Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:£14.99+ Free shipping

on 23 November 2013
This is the first webcam I have owned and I bought it on the strength of positive reviews here on Amazon, as well as some video reviews of it on YouTube. It is small and the flexible stand feels a little flimsy, but it works well and the stand is very adaptable to different uses, from on top of your monitor to table top, or anywhere you can stand it or get it to grip on. The camera also can be rotated left and right a fair amount, while the flexi stand holds it in place. It isn't suitable for use anywhere that is subject to a lot of vibration as it is very light and that can also cause a few problems with the USB cable as if moved it will move the camera, but careful setup and placing of the camera will help minimise any problems, a bit of tape or a clip on the stand or cable works well. The camera can also be easily hand held and moved around while in use. The USB cable is more than 1m long, but that can also be extended with a USB extension cable.

Installation on a PC (Win7 64bit) was much like any simple USB hardware, but for full driver and free Microsoft Lifecam software visit the Microsoft website and download the software (no registration required) it only takes a few minutes with a good internet connection. It is fairly easy to install and very easy to use the software, but you may notice that Windows update offers several minor software updates related to background software soon after installation. Without the Lifecam software the picture quality will be limited to 640x480 - with the software you get 1280x720 HD and 4xHD photo capture for still photo snaps. Lifecam is very easy to use so you can set the camera how you want it, low resolution if you have a slower internet connection or HD if you have a faster connection - if you have the resolution too high for your connection speed it will cause the video feed to break up and jump about instead of being smooth. If you want to edit captured video or make mini movies then also get the free Microsoft Windows Essentials package (you can choose which bits you install) the Movie Maker software is what you need for simple video editing and upload or sharing options (it isn't included as a standard with Win 7, like it used to be with XP, but it is much improved over the old XP version).

If you want to capture time lapse or video triggered by movement or sound then you will need other software such as the free software iSpy. iSpy allows you to use a webcam like the HD-3000 to monitor your home from a remote location or be alerted to activity in your home, such as a break-in or pets activity when left alone. The software is totally free and open source (no registration or email required) and they only charge a small monthly subscription for alerts, if you want to use that service. iSpy allows monitoring and recording from multiple web or wi-fi ip cameras, and allows individual settings and triggers for each camera. iSpy is easy to download, but needs fairly careful setup, but a good help guide is included and there many users on the web too. ispyconnect.com

The only limitation of this webcam I have found so far is one that affects all webcams - when using the camera in a constant record mode with any of the software available it appears to be limited to around 2GB file size, which on full resolution is about 2 hours or so. Other than that I am very pleased and impressed with this very reasonably priced webcam - it may take me a while to discover all that I can do with it. I would recommend the HD-3000 for most standard webcam uses and a few non-standard ones too!
77 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2012
The item arrived fast and i am extremely happy with the product. It's packaging looked great and kept the item safe. The webcam itself is great, the quality of the webcam is great and never lags. For the price i paid i am extremely happy and would recommend this webcam to anyone.
on 2 June 2011
Wanted a Web cam for Skype as we have a baby coming soon and the grandparents wants to see the baby everyday. So i ordered 2 of these! One for them and one or me!

So easy to setup, just plugged the USB in and it started working!!! Picture quality really good, video called 2 people so far and both commented the picture was really clear!!

Really happy with my purchase!
on 3 November 2011
I've had a number of webcams the past 7 years and so far this has been the best. Really good video quality, properly adjusts to existing light condition and very easy to operate. Good value for money overall so I would recommend to others.
on 25 May 2013
This came without any installation CD or instructions except for a picture showing it being plugged in to a USB port. That's the new packaging- proper quality Microsoft box, but no drivers or info. And it works fine if you just plug it in- it installs itself as a USB Video device and works in 640x480 resolution.

However, you can go to Microsoft online and download a package of drivers and software which will enhance the abilities of this camera, to give higher resolution and so on. Here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/lifecam-hd-3000 (then select your operating system to get a download link).

Having done that, though, I found the "Lifecam" utility software crashed and stopped the camera working, so I had to uninstall it (on both computers I tried it on). The HD-3000 specific driver remains in place though. I still don't have HD resolution in Skype.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2011
I have never used a computer camera before so the camera and what it came with was all I know. Now for what I do know is when I open the box this camera has a base that can be formed to be position where you like; including on top of a desktop's monitor. The computer is connected to your computer by a USB connection and the software is plug and play. Never having used a Web Cam before this was up and running in no time.

As too quality I have nothing to compare it with but those I spoke with said they could hear me fine, I looked naturally lit and they liked the fact they could see my surroundings or when someone was beside me. Also note I did not make any recordings with it so cannot comment on that portion and this rating is for this product as a video communication device. So for a novice and first time user I can highly recommend this product.
on 8 September 2012
Good quality cam with nice easy software that has lots of funny effects and some good options in the setting menu to tweak the picture the stand is actually bendy so can be made into many shapes and grips the top of a laptop
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 May 2012
I just recently started using Skype and it struck me immediately that I was really enjoying the experience of being able to see my cousin and even her house on my screen. She, on the other hand, seemed slightly uncomfortable looking down at her feet or out the window, obviously bored of staring at my static profile picture. Clearly I needed to get a webcam, and so the search began.

I finally chose this Microsoft LifeCam based on the picture and sound quality evident on some of the YouTube videos that people have kindly posted. This camera seems to handle low-light conditions really well and the quality of both picture and sound is great (it has a built-in microphone). The wide-screen picture format is handy if you decide to use it to shoot video and it offers HD resolution. The software worked instantly on my oldish pc running Vista and it interacts flawlessly with Skype.

The clip can be moulded into a range of shapes; at first I shaped it like a little stand but my cats soon showed me the error of my ways and I found that it sits perfectly well on the top of my LG monitor, despite the fact that the screen has a curved shape. There are many webcams available at many times the cost of this one, but for me it makes no sense to spend more when you can get this quality at a very low price. Really happy with it.
on 23 April 2013
When I first connected the camera, it worked fine with skype. When I made a restart of my PC, however, it asked me to install its software, so I had to disconnect the webcam, let it install its software, and connect the webcam when it would ask me to do so during the installation of its software. But there was no problem. It worked absolutely fine. It has a nice picture unless you do not make quick movements in front of the camera. When you use it with skype, you have to specify through the skype that the webcam' s microphone is the selected option so as others can hear you when you talk to them through skype.
on 2 June 2012
First impressions - nice box but had to destroy it to open it - maybe there is a knack but I couldn't spend more time working it out.

A nice very dainty small and well made camera. As with most of MS's hardware it is well finished and professional looking. Feels solid too.

The Lifecam software however on my PC at least will not work. It cannot detect my camera. Yes went through the gadzillion things to try after searching MS websites - including registry editing etc, several other USB ports etc, still nada.
However "Manycam" software (there is a free version) worked immediately and flawlessly. It found the camera and just worked. Yes black mark to MS there.

In Skype the picture is chopped into 3 slices if I call it directly. However in every other webcam software I tried - perfect.

One tip of you get this issue - if you run manycam (or a similar program I guess) it can provide the lifecam to skype as a virtual camera. I didn't even have to set that up, just choose Manycam virtual cam in Skype video setup - which in turn lets skype work fine. So 2 Microsoft programs can't find or work with their own hardware but everyone else's 3rd party stuff can. Mmm. The 720 mode worked very well on my higher end PC and was lag free at 25fps (with 3rd party software as I say) but just a heads up anyway. BTW I have Windows 7 64 bit.

Just for the record I have nothing to do with Manycam but I am a fan now it actually worked and MS software failed after 3 days of fighting with it :/