Brainwavz M5 In-Ear Noise Isolating Headphones - Black
Price:£29.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I think these are excellent earphones. They were sent to me by Brainwavz for review and, like others of theirs I have tried, they sound exceptionally good once they are properly adjusted, and far better than I might expect at this price.

They come with a very nice little carrying case and a good range of silicone tips for a good fit. The build quality is very good; the earphones themselves are made of machined aluminium, painted a sleek black onto which you fit the tips which suit you best, they have a good copper connecting cable and the jack is gold-plated. This is plainly a well-made product.

The description says that these M5 earphones are "designed to sound good with any genre of music." I think that's a fair claim: for earphones in this price range the sound is excellent: precise and well-balanced with an exceptionally firm bass. The middles are rich and there is a good, bright treble which is hiss-free even at high volume. I have a Test Playlist which I use for audio products beginning with 15th Century choral music, ending up with The Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen and London Grammar and going through most things in between; these perform well on everything. There is clear, articulate sound throughout the frequency range, they go plenty loud enough and the bass in things like London Grammar's Hey Now really resonates in your head. Especially at this price, I think it is remarkably good sound quality.

Correct positioning in the ear is vital with earphones like this. For some reason I found it quite difficult at first to get the right tips and position and I spent quite a while fiddling about with them. However, now I've got them right they are excellent, with a simple and comfortable fit. I suspect that the reviewers here who didn't find the sound good haven't really adjusted the earbuds properly, but it's well worth taking the time to get it right if you need to. These are a quality product at a very reasonable price, giving excellent sound. They are well made by people who really know and care about sound and I can recommend them warmly.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Once again the Brainwavz team have really hit the mark.
These In ear Earphones are simply a wonderful piece of kit.

The sound that you get from these fabulous earphones is brilliant and rivals many others costing many times more.

Simply put the Brainwavz team are sonic engineers.

Their product is brilliant BUT where the Brainwavz really score is that their design team product really good looking and smart looks to match the heart of the earphones.

The sound is really good.
I always try to road test my earphones with a variety of mediums.

The first is the spoken word.
For this I used Big Finish's Dr Who return to the New World.
The earphones cancelled out all outside noises.

I was there with Jago and Litefoot together with the good Doctor in America back in the 18th century.
Sound effects were brought to the fore and the voices really were delivered well.

Next Heavy rock. Thin Lizzie live (and dangerous) The Bass was terrific and sound again good.
For good measure I tried Cheap Trick again great.
John Cougar Mellencamp followed and again the lighted tones were excellent.

I won't go into specs because you can read them yourselves in the blur description.
BUT the sound is so good because

'The Brainwavz R1 are driven by two dynamic drivers, in a woofer and tweeter configuration. Most earphones only use one speaker, with the R1 two speakers are utilized to provide a better reproduction of sound across the entire audible sound spectrum. Using two drivers work harmoniously to provide a sound deep in bass and rich in detail. The R1 are suitable for any genre of music and are intended to be worn in a over the ear manner.'
I simply cannot put it better.

Now to looks.

As always the presentation of Brainwavz is excellent.
I do appreciate this may seem trivial but bear with me.
If you are buying these for a friend or a teenager that you are in luck.
The box and presentation is excellent.
You will be proud to give such a well presented gift that really does look a lot more expensive that these are (I was provided mine for review).

BUT the big problem with in ear earphones is the comfort factor.
We all have different ears and the normal one sized fits all doesn't really do what it says.

You are onto a winner here because Brainwavz seem to go that extra mile and include a variety of different earpieces.
In the box you get.
1 pair of Comply foam tips
6 Pairs of ear tips in small medium and large and a pair of
Bi-Flange tips.
So you are sure to fine the best combination for a good comfortable fit.

And that's not all for there is
a 6.3mm adapter
An Airplane adapter great for when you fly (this will save you having to fork out for the things mid flight and a really smart, hard carrying case.

See what I mean about value, care to detail and design?
There is a long guarantee but these are so well made I would love to get a job at the complaints and returns Brainwavz department simply because I would have loads of time to read books!

All in all a fabulous set of earphones that sound great, look fabulous and fit really well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Brainwavz have a great reputation for producing affordable top quality audiophile standard headphones and these M5's are no exception. I've been using them for a week or so now. . .

In the box you find -

- The M5's with a 1.3 meter oxygen free copper cable with a standard 3.5mm 'L shaped' jack plug which is gold plated. These come already fitted with silicone earbuds

- A very nice quality hard zipper case in which to store your earphones. There are two mesh pockets inside to store all the extra stuff

- Earbuds earbuds earbuds! You get. . .
6 pairs of Silicone tips in sizes S, M and L
1 set of Comply series S earbuds which for me give a great fit and do block out all external sound as practicably possible

Hence the the two mesh pockets in the carry case for all the earbuds!

- A shirt clip and a 12 month warranty card

The M5's have been very well designed in my opinion. I've gone through many a pair of in ear earphones being a cyclist/hiker/climber on and off over the last 30 odd years. They've all bit the dust as they get soaked in sweat that just corrodes them in no time or tangled and twisted until they snap but these look like they're going to last for a long time as the cable is quite a decent thickness and will take a bit of stick!

They're made from metal and are well engineered to a lovely black ridged finish. The cable has good rubber strain reliefs on it which should extend the life of the earphones for ruffians like me! They took a bit of fiddling with to get the fit just right in trying the different buds out and deciding which to use but I definitely prefer the Comply buds.

In use -

The important bit - how they sound! I do not claim to be an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but I know a good quality sound when I hear it and these M5's give a very good clarity balanced audio experience. I've listened to quite a few pieces of music through these and one thing has become apparent - Most people I imagine nowadays listen to their music on some digital format (I do) and don't even realise what bit-rate settings they have their music files set to. So if you're listening to big expansive music such as what you'd get from a full orchestra in classical music then these will really highlight any short fall in the quality of the file. So you need to be listening to a quality recording to appreciate these fully as with any decent head/earphones.

We all have our favourite music for testing earphones out which are usually tracks that 'we' know every little nuance of after listening to them 100 times over! In my case I put these earphones through their paces listening to a lot of Steely Dan, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, Priestess, Deep Purple and Zepplin,The Bee Gees and some Chinese folk music! They all sounded excellent to me. Great clarity and a nice not overpowering bass. I think the description of these as suitable for all music genres is spot on. You can of course use the equaliser built in to your digital devices to change the sound you're listening to. The number of different sound options on my Galaxy Note 2 are brilliant!

I've also used these via my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) to listen to the Tune In Radio app and some The Naked Scientists podcasts and audio books which were all superb.These headphones are great for picking out those faint but necessary sound effects in audio books. I listened to 'Dracula' as performed by Frederick Jaeger and Phyllis Logan for BBC Horror and it sounded amazing! Scary stuff.

As ever from Brainwavz, great quality headphones.

These earphones were kindly sent to me for test and review purposes.

Ps - There are some great 'sound tests' on YouTube that are worth having a listen to through these earphones to show you how good they are!

Recommended.
on 25 June 2014
Having tried and tested the Brainwavz Delta Earphones at the same time I've been using these, I will say that the Brainwavz Delta may be the best value for those interested in getting fine, relatively low cost, earphones. However, the sound quality in the Brainwavz M5 is sufficiently better that audiophiles who want superb low end market earphones with very good audio quality should regard the Brainwavz M5 as their first choice. I've been privileged to test these earphones courtesy of the manufacturer, but it hasn't biased my favorable assessment of these as among the best in their class I have used. The sound quality is surprisingly neutral, with almost equal weight to treble and bass; those preferring a more rich bass sound might want to acquire one of Brainwavz's more expensive models, like, for example, the S1. Like its more expensive siblings, the Brainwavz M5 is exceptionally well made out of metal, with sturdy wiring, and a rugged travel case that comes with the earphones, along with foam tips and silicone ear and flange tips that users can switch the originals with for better comfort. (However, having noted these accessories that come along with the earphones themselves, I haven't found any need to use them since the earbuds that come with the earphones are among the most comfortable I have ever used.)
on 20 July 2015
I have quite few pairs of headphones and IEM's. Somehow I have ended up a bit of a collector of midrange products. I have heard just a few high end products because it's impossible to find somewhere to check them out. With IEM's it's impossible for cleanliness issues. So in general I buy on a mixture of reviews/special offers together. In headphones I tend to use my PSB M4U-1's and Philips SHP9500's. In my IEM's I tend to use my vsonic vsd3s and these Brainwavz M5. I ordered a different pair of Brainwavz earphones but received these by mistake. Because of heath reasons I never got a chance to do a return so I was stuck with them. I did not like them because there was no apparent bass. I have a pair of Havi B3 Pro 1's which have a lovely treble and midrange but no bass at all which I now find thoroughly unlikable. Strangely I persevered with these M5's and put on a larger ear tip and after a while a REAL bass began to emerge. Treble and midrange are now beautifully integrated with the bass. The fact that none of my on ear or over the ear headphones shame these M5's is a testament to their quality of sound. They are well made and do look very nice in black. I use them all the time out and about and I have about 10 pairs of IEM's. I recommend them but be patient they do open up.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I’ve had a couple of Brainwavz earphones and have been really impressed with the sound and the quality, after reading a few of the reviews on the M5’s I was worried that they wouldn’t be any good.

On receiving my M5’s I was as always impressed with the packing and they way the look, thought build was very good, I’ve worked in the electric retail trade for near 30 years and have sold and tested 100’s of headphones and earphones and I thought the Brainwavz build was excellent.

Build and looks count for nothing if the sound is not up to much, I tried the M5’s with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and thought they sounded superb, I played my Trance album which I do like to be played loud and they performed superbly well, no distortion. I noted that one review mentioned no bass, I thought there were loads, matched nicely by the mid and treble’s.

I have the Brainwavz R3’s which I do like, the M5’s are not as good but for the money they come very near to the sound quality, I prefer they design for my ear’s on the R3’s.

The earphones come with a nice case a shirt clip to keep the cable in place and 6 replacement tips, superb pack.

For the money these are very good, I would recommend them to anyone who wants quality at an affordable price.
on 14 January 2013
These IEMs are are really good, the only thing that i dont like is that there is no clip to hold the wire, how every this shouldnt be a problem since the wire is not that long, just about perfect length
the second thing and the most important one is the sound quality, although its very loud, however the bass is overwhelming and one can not use any special effects to the bass or it will dominate the whole thing, an equalizer with low end lowered sometimes makes things better, bassheads will enjoy this one
overall, its sturdy, comfortable ,lots of ear tips, and the pouch is really nice, for the price its a very good deal
on 19 June 2015
Male vocals are crystal clear. female vocals at the high end tends to be shrill at times at even moderate volumes.
excellent bass- razor sharp especially at the low end.
Mids aren't as recessed as you would expect from a bass heavy pair like these.
Fairly balanced sound except for the bass which is very strong but almost never at the expense of the vocals.
Soundstage isn't anything special.
Superb build quality- a clear departure from brainwavz's original poor quality. My only gripe is with the cable which is rather heavy duty and makes a lot of rustle at even the slightest provocation. This is definitely not a pair for exercise despite its build quality and may even not be of use for your daily commute- perhaps that's why a shirt clip is provided.
If you've ever heard the M50s, this is a slightly more refined version of if- in terms of a more balanced sound signature and better quality bass.
I have not heard the M1s but chose these over them due to superior build quality.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
These are nice, above average earphones that offer a clear clarity of sound, with both bass and treble mixing correctly to give a rounded sound that is perfect for the music connoisseur. To try these out I listened to Bishops Green: Bishops Green and the phones were perfect for Canadian's finest Oi! band. As ever, Brainwavz gives you loads of accessories, ranging from a hard carry case and numerous ear tips - a trick that other headphone producers would do well to copy. The cable is sturdy and appears to be long-lasting, with the connections being extra durable. All in all these are quality earphones for a decent enough price. My thanks to Brainwavz for providing me with a review copy.
on 15 March 2015
Agree with the comments from others about the sound quality which certainly warrants either 4 or 5 stars.
But in my case whatever buds I try, and I have now tried 3 sizes plus the Comply foam buds, they will not stay in my ears even when I am sitting down on my daily commute. Walking around with them is out of the question. And this is not a problem that I have had with any other in ear headphones.
So I have reluctantly bought a pair of Sennheiser in ear headphones and am treating these as spares. A shame as the sound is bright, clear and exactly how I like it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See one answered question