4.0 out of 5 stars Best camera I have ever used except for the filthy sensor
I bought this D600 two weeks ago. The size, weight and feel are superb. The viewfinder is large and the portraits I have taken look wonderful.

But, what a FILTHY sensor. This is unacceptable on a new camera.

Published 14 months ago by Musiclover

Published 12 months ago by Mr. Masterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Best camera I have ever used except for the filthy sensor, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)

But, what a FILTHY sensor. This is unacceptable on a new camera.

Using apertures from 2.8 to f5.6 with a 100mm macro lens on portraits has produced beautiful pictures. The dirty sensor does not show on such open apertures. The other day I took some macro shots and set the aperture between f/16 and f/32 to get a decent depth of field. When loading the pictures on to my computer the images looked horrific and covered, literally, in hundreds of dust and oily spots. I rang Nikon and they told me that the dirty sensor is documented as a problem on their D600 website page. The man told me that the oil and dirty sensor problems are occurring on certain D600's and Nikon do not yet have a solution to this. I have read that these problems go away after taking 3000 shots. Nikon said I can send the camera to them for a sensor clean and maybe a new mirror and shutter mechanism. I said that this was unacceptable on a new camera costing 1369.00. No way should I have to do this with a two-week old camera which should not have these problems. This camera is going back to Amazon. It's a real shame as I love it but it really is substandard and not acceptable.

Update: I bought a blower as suggested by Nikon, and I cleaned the sensor. No joy I am afraid. The marks, dots and filth are still showing on the pictures. I have also used a 50mm 1.4G and the problems are still there from f/11 to f/16. I have now returned the camera. Such a shame, as the D600 is the nicest camera I have ever used. If Nikon get some quality control and sort this major problem out then I will buy another D600. Until then it is bye bye Nikon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes The Dust / Oil Spots Issues Are Well & Truly Still Present, 19 Aug 2013
OK, so you've done your research and you have decided it's now over a year since these dust / oil on the sensor issues were everywhere, besides there's got to be a chance that Nikon have sorted it and you're bound to get a body with this issue now gone. Or you feel well, my DSLR's all suffer from dust on the sensor and I'll just learn to clean it or blow it off. Or you think I shoot at large apertures anyway so what's the big deal?

I thought of all these points and have gone through 5 bodies and each one after a few shutter actuations showed spots/dust (some of which I did manage to blow off using the Giottos Rocket Blower). So I thought OK I can live with this, I shoot wide open anyway, and what's the most I stop down to? F11, F8 (before diffraction starts to become an issue) so let's see what the problem is like at F8 to F11. Sadly and disappointingly spots do appear and they are noticeable. What is so annoying is that these spots are from particles which must be coming from the shutter box as I have done all the tests which I won't bother to describe here. For those who say stop doing tests and enjoy the camera or stop being technical and shoot some pictures don't seem to grasp the basic concept - if all other Nikon camera's don't display this problem and this one does, then it is a problem. I do need to stop down to about F11 now and then and this camera cannot be trusted to "not draw out particles" which land on the sensor which at any moment can ruin your images.

This camera is almost perfect if not for this issue. OK it's true the D7100 has a bigger and better AF array and that's just silly as it has a smaller sensor. But hey Nikon need to protect their high end Pro range market. What I can't believe is that I am wasting time even writing about this dust/oil issue. I never write reviews, but I feel Nikon bank on people hopefully not having time for this and hence haven't bothered to deal with it. In fact so many corporations now bank on customers not having the time to complain, or to return items or wanting to waste money on expensive complaint lines that they just don't bother with customer service like they should or once did.

Amazon on the other hand - they are absolutely the best. I would buy everything from here if I could, they truly are the best e-tailer. Anyone saying otherwise I suspect is probably hired by competitors (and on that note - no I don't work for Canon or Sony or anyone else).

Anyway it is with great sadness that I have returned these cameras and yes nothing can beat Full Frame performance. Also for me there are 2 prerequisites that make this camera almost perfect, 2 Memory card slots of the same kind, and a built in flash which can also act as a commander for advanced remote flash lighting or even as a simple slave trigger. There is no camera on the market which offers this except this one. Plus when it comes to low light photography this camera is simply the best - no competition (well except for the Nikon D3S).

So at the moment I'm having to get some more life out of my pair of D700's and D7000. I may even buy this again later if I learn that there's a chance Nikon may have sorted this problem as I love this camera, it's gorgeous in every respect, the images that come straight out of the camera (JPEGs) are sublime. I can uninstall Photoshop...!!

If anyone has any questions please "comment" and I will answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars D600 is the business, 4 Oct 2012
I've only just started using this camera and I must say I am very impressed. Coming from a Nikon D300 & a D7000 camera and having read all the hype I expected great things from the D600. What I did not expect was to be utterly blown away by the results of my first tests. Using the camera in fine jpeg mode and neutral colour bias with and without the built in flash with an AF-S 50mm 1.4g I shot off about sixty or so images of pretty much anything around me. I have not posted pictures as I am sure nobody will want to see the clutter in my living room, not to mention the fact that most of the subjects were items of furniture, ornaments and a few of my dogs. Not the most exciting stuff in the world. In any event even with the rather dull subject matter I was rivited to my laptop by the stand out quality of the images that this combination can produce.
There is no sign of the much mentioned colour shift on the cameras rear display and the auto ajusting semsor on the same works efficiently and accurately. There appears to be no issues with left focus or multi-flash ussage with my three Nikon flashguns as has been mentioned as being an issue on the D800.
The focusing area is smaller than I would of liked but not a deal breaker and easily worked around. The system in my limited testing so far has proved itself to be quite efficient except when I tried to focus on a half leaf covered all white metal plate with evenly spaced holes all over its surface. This is the only thing that I have found can give the AF a problen thus far. I have found that the AF is happier when the camera is used in landscape mode as apposed to portrait mode which I would gues is somthing to do with the number of cross type sensors available for portrait/landscape mode. Again this is fairly easy to work around.
I have experemented with high ISO settings and managed to take a few very pleasing images of my son's warderobe with a considerable amount of clear detail and surprisingly little noise, even though I could only make it out as a dark shape the other side of his room. This was at ISO 25000 which is a whole lot higer than I would usually use.

The only possible negative point I have discovered so far is with the flash. Whether using the inbuilt unit or an external flash the colours are unaturally warm and saturated. On certain subjects the effect is actually very pleasing but for the main I find it best to use the inbuilt options to tone the colour and warmth down a little. Again not a major issue and some may even concider it an advantage depending on the type of images you take.

All in all, I am very impressed with this camera and would highly reccomend it to both enthusiasts and professionals alike.

One final point is that Amazon as usual delivered the goods in a timely fashion and well packaged to avoid damage in transit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning FF camera in a very tidy little (but not too little) package!!, 24 Sep 2012
C. Thorne - See all my reviews
I'm not one for writing reviews about products as I usually just prefer to get out and enjoy my purchases rather than bleet on about how fantastic, or not as the case may be, they are. However, this camera is seriously great and I think it warrants a quick write up, and after all, I'm sure there's a few of you who will find my comments of some interest.

Let me start by saying that I am a converted Canon user of old and came from a 5D mk2 with some nice L glass to go with it. I sold off the Canon stuff and picked up a D7000 with a couple of DX lenses and was blown away with the image quality that this crop sensor could produce. For me personally, I realised that Nikon bodies were beating Canon stuff and so I started building my collection of Nikon glass.
At the start of this year I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a Nikon D4 and this of course has really set the bench mark as far as DSLR's go. When the D600 was announced I was excited as the crop sensor of the D7000 was becoming an irritation when using it as a second or backup to my D4 as I had to take into account the crop factor with my FX glass, and so the D600 seemed to offer the best package for my needs (the D800 was overkill for me at 36mp).

I've only had the D600 for a coupe of days now but it has far exceeded my expectations. The body is small, certainly compared with the D4, but it is chunkier and feels much more solid in the hands than the D7000. It certainly feels a little heavier than the D7k which I like as it seems to balance better with heavy glass on the front. The build quality is good, and whilst it does have some plastic parts it does not feel cheap or delicate.

Positives:

- High ISO performance is outstanding. DxO rate this camera as having the third best sensor in the world, after the D800e and D800. Not bad for a sub 2k camera.
- Handling and ergonomics are very nice indeed (for my hands anyway). I have configured the AE/L AF/L button to be 'AF-ON' and it sits nicely under my thumb. The grip fits my hands well and has enough size to allow my fingers to wrap round securely. Certainly more so than the D7000, but clearly not as much as the D4.
- Image quality is exceptional. The 24mp files are big and really pull out tonnes of fine detail, also allowing room for croppiing. The IQ as far as detail slightly trumps the D4 I would say. But of course the D4 is a different beast altogether :-).
- So far I have not had to apply any AF fine tuning with any of my lenses. Interestingly I did have to tweak a couple of lenses on my D4.
- The AF system is excellent. I have heard people say it is the same AF module lifted from the D7k but I have also read that Nikon have tweaked it somewhat. I thnk it shows as it seems snappier and slightly more accurate than the D7k.

Negatives:

- The plasticy feel of some parts of the camera is a little cheap perhaps, but not offensive. The battery door feels a bit flimsy and doesn't seem to sit completely flush against the bottom of the camera for example. But, I think I am a bit spoilt with the D4 which feels like a tank, so anything else feels a little less solid now.

Thats about my only real minor niggle, but apart from that I can't fault this camera at all. Its really superb and I think represents an excellent option for those looking to get into FF photography, but also those looking for a smaller lighter FF backup or second body.

Personally I think Nikon have done it again and are really leading the way now with DSLR cameras. Canon have their work cut out over the next few years thats for sure. Especially after their recent 6D launch! Oh dear.

5.0 out of 5 stars D300 Upgrade - First Time Using Full Frame DSLR, 17 Jan 2013
I made the decision to upgrade to a Full frame (FX) camera over several months after the D600 was released. I loved my twin D300 cameras but the only things holding me back with them was the high ISO performance (low light shooting) and the reduced control over depth of field because of the smaller sensor. I decided that I could upgrade to FX and sell one of my D300's and f2.8 DX lens collection to pay for it, and use a f4 zoom and some prime lenses on the D600.

First impressions were good, this camera is not as sturdy or solid in the hand when compared to the D300, but for my use it feels robust enough. The handgrips are slightly thinner and less grippy than those on the D300 and it certainly feels more like the amateur camera Nikon say it is than the professional level D300, D300s or the D700. My fourth finger on my right hand only half fits onto the grip, so I can see I will want the optional MB-D14 battery grip to make the camera more comfortable to hold if I use it for an all day shoot.

I've spent 5 years learning about depth of field, shutter speed and ISO on the DX line of cameras, and the FX camera doesn't feel as different as I thought it might. The main differences I have noticed so far compared to the D300 are the lack of grainy noise at ISOs above 800 and the exposure and white balance are more accurate. The pictures just look better straight from the camera than the exact same images shot on DX. I have only tried RAW files so far, but the output at ISO 6400 on the D600 is around the same as ISO 1600 on the D300 as far as noise goes.

Many of the controls are slightly different on the D600 as there are less buttons than on the D300 style bodies. The main controls I've noticed/missed are the button for selecting focus points (multi or single point focus) and the quality/iso/white balance buttons. The lack of dedicated button means you have to press another button and then turn one of the control dials by the shutter release. Once you've done this a few times it becomes intuitive and no slower to use than on the older camera. Many people have criticized the smaller spread of the focus points, but I haven't found this to be a big problem.

The other differences between these two cameras are more subtle. There is a brighter, more colourful look to the images shot on the D600, no doubt in part due to the increased tonal range from the sensor and in the Expeed 3 processing engine. The subject 'pops out' far more in the images on full frame, both because of the colours and also the reduced depth of field. Although the background blur and bokeh are not as dramatically different as I thought they may be, the effect does enhance the photos noticeably.

So, was it worth the investment? The D600 at the time of writing is almost 1000 more than a used D300 in excellent condition. I could only afford it because I had spent some time building up a collection of DX lenses which I have now sold. It feels like I am starting again now, as there will no doubt be some FX glass that I end up wanting (eg a super wide angle lens) - but the main reason for going to FX has been to reduce the weight of my camera kit. The difference in low light performance of the FX cameras means that f2.8 lenses can be substituted with f4 lenses and the weight of kit overall will be reduced. A couple of primes can be bought cheaply to take care of portrait work and very low light situations, and a 24-120 f4 for everything else.

I am pleased that I finally took the plunge and bought into full frame photography. The D800 is another step up and would mean an upgrade to my computer to handle the file size so that was out of the question. The D600 is perfectly placed for the very top of the range in amateur photography and I am delighted with my purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great camera let down by poor quality control, 30 Dec 2012
I loved this camera. Got it in early November and instantly fell in love. This was my first Nikon camera. I have used Sony previously. Ergonomics of D600 is very good and I experienced very little friction in learning the controls and ways of this camera. My main fear with DSLR technology is AF accuracy. D600 proved to be a reliable camera in this regard focusing spot on about 9 out of 10 times with 85/1.8 G lens. The AF zones are grouped in the middle but are sufficiently spread for most shots. Sensor distribution across frame can be better but is not a problem. One big annoyance is the lack of direct 100% magnification in review - one has to zoom all the way in and then go back 2 steps....very slow.

I unfortunately returned my camera as after 3 weeks of use and 4000 shots. By that time the sensor was densly packed with dust and a simple blow would not solve the issue. I own three other interchangeable lens cameras and never had such quantity of dust. My Sony A700 is 5 years old and has had only couple of dust blowing intervnetions to remove single dust specs. As other reviewers indicated this amount of dust is clearly not due to lens changes, something is falling apart inside the camera. So I decided to not wait for the warranty to finish and see this great camera die due to the root cause issue for the dust (defect in shutter, mirror or other emchanical mechanism).

So end of the day I returned the D600 with great regrets. I hope Nikon soon come public about this issue and solve it so I can buy another D600 and enjoy it. Even if Nikon only acknowldge the problem andprovide assesment of any possible further damage that may occur I could buy the camera again. Nikon so far are not coming open and this leaves customers in limbo.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dust magnet..., 7 Aug 2013
This is absolutely a great camera, but i didn't expect to buy something that is so sensible for dust, especially when i bought it only one month ago. I thought, it's july 2013 and every problem of the past must be fixed, but i was wrong. After only approximately 350 clicks i discovered four particles in my images. It was time to check this out and did several in-camera cleanings and one with a rocket blower. Then i took a picture (f16) of the casting sky. Uploaded the picture, did some altering to view it better and i discovered more than 20 specks.

Crazy isn't? After more than one year in production, nothing has changed. The specks are comparable with all the pictures you'll find around the web. So i don't have to tell you how disappointed i am, i really lost my faith in this brand. Seems like the only thing they care about is sales. But, i will try to see it positive and that is that i will learn how to clean the sensor myself.

NEVER EXPECTED THIS! Think before you buy, mine was bought july, 3, 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D600 really does the stuff, 31 Dec 2012
I am not really a gear head but my eyesight is getting a bit worse and I found the bigger viewfinder really helped me sooooo..... I traded my d300 and a couple of DX lenses in at a local dealer against a D600 and 50mm f1.8 AFS, would have loved to use amazon and save myself 150 quid. Enough said, this reminds me of my first and only camera for 25 years the Nikon FE in that it is smaller lighter than the professional models but is still capable of stunning results. Nikon really do have great ergonomics and everything is almost infinitley customisable to your style, tough there is less direct access to some functions as in the professional models via dedicated buttons to me this is more than offset by U1 and U2 settings that let you keep your favourite settings at the twist of a knob so to speak. Build quality is on the whole very good, but some buttons and the command dials lack the solidity of other models. Image quality is very very very good and in low light the pixels just seem to suck light in. The images are sharp with plenty of detail and rich and graduated tones right through the spectrum. The light has been rubbish all week and I can't wait to see what this camera is really capable of. ISO is very good I photographed a friends birthday party at ISO 5000 in a darkened hall and got very useable images. AF is excellent bearing in mind that if you want to photograph a black cat in a coal seller it will struggle or you want to focus on a moving subject right across the frame. I found the setting - AFA mode with 39 points very fast and predictable for everyday use.

Add to that the brilliant Nikon CLS system for flash and there is very little the D600 cannot do. I particularly like the option of the HDR mode for capturing both sky and subject which is invaluable for where high and lowlights light details get lost.

All in all Nikon got it just right for the price point, this is an enthusiast camera for those who like to take a wide variety of photographs and it will reward you with some stunning results. If you are more specialised then think carefully about this camera and look at the D800/D4 if your budget allows. I do some weddings when asked and I can't wait with the D600. Any downsides? one or two, Nikon Capture NX2 is not included so you will have to purchase this if you want the full benefit of the Nefs and one other thing the function wheel on the back is a bit small. Otherwise Nikon can put a brilliant tool for picture taking in your hands at a price that has become very much more affordable but still isn't cheap, now for a wide angle zoom.....

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems Yet, 7 May 2013
G. A. Groves (Wales) - See all my reviews
I purchased this item from Amazons warehouse deals, at a greatly reduced price. After checking it out over the weekend, I pleased to say that no problems have been encountered yet (oil & dust on sensor). Therefore, I happy to give it the thumbs up, by the way the picture quality is excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected too much?, 2 Jan 2013
J. A. Keightley (UK) - See all my reviews
I used to be a pro photographer so I know my way round cameras.
I really wanted to love the D600. I have had a D300 for 4 years and been very happy with it. I decided it was time for an upgrade, only amateur shooting now.
Looked at the D800 but decided against it amongst other things for the very large files.
When the D600 came out, I thought this had to be for me. I bought it in October with the 24-85 kit lens.
Initial impressions were good. Lighter than the D300 and smaller. Ergonomically good. Exposure meter a big improvement. noticeably better dynamic range and fantastic low light capability.
But and this is the big but, on my Apple 27 inch monitor there was very little improvement in detail level when viewed at full screen, approximately 18inches x 12 inches. If you increased magnification to 1:1 then it was possible to see an improvement in detail, but I wouldn't normally view at this magnification unless I needed to examine something very closely.

The next disappointment was the focussing area, transported from the D7000 but on full frame, results in a much smaller area. Not a problem for single point centre focusing but when the dynamic auto tracking is used the subject can quickly leave the focus area.
The lock button added to the mode dial proved to be a pain. Added apparently because of the complaints over the same dial on the D7000 being a little easy to nudge accidentally.

After 3 weeks I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right decision when my camera developed dust marks on the sensor, many people have had this problem.
I decided to return it for a refund.
A couple of weeks later I bought the D7000 body which the D600 is taken from in many ways. I am happy, no lock on the mode dial, same focussing system with sensible focus area, exposure meter gives very similar results to the D600. I don't have to replace 4 DX Nikon lenses with FX. OK, low light performance is not as good but is lot better than the D300.

I think the D600 could have been and maybe will when updated be the perfect entry into full frame but Nikon need to cure the dust problem that many people have complained about and provide a sensible focus area to match the larger sensor and ideally lose the lock button which is not needed on the D7000

Don't get me wrong this is a terrific camera but when moving up from a DX body it is a lot more expensive especially when you add in the considerable cost of replacing most of your lenses. You really want to be wowed by the results and not have niggles about features that may become real nuisances when the honeymoon period wears off.

Finally, if you are like me and getting conscious of the weight you lug around in your camera bag, bear in mind that although the D600 is Nikon's smallest and lightest full frame camera, in the main, FX lenses are considerably larger and heavier than DX lenses. So the weight improvement quickly gets cancelled out.