5.0 out of 5 stars Great
Published on 13 Jan. 2013 by David Chorley

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and lacks functions you would get in other products
I would really expect more from Apple but I have kept buying these devices purely because there is no longer much choice for MP3 players any more and this one is the smallest I can find for the gym. The limited functionality is also a let down. I had a tiny IRiver music device which had every function you could think of, including playing back a selection of tracks...
Published 12 months ago by Mr. J. Mellitas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Jan. 2013
I bought it for my 90 year old Mum for Christmas, she loves Susan Boyle so I downloaded two Susan Boyle albums, purchased through Amazon, onto the little iPod, (and it is little) she loves it! she doesn't have a clue about computers, she has a hard time with the phone, but this little iPod only really has two controls, a very small on off switch and a big button for the music.
So now my dear old Mum with earphones on is dancing to music, it's magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - just does the job with no fuss, 20 Mar. 2013
Amazoniac (Norwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's hard to believe that this teeny gadget can hold so many songs.
It is even smaller than the previous iPod - and yet it holds twice as much stuff! Aint technology wonderful.
I listen to a lot of BBC podcasts because I don't sleep much, and the iPod has been a great companion of mine, in its various sizes, since I bought my very first white "chewing gum packet" sized shuffle so many years ago.
This model is very small, but so simple to operate.
The on/off switch now also doubles as the shuffle control, so slide once for linear playback and twice for shuffle playback.
There is also an optional 'voice over' feature, which tells you information about what you are listening to if you press it. Press it twice and it tells you how much charge the battery currently has.
Charging is easy - just connect the very short cable to a USB port on your computer or connect it to a standard USB charging plug (I use the one that came with my MacBook), although I have also used a generic 'Amazon Basics' charging plug and it worked too.
The playback controls are easy - press the big middle button to start and stop, the top or bottom of the outer button to raise or lower the volume, and the left or right to jump back or forward to the next song.
A long hold on the left or right will also fast forward/reverse within the song.
Add to that a simple clip to fasten it to your clothes/pillowcase/car seat or wherever and a socket for the earphones and you have the lot!
Excellent value for money too at this price and I really like the 'slate' colour option.
5 stars.
I have put a photograph up on the Amazon product page so you can compare the sizes of the old and new iPod, and also see the length of the charging cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars DO THE SHUFFLE, 18 Nov. 2012
This is a great little mp3 player.Holds enough songs for the average person and you can download an app where you press a button and a voice tells you the artist and the track you're listening to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 20 Aug. 2013
Reliable and does the job required of it, you couldn't ask for more could you ? Nice green colour. Average headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mini-gizmo on the market!, 5 Dec. 2012
Summary: The apple of Steve Job's eye and the thorn in Microsoft's flesh. Brilliantly designed and easy to use.

Great things:

1. Tiny and very,very portable. - great for wearing when on the run, and discrete enough to clip it to your shirt at work and for it not to be noticed.
2. Easy to operate
7. Good sound quality
8. Great value for money
9. Reliable
10. Widely available

room for improvement/flaws (?)/something to think about before buying:

1. you will needs proper headphones when on the run without a doubt
2. a little 'holder'/protector with the device would be good
3. The 'box' doesnt hold everything that well, once opened.
4. everything on the functions panel is very 'close together' so can be fiddly to operate on the move (but not at rest) - (but if it wasn't it wouldnt be this small!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Nov. 2012
I brought this for my sister and it's great.
She loves it and well it's Apple.

Basically meaning it's of a sound quality and it will last.

My original iPod from like 6 years ago even still works perfectly.
If you want a simple music player that's really tiny buy this.

It even has a little clip on the back to attach to your jacket or shirt but i wouldn't recommend that just in case it falls off.

The ring does not control volume like the other iPods so don't expect it to, you have to press the up and down button on that ring.

But it's simple and at a decent price and more importantly it will last and not fail after a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little gizmo, 23 Oct. 2012
I bought this as a lightweight ipod thingy for running as my iphone was heavy on the arm when running long distances. I love this little gizmo, it's lightweight, easy to use when on-the-go, the clip is very sturdy and it feels as though it won't fail/fall off. The sound is great too for such a small device. Would definitely recommend to any runner ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 12 May 2014
This is my first Apple iPod so I got nothing to compare it to but I should say that it is everything that I was expecting. Battery life very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit ...liked it so much I bought two!, 3 Nov. 2014
Cannot fault this, and cannot believe you get so much so cheaply. This is the price of about three good CDs! I don't know how easy it is for people who don't have iTunes or a Mac. I have both, so it was incredibly easy to work, once I got the hang of iTunes, how to create playlists, etc. If you don't create playlists on iTunes then transfer them to the iPod, all your tunes will play at random ...which can be very annoying. However, once I figured this out, I was fine. I have one or two niggles relating to the confusing online manual ...which goes into far too much detail and ignores some of the basic things you need to know to get started. But eventually I got there.

This comes with a USB connecting cable (very short, only about an inch worth of cable), a set of earbuds, some very basic instructions and the iPod shuffle itself. The Shuffle is very well designed, with an extremely sturdy clip to attach it to a shirt, or sleeve or whatever. The earbuds are plently long enough to reach from your ears down to the hem of your shirt, so there isn't any pulling while you're wearing it.

I also ordered a set of Earbudi ear clips, which are designed specifically for this product, and keep the earbuds from falling out (which they will certainly do if you move around while wearing them.) They are comfortable to wear and easy to attach to the Earbuds, but I would recommend leaving them in place. I don't think they were meant to remove from the Earbuds once they've been clipped on.

I also ordered a mains charger plug for a few pounds. Well worth it, as it charges the Shuffle quite quickly, and can be done anywhere. My first charge only took just over 2 hours, and that was starting with a fully uncharged battery.

I am not going to downgrade this product because it is SUCH good value, but it would be nice if it came with the Earbudi clips, the mains charger AND a carry case. The plastic box the Shuffle comes in protects it very well during shipping, but once opened it can't be closed again, and isn't suitable to carry.

This product has no screen, so you need to keep track of your playlists, and trawling through them can take some time. There is no fast way to get to the playlist you want, so I would advise you to create as few playlists as possible, and stuff each one with plenty of songs.

However, despite these little niggles, this is a GREAT piece of kit for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb as usual, 17 Sept. 2013
This is just so user friendly, small, lightweight, and just all round Apple fantastic. I find you can save circa 300 songs plus an audio book or two. Easy to separate into playlists and to scroll between them using the buttons.
I bought this for the gym (got sick of thick armbands that were often too small for even average men's arms) and think the clip will do the job perfectly.
Should have a plug adapter for charging away from computer.