5.0 out of 5 stars Unlocked Huawei E586
Day 1) I bought this device back in late June 2012 when it became rapidly apparent how absolutely awful Vodafone's data service was and how even worse was the support - with the Vodafone dongle. The Dongle expired and I've today [mid September 2012] moved over to the Unlocked Huawei E586. I had bought three three-month '3' PAYG SIMs 3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB...
Published 22 months ago by Simon Gardner

2.0 out of 5 stars No battery supplied
No battery was supplied with this item.

No manual or instructions supplied - not even a link.
Had to Google it and eventually found it here: http://www.netvigatoreverywhere.com/download/PocketWi-FiInstallatioGuideEng.pdf.

Published 13 months ago by SnowCrash

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - did exactly what I expected of it!, 4 April 2012
An EXCELLENT device. I purchased this for a trip abroad to use in combination with an ipod touch. My trip was to Poland where you can buy a 'Play' starter mobile sim for 19Zl for 1GB. (about 4.8Zl to the 1 - Late March 2012). After putting the sim into the MiFi, I switched it on and my ipod touch immediately found the 'hot spot'. Entered the SSID and WiFi key into the ipod and it connected - no problem. It is that easy! The SSID and MiFi key are printed in the battery cover of the MiFi so won't get lost. Apparently the MiFi key can be changed along with other operator alterations.
Battery life was about 5 hours - depends on useage. The device can be used whilst charging and the USB charger with UK socket doubled up for charging my ipod touch as well! A display indicates how much data has been used.
Signal strength was good in a small appartment and on occassions I carried the MiFi in my pocket and used the internet connection whilst 'out and about'.
Skype calls were not a problem, although my camera was broken so I did not use two way video. YouTube streamed perfectly. Possibly a good thing that one cannot watch BBC iPlayer abroad as it does use up a fair bit of the old 'data'.
I found this to be an excellent device - worthy of 5 stars on this occassion but the proof will be when we have a family holiday with it when two children (plus parents) will be expecting an internet connection all at the same time. Last year we used a dongle for mobile broadband but that was limited to one laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, reliable and portable, 5 Jan 2013
dogBytes (Sligo and London) - See all my reviews
I use this for internet whenever I travel over to see my mum in Ireland.
Previously I had been paying for ADSL broadband at her house, which was very expensive every year considering I'd only use it for a few weeks.

So I got this device instead along with a pay as you go 3G internet SIM from Three Ireland. Had it up and running in a few minutes creating a WiFi network throughout the house. I have managed to find a spot in the middle of the house upstairs where the device receives a strong 3G signal and the WiFi can be picked up from any room.

As you would expect with 3G broadband it's not lightening fast, I generally get between 1.5 and 2.5 Mbps depending on the time of day. This will obviously be down to your mobile network provider and your location.

The really handy thing is being able to carry it around when out of the house, so I can get email and internet on my phone. I can get 5 or 6 hours battery power from the device before it needs a charge - probably a bit less if being used constantly.

It can take connections from up to 5 devices. On Christmas day when all the family were home we had a macBook, iPhone, nexus 7, iPod Touch and iPad all connected at the same time and working well.

Only negative thing I can say is that the device can heat up when being used a lot. I left it in my pocket a couple of times and it has overheated causing the WiFi to stop working temporarily. It works fine again once allowed to cool down, so just make sure not to leave it in your pocket when being used a lot!

It comes with a cradle for charging, but if you like you can simply charge the device via micro USB cable, so it's not essential to bring the cradle everywhere.

Overall very recommended - simple, reliable, compact and very portable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 Feb 2012
I'm using the device in France. It works perfectly with an Orange FR 3G card, for less than half the price of the equivalent "Domino" sold by Orange (the "Domino" being actually a rebranded Huawei device, but 2 generations older than this one...).

2.0 out of 5 stars No battery supplied, 18 Jun 2013
No battery was supplied with this item.

No manual or instructions supplied - not even a link.

The product is sold as a Huawei Mobile Wifi point (e.g. the title says "Huawei E586 21.6 Mbps Mobile WiFi" and there's a big white Huawei logo in the picture).
However, the product you receive has a netvigator logo on the front although it does have a Huawei badge on the back.

No VAT invoice was supplied.

----

Update: I complained via Amazon and have since received a spare battery which, to their credit, was delivered next day. Upped to 2 stars 'cos the lack of a manual made it a pain to figure out how to set it up. e.g. the Netvigator Installation Guide PDF wasn't correct.
When modifying the system settings it says go to http://setup.net (which went to an internet site).
Also the Admin password was wrong. Fortunately the comment by @TBag helped - use http://192.168.1.1 and a password of "Admin" (note the password is case-sensitive and the one in the manual uses a lowercase first letter).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Huawei E586 Mi-Fi 21.1 Mbps Mobile Hotspot (Electronics)
I bought this to act as a Wi-Fi hub for the wife and kids on holiday. It's a very smart looking piece of kit and a handy size too. Works very well with both the network sims I tried it on. Very Satisfied with the product and the speed at which it was delivered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 16 Jan 2012
A must have gadget for a safe and secure (my own network) A handy item if you love to surf on holiday.
Cute, Portable and Smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb item., 14 Dec 2013
Friends at work asked me if i knew anyway they could use portable wifi when they went away with the kids and this fits the bill perfectly. Its a very good quaiity item thats never let us down and will let the kids use the xbox or ps3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of gadget, 17 Oct 2013
I bought this because I take my work everywhere. I also travel abroad a lot. Overseas, I simply replace the wifi simcard with the local 3G network, which it picks it up straight away; and when I return to the UK, I replace the Three simcard and it simply carries on seamlessly without fuss.

It is versatile too. I simply put it in my pocket and I can access wifi internet on my mobile, tablet and macbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant WiFi, 21 Sep 2013
This has to be one of the most useful devices I have ever bought. I travel quite a lot and I am tired of paying wifi charges in hotels, so this is a brilliant solution to wifi for all my devices. Previously I had a 3 dongle for my laptop, but that obviously restricted my internet access to my laptop only. Now I can simply turn on the mifi and have instant internet for simultaneous use of iPhone, iPad, laptop, Skype phone etc. (up to 5 devices). I stayed with a 3 data SIM, so I haven't yet tangled with settings for any other provider's SIM card. The potential for buying data SIMs in other countries is very attractive, but I haven't tried it yet. The speed is amazing and I have been on-line watching YouTube videos at the same time as my son who is gaming across the internet and it has all worked seamlessly. If you are going to stick with a 3 data SIM, you should be aware that the mobile coverage of this company is a lot worse in many "remoter" areas than some of the other providers. I cannot get a signal either in my home or at work several miles away, both within Aberdeen city limits, which is very poor, but nothing to do with the Huawei device, which is brilliant.

The only down-side to this device that I have discovered after 3 months' use - and it wasn't so bad as to remove a whole star from the rating - is the relatively poor battery life. It actually gives only 1-2 hours on one full charge, so you have to be constantly aware when you are not using it and turn it off. However, the device is supplied with a (very short) USB cable, so if you buy a power socket USB adapter/charger and just plug it in, you can leave and forget. Alternatively, you can buy a 3600mAh Li-Ion Battery pack with replacement back panel for GBP40 which says it will give around 12 hours of power. In reality that probably means 8-10 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good battery and speed., 23 Jun 2013
Worked flawless with a precharged 3 sim card.
The used gb and time online display helps in controling use online.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›