5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Sequel
You thought you had seen the last of element 126 (highly radioactive, extremely dangerous and incredibly valuable) at the end of Itch? Well it is back and causing a whole lot of new trouble for Itchingham Lofte and his friends.

Published 17 months ago by amelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book.
After hearing Mayo talk about the first book I read it to my year 5/6 class; they loved it. Towards the end of the year we read this sequel. It lacks the humour of the original. Few in the class enjoyed it as much as the first book-and I think most would have happily left it half way through. It relies on action and suspense-but as the pupils said, "you know Itch...
Published 11 months ago by B. Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Sequel, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Kindle Edition)

Itch (the first book in the series) has great character development and scene setting but with mainly familiar characters and a continuing storyline Itch Rocks starts with a bang and never really slows down until the boom at the end. Vomit is so last year; blood and broken bones is where it is at now and there is some fantastic bone breaking!

There is something very appealing about books that fall into the young adult category. The best ones, like Itch Rocks, have brilliant stories well told with clear, simple but wonderful language. I don't think the Itch books are kids books, they are just books that happen to have children in them that are suitable for adults and children.

Itch Rocks is also very funny; I kept being told off for giggling and laughing while reading it. Simon Mayo has a terrific sense of humour and this shines through again in Itch Rocks. Simon may have a successful day job on the radio but that is not important; Itch and Itch Rocks are just fantastically well written and enjoyable books.

As with Itch there is a real enthusiasm for the science but not to the extent that it gets in the way of the story. It is not a science book; it is an adventure story that happens to have some science in it. It all makes sense even if you wouldn't know an element from a polo mint.

Itch Rocks is quite simply a fabulous book. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Book 3 - Itch Craft - is out in September 2014 and I can't wait to spend more time with the Lofte clan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Itch really does rock, 2 Mar 2013
J. Small (Highlands, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Itch 2) (Hardcover)
My son, also 10, received his copy yesterday and hasn't put it down. He read Itch at Christmas in a few days and has been looking forward to the sequel. These books have triggered an interest in all things elemental, perhaps he is a budding chemist! Anything to keep him off computer games- well done Simon Mayo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Itch 2) (Hardcover)
I bought this and Simon Mayo's "Itch" for my friend's 10 year old son. I enjoy Simon Mayo's radio programme, I find him entertaining and articulate, so was keen to read the reviews of both books. Having done that, I bought them both with confidence and am so pleased that I did. After they'd been read, I was told that they were "Brill!!!" What more can you ask ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew he could write words as well as say them!, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Kindle Edition)
I bought a "proper" copy of Itch a while ago and only recently got round to picking it up and it was so good that I had to immediately download Itch Rocks for my kindle the second I finished the first book.
The story is really well thought out, very cleverly written and just so fast paced I felt like I could feel the wind rushing through my hair as I sped through Itchingham's story with him!

Even though it's obviously aimed at young folks (and me being a 40 something avid reader) it's not childish or immature in either it's language or content.

I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Can't wait for book 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Itch Rocks, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Kindle Edition)
A really great book that I only put down when my kindle ran out of charge. It is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book, 20 Jun 2013
H J Mac "Heath" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Kindle Edition)
This is a sequel that beats it's predecessor, which is hard to do. It propels you along, and I found it hard to put down. The cliffhangers from the last story are all solved but it's not simple or clear cut.

I really love the characters. Some of the adults are adorable, especially Mr Watkins. The kids are all great and I do like that Simon Mayo has clearly been mindful not to make this simply a boy's own adventure, the girls are great, and brave and resourceful. There's even a young female baddie, who is rather nasty and brutal.

Of course it has the typical young people's fiction cliche of the children being cleverer than all the scientists and MI5 agents around them. They outsmart the adults at every turn. But it's a cliche that works in fiction, although there were times when I did feel a bit frustrated at just how thick the supposed adult protectors were being.

Still highly recommended, I really hope there are more books coming about Itch and his ideas, this story is resolved for now, but there are quite a few plotlines and characters that could easily be developed.

5.0 out of 5 stars absorbing and exciting, 14 April 2013
Ms. B. M. Graham (New Mills, High peak) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Kindle Edition)
I read Itch because I love Simon Mayo on the radio and assumed it was a book for adults (I am 59!) I was so gripped by the original storyline and the excellent writing style that I immediately had to buy and read the follow-up, Itch Rocks, to see how the story ended. I think Simon Mayo is a genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Paperback)
Loved by grandchildren.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 25 May 2014
Really exciting sequel to Itch
Recommendations to children age 9- onwards
It's a must read
Action excitement this book is great

5.0 out of 5 stars Itch really rocks!, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Itch Rocks (Kindle Edition)
Itch rocks is a brilliant, action packed and fast paced book. The storyline is fantastic; lots of twists and turns in it. The main character, Itch, is also great. I would recommend it for ages 10+.

Itch Rocks