5.0 out of 5 stars love, love, love it

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars love, love, love it, 16 Dec 2012
kittycat 2000 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
Having had several Sony Ericsson phones in the past, I had high expectations of this model and it has lived up to all of them. It was very easy to set up and personalise. The screen is a good size, is very clear and the zoom function is a breeze. Downloads are quick and there is a facility for inputting your data allowance and monitoring it. The "walkman" music player is second to none and as there is approx. 2gbs of memory free on the phone itself you can get a reasonable amount of music downloaded without the need for a memory card. All in all I would highly recommend this phone.

Edited to add: as this phone is compatible with my kindle charger, I didn't bother to unpack the accompanying one. However I found that the battery took a long time to charge. With the phone's own charger the recharging time is much shorter.

1.0 out of 5 stars approach with caution, 18 Nov 2013
S. Mills (Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I was a really big fan of Sony products in general but I've owned 2 different Sony phones now (the Miro being one of them) and I won't be buying another Sony. My Miro shuts the phone down during calls, won't let me see missed calls if more than two people call, has deleted my phone contacts meaning I have to add them each time etc etc. I just wanted simple things from a phone to work well. This does not achieve them. Not for me anyway. I feel exasperated enough to write this review. I'm sure Sony won't exactly change their design and production just because of my review. I'd just like to save someone else the grief if they were bordering on this or another phone. Sony, you can do much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little phone, faults though!, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I think sim free phones are better as you can swap sim cards with different networks. I personally chose to get my miro from a normal shop because of the warranty cover.
Using the phone for the first time is tricky if you have never owned a smart phone before, things like - address book for me were not easy to use as I haven't figured out how to use the thing yet. Was even complicating popping the sim card in, in the bok there are two plastic rectangles that come with it, i thought the smaller, clear one was the SIM but it wasn't. The box also comes with a piece of cloth, a scraper to remove air bubbles, charger and instructions - can't say what these are yet!
The phone is great comes with apps like Twitter, Amazon, Google Maps, GPS, Gmail and you can download more..from what i've read.

The phone shut itself down after one call which by far I am extremely unhappy about, i'm getting it changed. The telephone icon in the menu has also vanished. The wifi connection is slow but the whole phone regardless of Technical faults makes a basic mobile .. look very basic.
Iphone is probably better there are more things to download and it'll work anywhere. I'll get one someday in the future.
Make sure you get a long warranty just in case the phone breaks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I have owned this phone for around three months now. I have to say, shortly after recieving it and trying it I was impressed; for the price it seemed fairly built, and seemed to have enough processing power to handle simple tasks like social networking (especially when connected to the internet via wifi) and using media (namely music).

The screen is brilliant, and so are the three hot touch-keys. The rear loudspeaker is, put bluntly, naff, but then this is a phone and more to the point, is sub-two-hundred. Thankfully the headset speaker works like a charm and the microphone appears to be in fine working order. The virtual keyboard is rather too small, almost so much so that a person with 'averagely-sized hands' might struggle. Fortunately, there is another option of keyboard that basically takes you to one with larger keys that work as the buttons on a landline might (tap however many times to get the character you desire). The on-board media player is fine, boasting a brilliant equaliser but a slightly poor menu system (it might start to annoy you if you have a long list of artisits loaded up). Weirdly, despite Sony manufacturing it as Walkman, this player can not play music in a gapless fashion - but this can be overlooked, I feel. Video-wise, the phone is fine, and seems to be able to stream videos appropriately, given the right connection. Gaming is rather slow, but then I was advised this phone on account of it having Walkman software built-in and on accound of it being 'perfect for socialising' (and boy is it far from that...).

What really pisses me off is the phone's common tendency to crash and immediately restart. After doing a little bit of research, the blame appears to fall on Google's Android ICS 4+...whatever network you're on, somewhere on the globe, this phone is going to restart, somehow. Basically, ICS has been running for a while now and has recieved numerous large and small updates alike; not one of which has been an attempt to fix the problem. At the same time, however, blame can partly be handed to producers of phones that fall in ICS' crash-pit (this problem isn't limited to Sony mobiles, though - HTC has also had problems like this; even higher-priced products. This is why I personally blame Google).

You get a couple of weeks into using the phone to your liking before you realise that, actually, the processing power of this phone is rather dim. It is slow. And as soon as you open more than one app to run in the background, you begin to think that this may not be a very nice phone to work with. Facebook? Think again. My copy of that app has had many updates, but not one has fixed the original problem of the program simply halting and firing up error messages - usually, "Facebook has stopped responding. Would you like to close it?" This is regardless, mind you, of whatever way you're using to connect it to the internet (be it wifi or otherwise). I'm aware this could very well be a problem with Facebook itself, but, this is just a warning for you prior to using it. The Facebook Messenger app also seems to fall in a similar way. Just to add to your problems; unless you manually try to shut Facebook using the task manager wannabe, programs like Facebook running in the background WILL attempt to restart and more than likely WILL continue to crash - causing, indubitably, more error notifications that WILL interrupt your activities, further.

The most annoying thing of all happens when the phone crashes and restarts. Not only could this be during a call or whatnot, but when it restarts, it takes AGES to run 'normally' (should I say, 'acceptably'). Want to open Facebook again? You might as well wait ten minutes. Want to get your media player open for some continued music? Think again - with everything in the background running as it does (I have noticed a hefty number of updates occur immediately after the crash, alongside apps that are re-opening), you're going to have to give it a while.

I have experienced, now, Android, Apple IOS, and Blackberry OS and can say with confidence that Apple IOS, for me, tops them both. They underline the reason why a standard needs to be set for both hardware and software (baring that in mind I wonder how Windows fairs on phones?). A clear standard; one that has tight limitations of specifications.

I am very disappointed with my phone, therefore. I plan to sell it on, if at all possible, and will simply have to use a contract gaming phone to ensure I get the power I want from it, 'affordably'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
This is a brilliant phone. The screen is amazing for a phone of this price. Comparable to my S2.

I got it for my sister and she uses it to take photos and use facebook. She is not a happy person to please but this phone really made her happy. Thank goodness. lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived well in estimated delivery date, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I ordered this mobile as a replacement for my wife, as that one was in her handbag, and the screen cracked. The wife is so pleased to have the same model phone, so not to have to get used to another new phone. Would used this seller again if required to in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and sturdy phone, even better with custom ROM, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I got this phone 2 birthdays ago, and so I've done quite a lot with it and have a lot of experience with the phone.

When I first got it, I must say I was pretty impressed. For the price it's quite well built (however the backing is rather thin) and the screen is very sturdy. The resolution is only 320x480, which isn't great but it's not too noticeable when watching videos etcetera.

When I say the screen's sturdy, I've dropped this phone time and time again without any big damage done. There are a few scratches from when it fell out of my pocket into concrete, but that's as far as it goes. I've also dropped it into a puddle, and the inside got pretty damp, yet it worked absolutely fine. The front facing camera's not amazing, but it's decent for selfies. The other 5mp camera is much better, good focus. I would recommend using the AfterFocus app from the Play Store, but you'll get along just fine with the built in camera app.

One more thing, when you first get it you'll find it keeps trying to integrate with Facebook. This is fine, but it can lag the phone a lot, very noticeable when playing games. I strongly recommend flashing a custom rom to it (instrcutions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-j-e/general/xperia-miro-tipo-flashing-dummies-how-t2246059). I use CyanogenMod 10 and it's amazing. Very smooth, not at all laggy unless I'm playing really intensive games.

I would also recommend downloading a new launcher to replace the homescreen, such as Smart Launcher 2 or Aviate. They'll make your phone look better and faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone for the money, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I've had this phone for several weeks now and explored it reasonably thoroughly. It seems to me to be good value for money, doing everything well without costing the Earth. In spirit, I think it is really a mini tablet that just happens to work as a phone as well.

It runs under Android 4.0, has sufficient memory, and seems reasonably fast. Having already seen some updated apps start to fail on a device running under Android 2.2 with limited memory (new releases of apps are never smaller), I hope these features will allow it to stay current for its lifetime.

Particularly welcome is the data usage monitor and limiter. One can set a warning level, plus a data limit - particularly valuable if one is travelling and on roaming rates. It's easy to turn data traffic on and off through a widget, also possible to set a limit per app.

The only thing that hasn't worked properly is the built-in SIP client; downloading one from the Android Market (Play Store) will probably resolve this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
Really good phone, first smartphone I bought. It does everything I could ask it to. The only complaint I have is that after a month or two when space comes to a premium, the phone can become very, very slow at loading, processing etc. This should be solved with an SD card I assume

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee phone, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Miro UK Sim Free Smartphone (Electronics)
l bought this phone 8 months ago,looks great and it does everything i need.i canceled my landline and internet and now l can connect my laptop to phone for internet,works just perfect.If you get 3 or talkmobile unlimited internet packet for 18 months (+ free phone)you can save a lot of money.Time to think smart..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›