on 2 August 2014
Lovely tool to use. Be aware however that some (not all) third-party batteries and power-adapters that worked perfectly well with a NEX-5 will be rejected as 'incompatible' by the NEX-6 ... frustrating for photographers but Sony are trying to protect their profits and therefore the incompatibility cannot really be described as a defect of either the camera or of the third-party product.

For somebody contemplating an upgrade from a NEX-5 the significant benefits I have found have been:

(+) The viewfinder. Whereas the back screen isn't bright enough to be seen properly in bright sunlight, the view finder can be used reliably whatever the light.
(+) The controls are very similar to those of the NEX-5 but are (a) configured slightly more usefully, and (b) include an aperture dial which means that it is now very easy to adjust both aperture and shutter speed when using 'A' or 'M' modes, even when using the viewfinder.
(+) The changed location of the video button. When using the NEX-5 I would unintentionally press the video button at least once every couple of hundred pictures, and waste time and/or memory space. With the NEX6 (and over 10,000 pictures taken at the time of writing) the video button has never been activated unintentionally.
(+) The provision of a proper flash hot shoe means I have one less adapter to carry around or lose.
(+) Built-in flash. I hadn't missed built-in flash on the NEX-5 and wasn't expecting to use it on the NEX-6. However, as it happens, I've found it rather handy.

(+) The NEX6 is quite a bit larger than the NEX5. On balance, I've found this advantageous because there is more camera to hold on to. Moreover, I'd never really treated the NEX-5 as a pocket camera because of the size of the lenses I tend to use.
(+) I haven't wanted to use the WiFi or to install any 'apps' so cannot comment on these features.
(+) The menus of the NEX-6 are at least as long as those of the NEX-5 but I have less need to use them because, instead, I can use the NEX-6 body controls to change most things I want to change.

(+) My indoors photography tends to be of the slow and painstaking kind that has the camera on a tripod and subjects that aren't moving. In these situations the NEX-6 has no particular advantage over the NEX-5 because its new or enhanced features aren't especially pertinent to this kind of task.
(+) For outdoor photography of all kinds I am finding the NEX-6 to be much easier to use and more enjoyable to use than was the NEX-5 and, as a result, I reckon I'm also getting a greater percentage of pictures that I'm pleased with. The two features that make most of the difference are the viewfinder and, to a lesser extent, the aperture dial. For my outdoor photography the NEX6 has definitely been a much better tool than the NEX5.

I like the NEX5 very much but for me the acquisition of a NEX6 has been a worthwhile upgrade.
on 24 June 2014
I really wanted to love this camera. APC sized "SLR" sensor, in a small body, with a lot of lenses available, at good prices, and at relatively small size and light weight. Also, for me, it had one great attraction, paired with the 24mm equivalent pancake lens and converter you have a real (in 25mm terms) 18mm ultra wide angle lens, that is small, light-weight and performs superbly.
I purchased that lens pairing together with the 75mm (in 35mm terms) 1.8 lens.

Went on holiday to Cornwall for a few days and almost exclusively used the 18mm lens for landscape, and the results were great!

BUT, and here's the big but, there are some problems with this camera. The menu system is just diabolical. Everyone says it is, but until you try and use it you don't realise just how bad it is, especially when compared to the Sony RX100 and RX10, which are easy to use.
Next the sensor is a dust magnet. I only changed lenses a few times, very carefully, but kept getting dark dust marks on all my images. Tried rocket blowering the sensor which helped but the dust particles kept coming back. The camera supposedy has some vibration device that comes on when the camera is switched on and off to "shake" any dust particles from the sensor. Well, it doesnt work.
Worst of all is the EVF. It shimmered all the time, had lag, and was just horrible. Nothing like the EVF on the RX10 which is a joy. As I only use a viewfinder it got to the stage where I just couldnt use this camera, and returned it.

Now, of course, I may have had a "bad 'un", that is possible, but I doubt it.

I also struggled to understand why it lacked options that are standard in the RX100 and RX10 such as being able to set a range of ISO for Auto. Despite it supposedly being a more "professional" type camera it lacked a lot of options.

For the price of the body and a couple of basic lenses you can buy an RX10, and trust me, its chalk and cheese. If you can get an RX10 without a wobbly lens, its a better camera is almost every respect.

Sorry, but for me, the NEX6 is a dud. I highly recommend trying an RX10 if you are considering the NEX6.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2014
This is a great camera. Small and light, APS sized sensor. Picture quality is fantastic. Price is very nice at the moment as this camera will likely be discontinued. Grab one while you can. Go to Camera Centre for great service and fair prices.
on 13 September 2013
I can't say enough good things about the NEX6. I bought it body only, and added the SEL35F18 lens, which in itself is a gorgeous piece of glass and perfectly complements the design and ergonomics of the NEX6. I get lots of admiring comments on the camera.

I bought it principally for video, not photographs. So my short review will focus on that.

With the right lens, this is the best camera I've ever used for video capture. The only negative is the record button. It's not just not right... I regularly press it to end a clip, only to find that it hasn't responded. It's the real fly in the NEX6's ergonomics.

Forget audio capture, however, use an external audio recorder (I use the Roland R-05 with a wired lapel mic and sync in post).

All in all, this camera feels great in the hand, the view finder is pretty decent, and the quality of video captured is the best I've ever worked with.
on 13 September 2013
The body plastic, hand-grip, sensor, view finder and sensor make this the best value for money all-in-one package for interchangeable, mirror-less photography. A Must Have !
on 20 October 2013
I can't say enough good things about the NEX6. Very easy to use and provides great results.Very useful if you want to travel
on 20 September 2013
Very versatile compact camera. Very useful if you want to travel and have a worthwhile camera that you can take if the airline imposes strict size and weight restrictions.
Very easy to use and provides great results.
on 7 June 2013
Coming from the NEX-F3, the 6 is just the upgrade I want:

- viewfinder
- infrared
- WiFi
- more controls on the body instead of delving through the menus

- only ones I can find is that the apps are rather limited at this point, and that some buttons can't be customized entirely to my liking
on 4 September 2014
This "used" camera was in first class condition, and the price was very reasonable.