5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Marian Keyes.
Firstly, I have to own up to really liking Marian Keyes books. I think I have enjoyed all of them. If you are of the same mind, I really don't think this book is going to disappoint.

Published 18 months ago by Caroline P.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Keyes at her best (sorry)
Published 15 months ago by nic3101

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Marian Keyes., 11 Oct 2012
Caroline P. (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

We revisit the Walsh family. As families go, they are probably a bit more screwed up and unusual than most but Ms Keyes never strays beyond the believable. This time it's the turn of Helen, the youngest. Helen has suffered a severe bout of depression in the past and is well on her way - terrified - into a new bout. In most cases, that would suggest a book that was heavy and gloomy. Yet, as always, Ms Keyes manages to combine a realistic and sensitive understanding of emotional problems with a book which is often laugh-out-loud funny and always quite gripping. I never felt dragged down by it, even while I could empathise with Helen's dread and fear. In any event, the descent into depression is interwoven into the main story, a missing persons case, in a way that doesn't detract from the mystery/thriller feel to this main story. Nor are her personal relationships neglected. You live Helen's life with her and it is a well-rounded and complete-feeling book and in that sense is very satisfying - no part is left sketchy and incomplete.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Vintage Keyes,But I'm So Glad She's Back!, 22 Oct 2012
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't think I enjoyed this quite as much as some of her other novels,but considering that Marion Keyes has been suffering from such crippling depression that it was feared she may never write again,she has worked wonders.I really liked the idea of a mystery story for a change,and I must say I could not figure out where Wayne was at all.
I didn't feel there was much chemistry between Helen and her boyfriend,Artie,but I really enjoyed catching up with the Walshes,and I LOL'd when the Laddz were trying on their swan outfits!
I really loved Helen's Shovel List,a list she keeps in her head of people and things she hates so much she would like to hit them in the face with a shovel. I liked the way she brought depression into the story,and hope that it will help anyone who is going through depression to realise that they are not alone.
I did enjoy the book,and would recommend it,and I'm so glad that Marion's back!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved every second of it, 22 Sep 2012
Marian Keyes has been one of my favourite authors ever since I can remember so seeing one of her books hit the shelves always fills me with excitement. The Mystery of Mercy Close is the fifth and final Walsh sister book, featuring the youngest Walsh sister, Helen. Although I was sure the book would be another fantastic read, I had absolutely no idea what to expect from Helen. We already met her in her sisters' books when she was still a teenager - she was the pretty and popular one who was known for her sharp tongue, her sarcasm and brutal honesty. She was hilarious in her own way but for some reason I could never relate to her character as much as I could to some of her sisters'. Which was another reason why I've been so eagerly waiting for this book - I was really intrigued to see how her quirky character would work if she had her `own book' and to see how much she's changed throughout the years. As it turns out, she has changed a lot. So much so that a few chapters in she became my favourite Walsh sister and The Mystery of Mercy Close turned out to be my favourite book from the series.

I loved this story for so many different reasons. Helen is a great narrator - she's sarcastic, she doesn't care what people think about her, but she's witty and more importantly, very entertaining. The book itself is quite fast paced - a lot faster than any of the previous four books were - and there's literally not one dull moment. Keyes has never written mysteries or anything like this before but she pulled it off perfectly. She kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish and I literally couldn't tell what was going to happen next. As a huge mystery/crime fan I loved the fact that I kept guessing almost till the end and even though I had at least three different solutions for Wayne's disappearance, none of them were right. (It all starts to make sense towards the last ninety pages or so, and once you figure out what the title - which is another brilliant touch - refers to you've figured out where Wayne is but even then, you just can't predict how it's all going to end.)

On top of these countless twists and turns, another thing that makes The Mystery of Mercy Close so unique is the fact that there are basically two completely different stories within the book. On the one hand, there's the investigation and the whole Laddz business but on the other hand, there's Helen's own story, her battle with depression and everything she's been through in the past. Since Keyes herself has been diagnosed with depression back in 2009 and the book was written in the following years, Helen's take on this issue is frighteningly real. The way she describes how desperate, helpless and afraid she felt, how nothing seemed to help and how she got to the point where she even had a suicide kit is both heartbreaking and beautifully written. Keyes went through the exact same things (including going into psychiatric hospital and even having the suicide kit) and describes them in such detail, with such honesty that I was moved to tears several times throughout the story. But at the same time, the book has quite an optimistic message as well: Helen's story is proof that things do get better eventually. You might not be the same person as you were before but you will get better and this, just like everything else, will pass.

If I had to sum this book up in five words, I'd say it was worth the wait. I know I won't be able to do it justice no matter how much longer I carry on but I really hope you'll pick it up. Don't worry if you haven't read the previous four books, there are no major spoilers and it doesn't really matter what order you read them in. The Mystery of Mercy Close is a marvellous page-turner with a hilariously funny narrator and a fantastic plot which will definitely stay with you for a long time. I loved every second of it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Keyes at her best (sorry), 16 Jan 2013
nic3101 (Bolton, Gtr Manchester) - See all my reviews
Not sure wether it's me that has grown & developed over the years and therefore my needs have changed and I require "more" or wether this really isn't Marian Keyes at her best. It's a bit "jumpy" almost like it forgets what's supposed to be hapening and thinks "sod it I'll go onto this instead". I kept waiting for it to "get started" but just as it looked like it was going to "get going" - it didn't.
All in all - it's okay-ish, I've read worse - I've read better.
Don't get me wrong - no one loves Marian Keyes more than me - but this one just didn't do it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!,, 11 Oct 2012
I listened to this as an audible book while running. What a great motive to get running every morning. I love the Walsh sisters books and think they are best. So funny yet poignant too. Read the Mammy Walsh book before it to remind me about the other family members, hilarious.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 July 2013
Although I managed to stick with it I was disappointed. This is by far my least enjoyable of the Marian Keyes books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it....., 1 July 2013
I am a huge Marian Keyes fan, but it has taken me over three weeks to read this (I read a book a week) and I only got half way through this one before giving up.

If you have read all Marian's past books and haven't read this one - DON'T. It will only upset you.

The story is slow, Helen is not likeable and the plot is hard to believe.

Maybe it is time to say goodbye to the Walsh's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Utterly depressing - not the Marian Keyes we know and love, 26 Dec 2012
As the main character battles with depression, the readers ask themselves whether this is the Marian Keyes that we know - uplifting, humorous and insightful. Unfortunately this book is none of those things although the author succeeds in portraying the torment of a depressed person. I would not recommend as a light-hearted read and there are better books if one is in the mood for more serious literature. I have found the book quite depressing and would not recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNPUTDOWNABLE, 15 Sep 2012
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
First of all before you read this book if you have a kindle or an e reader down load Marian's e-book about
the Walsh family - it is not only so informative about the Walsh girls it is absolutely hilarious and only
1.99. You get to know the rest of the Walsh family too. IT IS A BRILLIANT PREQUEL TO THE MYSTERY OF MERCY
CLOSE.

After a break of five years I was beginning to wonder if we were going to have another book from Ms Keyes,
but she's back and boy was this worth waiting for - absolutely unputdownable I loved it.

This is a funny yet serious book. Starring of course one of the Walsh girls - private detective Helen Walsh.
It manages to encompass everything from boy bands that have reunited and a missing persons enquiry to life after the
recession and the awful experience of depression. Given the fact that Marian herself suffers from this condition
it makes Helen's struggle with her darker moments so realistic without detracting from the plot. It is a brilliant
and clever mystery with lovely twists and laugh out loud humour - brilliant I stayed up all night to finish it.

Please don't leave it so long for the next one. Twenty out of Ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, 15 Sep 2012
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Marian Keyes certainly knows how to put her characters through life changing and difficult events - this is her fifth in the series about the Walsh family and so far the sisters have experienced (and survived) relationship break-ups, bereavement, infertility and addiction. In this installment we reach Helen's story and we realise from the beginning that this is a tale of depression and mental health issues. You don't have to have read the others to understand this book - although you will enjoy them very much if you do.

Helen is a private investigator who has fallen on difficult times as the Irish economy collapses. She is contacted by an old flame (with whom she had a difficult parting), Jay Parker, to investigate the disappearance of an aging pop star who has vanished just as the ex-boy band of which he is a member have scheduled some comeback concerts. No one can afford for the concerts not to happen and Helen has only a few days to find Wayne, but everyone seems to be keeping secrets. Helen has lots of skill and experience but she doesn't have a flat, any money, any friends, a settled relationship or any credit - and her mental health is beginning to break down and, worse, she is having to live at home. She must use her investigative skills (extensive) and her tact and diplomacy (non-existent) to track down what has happened to Wayne and get him back in time to save the show.

This is not really a mystery story, as it is pretty obvious what must have happened to Wayne after just a few chapters. It is also not really a story about Helen's mental breakdown although this plays a large part in the plot. This is really a witty, amusing and insightful story about one person who suffers from chronic depression and how she faces up to life. Parts of it are laugh out loud funny, especially where the author uses her undoubted gift for observation, and parts of it are very touching, especially as Helen finds herself caught once again in the spiral of mental illness with no obvious way through. All of it is gripping and absorbing reading. I engaged completely with Helen and her issues and was willing her on to solve the mystery, resolve the problems in her relationship and triumph over the debilitating effects of her illness. I found the book very optimistic and life affirming, as well as sarcastic and ironic.

I had long thought that Rachel's Holiday and Anybody Out There were the best of this series of novels but I definitely think that this novel is as good as either of them. A really satisfying and rewarding read.

ARRAY(0xa124d90c)