Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 July 2014
A fantastic album, which builds nicely on the musical themes from LOTR, and brings in new themes for the new film.

However, when watching the film, the most prominent and repeated motif is the Dwarves' theme, which is based on the song that Thorin sings after the dinner scene (The Misty Mountains). This, in the film, is repeated in almost every scene in which they feature (including the scenes with the trolls, in the goblin tunnels, in the trees under attack from the pale orc), and is, personally, my favourite element of the film's soundtrack. In this album, however, it is only really present in instrumental terms on The World is Ahead (If you aren't sure of the tune, it begins at 1.28 on that particular track).

I'm not really sure why it's so prominent as a musical motif in the films, yet almost completely absent from this soundtrack. It's a bit disappointing from my perspective as the film music that I enjoyed the most isn't available as a soundtrack to purchase.
on 3 October 2013
Just like with The Lord of the Rings this music is mesmerizing and beautiful. A great way to escape into Middle Earth.
on 30 January 2015
bought this virtually as soon as it was issued, which may have been a mistake, if I had waited to read the reviews I may not have bothered. It is great music and I enjoy listening to it which is why I have given it 4 stars. The problem for me is that when watching the film I really enjoyed the singing in it and there isn't much of it on this cd so whenever I listen to it I am always disappointed, if you just want to listen to some great music buy this cd, but I will always miss the dwarves voices.
on 19 March 2014
Some good music here, particularly like the theme of Thorin and the Dwarves. Takes you right back to Middle-Earth! 4/5.
on 21 August 2015
Loved this, another great album by Howard Shore. The only thing that puzzled me is that there is a track missing as for some reason Blunt the Knives has been removed from this.
on 28 November 2015
A good CD with a comprehensive set of music from the film. My only disappointment was that some of the songs from the film ('there is an inn' and deep underground in goblin town') were not included.
on 19 February 2014
Loved the Hobbit film - well, loved all of Tolkein's stuff. Brilliant acting and fantastic special effects. Marvellous scenery, costumes and interpretation of the book. Highly recommended.
on 10 March 2014
I loved it even though the DVD is not really like the book it is high entertainment value. I would also recommend the original Tolkein unabridged book and CD.
on 14 June 2014
Another masterpiece of Middle Earth music from Howard Shore. It's great how it picks up the themes from Lord of the Rings.
on 15 February 2013
Read the book seen the film loved the music.
Moving music to transport you to Middle earth and beyond .
Fans of Tolkien will enjoy I'm sure.