5.0 out of 5 stars you want this
this is the best fabric mix for ages just good quality well thought out techno if you love techno and i do more than my dog you really have to buy this in a word bloody fantastick nk maybe two
Published 22 months ago by electrogimp

3.0 out of 5 stars Ben Klock's Fabric mix
I Pre-ordered this edition of the Fabric collection due to it being mixed by Ben Klock, who's own productions and his mixes featured among the CLR podcasts have been really strong. Looking at the tracklist, tunes by Burial, Truncate, Terrance Fixmer and Marcel Dettmann only further confirmed in my mind that is was going to be a winner.

So Pre-order it I did,...
Published 22 months ago by Mr. Bde Wall

3.0 out of 5 stars Ben Klock's Fabric mix, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: fabric 66: Ben Klock (Audio CD)

So Pre-order it I did, but somehow this mix hasn't captured me. The mix contains 24 tracks, with very few lasting much over 2-3 minutes each. The problem is that this isn't long enough for many of the records to really get into full flow, and so it feels like we get the introductory sequence of so many tracks and then move on to something else before it's really got going. Ben Klock stated that he wanted to use this mix to take listeners on a journey, but it feels more of a patchwork, like someone searching through their Ipod, listening to the intros of tunes, looking for something to really capture them and not quite finding it.

The mix isn't dreadful, but it is a little disappointing, at least, for me after several listens attempting to get into it. There's only been one other review on here, and they clearly loved it, so maybe it does communicate well to some. Unfortuneatley it hasn't done it for me yet and I'd definitely recommend Guy Gerber's Fabric released this year, if you want to experience a journey-style mix, over this one. Of course, that mix is prog house whereas this is techno, which may give Guy the advantage, but Ben Klock himself has done much better than this offering to my mind, for example with his Berghain 04 mix. This Fabric, does, however, finish strongly, with it's final three offerings really taking the mood a little deeper and seeing things off well. Alto Novo's 'Monophaser 2' closes the set, which some may know as it begins Agoria's Balance 016 mix, which is a mix which succeeded a little more at what I think Klock's mix here was trying to do.

I'll keep coming back to this Fabric from time to time to see if it'll grow and finally click with me, but it hasn't blown me away like Gerber's Fabric or Cattaneo's Renaissance this year, which I would both strongly recommend to this who like their electronic music with mood and depth.

3/5

5.0 out of 5 stars you want this, 11 Nov 2012
electrogimp (maidstone kent u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: fabric 66: Ben Klock (Audio CD)

fabric 66: Ben Klock
fabric 66: Ben Klock by Ben Klock (Audio CD - 2012)