on 7 October 2013
Executive summary: reasonable suction, great portability, too-thin hose that can stop suction when bent, easy emptying, irritating accessory management, good for pets? - probably not, worth the money (£92 in this case)? - not altogether sure, maybe.

I've just received a new Vax Air Mini Pet (C88-AM-P) and have given it a test drive. It replaces a larger Vax (of a similar type) that we had for 5 years and left in our old flat when we moved.

As many reviews of this model and its sister models relate, the build quality seems to have gone down over the years. While my previous model was a war of attrition with the accessories and the filters over time, the main unit remained solid. This one feels less solid - the hose fitting into the main unit doesn't feel nearly as solid, the hose (mentioned in a lot of different reviews - again mainly on sister models) is considerably more flimsy and does bend - cutting off suction, if you don't keep an eye on it. And the attachment that keeps some of your accessories along for the ride - yes, the attachments fall off (turn it so they sit on it rather than hold tight to it and you may have some more luck) and the attachment itself falls off too. Not a major, but in my previous model, the attachment was built into the handle (so couldn't fall off) and generally the "crevice device" didn't fall out of it. In the end, I just left the attachments nearby.

It IS a smaller unit and lighter than my previous Vax - but not dramatically so - but it makes for easy movement. Vacuuming difficult staircases and cobwebs is perfectly OK (I'm normally fit and healthy so that does have a bearing on that).

Like my previous one, emptying it when I've finished is totally easy. Pop a catch and the "dirt container" comes off, pop another catch and the bottom falls open to let the dust into your rubbish bag. Done.

The power cord and hose seem long enough and dirt container seems to have enough room to suck up plenty of dirt. It's "normal" noisy - not excessive but not quiet either.

Another thing worth noting, what comes with it (I'm not sure of the technical terms so here goes): a crevice tool, a combination floor brush (flick a switch for the carpet or flat floors - not overwhelming), a turbo tool (the small one - my other Vax came with a wide and narrow one - this is just the narrow one and it's OK), a small brush (good for dusting shelves), and a small flat "thing" which I'm not sure what it's for (checks PDF manual online - upholstery tool).

Does it work? The suction is reasonable but not overwhelming - the usual test putting the crevice tool on a curtain by accident didn't incur instant doom but it certainly has good enough suction for most basic vacuuming. It is light enough to get around most places - I like to get into corners and behind things to vacuum and it worked fine for that. If I had a pet, I think I would have wished I'd got a bigger vacuum cleaner with more power (the well-hidden ACTUAL wattage is 1400, I think my previous one was 2000+). I don't think it would be hugely fantastic for getting ingrained cat fur or dog hair from carpets.

Needless to say, I haven't dealt with cleaning the filters yet but that seems simple enough.

Summary: reasonable suction, great portability, too-thin hose that can stop suction when bent, easy emptying, irritating accessory management, good for pets? - probably not, worth the money (£92 in this case)? - not altogether sure, maybe.
on 26 November 2013
I have tried numerous different small cleaners and read the reviews and the promises of how well they perform etc etc, well let me tell you this is the only true champion the suction is fantastic it will actually lift the carpets / mats out of the car. If like me you only want to do the job once and not spend hours going over and over to try and get it clean, then look no further.
on 6 November 2013
This is very useful as our 'upstairs' cleaner as our Dyson is very heavy to drag up the stairs. It is quite effective at removing dog hairs from the carpets.
on 28 March 2014
The good thing about it is its cheap!!!! The not so good things are:
Its a pain to empty the top filter cover (where the handle is) comes apart if you try to shake the dust out even just a gentle shake so you therefore have to get your hand in to pull out the fluffy bits that get stuck around the inside very messy also the bottom flap gets in the way when trying to empty it too a real pain!!
The pipe is very plastic and kinks easily.
The velvet strips on the upholstery adapter came off on the second use.
Its not actually that small!!
The filter needs a good bash to get the dust out after every use or the suction is rubbish, it does state this in the manual but I've had other vacuum cleaners like this and they didn't need the filter cleaning after every use like this one does!! And I've only got it for a 35ft static caravan its not like I'm hoovering a big house.
I would not buy again and do not recommend this hoover
on 31 December 2014
Its ok but if I had the chance i wouldn't buy it again. My main issue was the length of the handle which made me stoop to use it, even though I'm only 5tf 2in tall its too short for me. I ended up with a back ache after using it. The dust cylinder is quite small too and I found I had to stop and empty it several times while cleaning my house. The suction was so so and I had to go over pet hair several times to pick them up. The top kept coming off when I was emptying the dust cylinder and was fiddly to put back, I found. On a positive note its small and compact, easy to carry up and down stairs and manoeuvre.
on 6 July 2014
Where do I begin, I'll start by saying worst vacuum I have ever owned. I have just sent my second back to amazon (once again top customer service).
The first stopped working after a few months and the hose is actually to long for its own good it crimps in area's and completely looses suction.
The second the hose crimped again in multiple area's the extentable nozzle didn't lock into position the stair attachment didn't work. Overall a very poor constructed hoover. I have had decent vax's in the past but this one is to be avoided.
on 14 March 2014
Bought this as the price was good and it was an Amazon prime product which is great if you don't like waiting. The machine works really well and even when used daily it seems to find dirt in my house. The downside is the hose is quite thin plastic and kinks readily which I'm sure in time will need replacing also there is no swivel on the head or the connection to the machine which adds to the kinking of the hose. All in all it is value for money but it's proof you get what you pay for.I would still recommend it but the hose is an issue.
on 18 March 2014
This is the 3rd one i have had and i am now sending it back and getting a different one. The suction itself is good and i cant fault that but the hose has folded over on itself and is blocking the suction all the time. The last one i had the head fell off and i couldnt put it back on and the one before that the extendable clip on the hose stopped working. I am now fed up with this hoover and looking for a different make. I would not recomened anyone buy this item.
on 26 April 2014
Arrived on time and well wrapped, however, I would NOT recommend this product. The hose is not of good standard and constantly 'bends' on use which cuts off suction, until you physically straighten it out. It also tends to tip over as it is so light. I have a back problem and chose this cleaner specifically, but have to constantly bend down to attend to what I consider as 'flaws' in the manufacture. The seller did a good job though!
on 17 March 2014
Now I know why I've always loved Henry's and Georges! Whoever 'designed' this needs shooting. The hose kinks at every opportunity, probably as a very cheap polymer is used to extrude it. Emptying the dust is the messiest job on the planet and as for cleaning the filters . . . . . . . . . . . The only thing good about it is the suction - at least it can pull a hen off it's nest! BUY THIS BEAST AT YOUR PERIL