5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST for any thriller reader!
Published on 3 Dec. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars a little confusing
Published on 3 Mar. 2008 by Charles G.

3.0 out of 5 stars a little confusing, 3 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Osterman Weekend (Paperback)
The Osterman weekend is not a bad story, with plenty of sudden shocks and plot twists. The only thing is I finished wondering how and why the Tanners and their friends had come to be targeted in the first place. Maybe I missed something in the story but I didn't quite get this bit. The other thing that is a little bit confusing is the way the story jumps forward an hour or so with no cut from one point to the next. For example one minute someone is being shot at, in the next paragraph they are explaining things to the police. This works ok in films as you can see the change, but can catch you out in a book. I may benefit from reading it a 2nd time, but for now I'm still a bit lost on the whole thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST for any thriller reader!, 3 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Osterman Weekend (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite all time thrillers, along side such books as Forsyth's 'The ODESSA File' and John Sandford's 'Rules of Prey'. John Tanner, a television network manager, is about to have a friendly reunion that only happens once in a while - an Osterman Weekend - where four families, including Tanner's own, come together to have a good time. Everything's running as normal until the CIA step in and tell him that all of his friends arriving for the weekend are suspected soviet extremists in an operation known as Omega, who will stop at nothing to succeed in their mission, even if it means murder. Tanner has to find out who are his true friends and who are his enemies over the course of the weekend, but he is not being told everything. The plot goes even deeper than he expected... The twist is so huge that you'll be left stunned. Ludlum's talent as a master thriller writer is firmly established here, and it isn't a one off. If you like this, you'll love Ludlum's 'The Matarese Circle'.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC READ, 24 Aug. 2009
Mrs. A. M. Chadwick (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Osterman Weekend (Paperback)
This is the first novel I've read by Robert Ludlum, (the author also wrote three great books that were turned into movies "The Bourne Identity", "The Bourne Supremacy", "The Bourne Ultimatum").

So I was really looking forward to reading his novel "The Osterman Weekend" and I wasn't disappointed. :-)

John Tanner is asked if he'd help out the CIA as they suspect someone out of the couples that he's invited for the weekend is a spy by the name of Omega, and this the CIA say is the ideal time for them to catch them. Tanner is told to keep this information to himself.

The three couple all arrived after all being contacted by someone which has made them become extremely nervous and very wound up. When they are all together everything starts off alright but then things start to go downhill.

The CIA is keeping a stakeout round Tanner and his family. Tanners at his wits end and just wants someone to say that they are Omega, then he and his family can have their life back, but horrific things start to happen, to both Tanners family and his guests. John Tanner then realises he's not been told everything about the operation and starts to wonder how deep this situation really goes.

I don't want to say too much about the plot as it would spoil things, but know this, this crime thriller twists and turns at every corner.

This is a fantastic novel and its action all the way. The author grabbed my attention right from page one and held it right to the end. Not only has he done an excellent job on the story but his characters are so well written, they have plenty of depth and excellent personalities. :-)

I found this novel to be extremely compelling and a very enjoyable read; It's a book I just couldn't put down and I'd read it within a couple of hours. :-)

It's definitely a book I'd read again and I'd highly recommend it, as the book is worth every penny. :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 22 Jan. 2013
SR Parfett "comet_jockey" (Farnham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Osterman Weekend (Paperback)
I bought the book as I remember that the movie was very enjoyable. However, I can see why the movie was made. The book is quite short but provides a story that could be developed for a movie.The book is too sparse in content to provide much intrigue which is exactly what I assume Hollywood wants to build upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ludlum rules!, 18 Dec. 2013
One of his earlier books, and he continued that brilliance all through his works. His many admirers continue to try, in vain, to emulate his skills but cannot match the master. A superb writer!

3.0 out of 5 stars not my favourite RL, 23 Aug. 2013
I prefer his political thrillers. This was a little tame in comparison and didn't have me gripped like normal. But still love RL books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and engaging, 5 July 2013
The book certainly had plenty of twists and turns, the characters were engaging which keeps you engaged. However, I would have too say something was missing, not quite sure what.

I did enjoy the book but wouldn't say it was a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Ludlum, 20 Jun. 2013
Half way through the book at present hence not giving 5 stars. Admittedly a Ludlum fan, the writing is fast paced, from several strings with sensible length paragraphs that tease you into reading just one more. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 8 Mar. 2013
I first read this book over 10 years ago and its still a great read. You have to suspend thought on one or two aspects of the story and simply go with the pace of the story. Worthy of 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 5 Jan. 2013
This book was enjoyable to read and seemed quite short compared to other Ludlum books (on Kindle). I thought it was a good story but it was not as strong as other Ludlum books.