes of Harlan Coben, Colin Mulhern, Niall Leonard and Peter Cocks writing for this younger age group. I know some of the boys at school much prefer these kind of stories that are grounded in a realism that they can relate to, as opposed to fantasy and horror stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, till the end, 3 Jan. 2013
Discovered Harlan Coben when in hospital in 2011 and his books helped me through a rough time, have read all of the stand alones (I think !) but only one of he Myron series, however I did enjoy Shelter and after the jaw-dropping ending to that I just had to read Seconds Away. Admitedly I dont get as much reading time now as I used to so the book took me a little while to get through, but I mostly enjoyed it .. untill the last couple of chapters. I found myself thinking "hang on theres only a few pages left and there's still so much unresolved".

So then one of the main storylines gets tied up quickly enough but another, the Mickeys dad situation .. my main reason for wanting to read the book, is again unresolved. Now I guess I'll have to buy the next one to see what happens (good business from the author!) but I'm not really sure I want to read all through another one incase its unresolved again !

Having said all that I cant wait for the new standalone 'Six Seconds' to come out. Harlan is normally top top class, maybe I was just expecting too much for a book aimed at young adults ? (which I unfortunatly am not!)

Seconds Away (Mickey Bolitar Book 2)