4.0 out of 5 stars When We Were Young
Published on 21 Sep 2012 by Mr. 880

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame About the Lull in the Middle
Battleborn is an album that I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from buying; it is well worth a listen, however, as with any three star award winners, duff tracks and album fillers are abound.

Published on 19 Nov 2012 by SamJ

4.0 out of 5 stars When We Were Young, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
There comes a time when you reach a certain age with music and realise that you're not going to jump up and down screaming anymore, asking what the hell was that I just heard on the radio... and where can I get it!? Gone are the days when the first riff of Smells like Teen Spirit turned you to jelly, the opening chords of Teenage Kicks left you feeling dizzy with excitement, and the clanging chimes of Born to Run made you pump your fists in the air with delight. Maybe it's age, maybe it's a rather jaded, cynical outlook we have with the music industry, if not life, these days that turns those of us of a certain generation to more contemplative reactions. So it was that I invested in the new Killers album, took one look at the cover and honestly cringed and laughed out loud all at the same time. People don't commission artists to make record sleeves like this anymore surely... do they? Horses, mountains, open roads, chinks of light beyond the threatening sky. This went out with Meat Loaf didn't it? Boston, Kansas? Any American band named after somewhere?! This can't be good, I thought. And then I started playing the record; and from beginning to end, I had a smile on my face. It was all instantly recognisable, clichéd in places, yes, stretching the bounds of even this band's ironic credibility, certainly.

But then on Runaways I suddenly found my hands holding that imaginary guitar again and powering those chords through "you know this is real babe why you want to fight it?". On Here with Me, was that really my arms in the air moving in time to "spent the summer, laying out in the sun, time went so slow"? Wait a minute, is that the sound of a crescendo building on Miss Atomic Bomb? I AM 18 again, going down to the pub with my mates, basking in the endless summer, listening to "the heart of a girl, seeing the time dripping down the clock, reminding us of a place from where we came."

Of course it's all nonsense, none of it is real. Rock music never has been. I've spent enough time in the United States to know that I've never chased a stallion down an open road on the way to Monument Valley. But I once dreamed of doing it growing up in a small town wondering if I'd ever see what Bruce saw in his songs! And now with Battle Born, The Killers have brought me back to that state of mind and will no doubt do so in the future every time I indulge in this record for forty minutes or so. Now that is what rock music is for! Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars ReviewOfTheReviews, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I like this album. It's not original as such though. My first listens 'frightened me' with sounds of Voyager, Meatloaf, U2, Wilburys, Kate Bush, The Waterboys etc as some others have mentioned. These guys have really swiped (ahem, been influenced by) a number of sounds from other artists. Then I took a deep breath.

This was not the first time the Killers have done this to me. I loved Hot Fuss and Sam's town. When I got Day and Age, I think I threw it across the room after the second listen..I think it may have been the Copacabana(!) sounds of Joyride? It took me a year or two to get over that, then I saw the Albert Hall concert and realised they were still awesome and I actually liked D&A!

So what of this album? The problem is everyone expects to hear a new album the same as the last (or the one they like). In this case everyone wants the edgey Killer sound of old. Well it ain't going to happen, you are only cool for so long. It doesn't mean you a crap, just that you have developed. The old songs are still there, its a case of putting the new songs alongside them and admiring them as a collection of work. The songs of Battle Born take a while to love but then you appreciate the little licks, the lyrics and realise it is good. If they kept playing the same 'song' you would get bored and hate them for that to! You can't write Mr Brightside twice. Songs of that standard just mean the Killers will always be around. The only way you can judge the album is with time. Every great artist has duffers, it doesn't negate them as an artist, you just have to make sure you haven't missed a gem along the way.

As it is, I think this is a strong album. I give it 4 star now after 4 days of constant play. I don't think there is a bad track on it especially, if you can get past the "where have I heard this intro from..." I think a lot of the tracks will sit well with the others when they play live on their upcoming tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
It has quite simply taken the Killers until their 4th studio album to truly fulfil their promise.

After the early promise of Hot Fuss which let's face it was one brilliant EP's worth followed by the potential shown on Sam's Town which was again hit and miss the band retreated into the very patchy Day and Age. While Day and Age doubtless contains Killers classics (Human, Spaceman, Dustland Fairytale) it also contains what should have been singles' b sides at best.

Only now on album 4 do the band finally produce an album which has really great songs from start to finish and is, by a country mile, their best offering to date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame About the Lull in the Middle, 19 Nov 2012
SamJ (Burnaby, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (MP3 Download)

There are numerous tracks in which Flowers sounds strained and bordering on hysterical, and whilst his talent for displaying emotion is apparent, in tracks such as A Matter of Time, it becomes grating. That coupled with some plain silly lyrics (note, Here With Me) makes for a multitude of tracks in the middle section of the album to be distinctly average.

However, it is the occasional funky melody or interesting key change within these tracks that keeps them just about afloat. But it is the final three tracks of the album (particularly Be Still) plus Miss Atomic Bomb, that really give Battleborn a rousing pick-me-up and worthy of fifty minutes of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another album to love., 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Another good rock album from The Killers, I thought Runaways was rather good, Here With Me and especially Miss Atomic Bomb good too but I don't favour ballads over anything usually really. I like grand songs that The Killers do like All These Things That I've Done, Neon Tiger or Bling (Confessions of a King.) The Rising Tide and Flesh and Bone (now my favourite album opener of their's) are the two for me that stand out the most. The album with the ballads and everything else flows nicely as always. Sound great listening from start to finish. Heart of a Girl is beautiful. Prize Fighter on the deluxe edition is similar to Flesh and Bone in the way that it's all big and grand of itself. For me anyway this album except Sam's Town which is one of my favourite, favourite albums that I own, this one is as good as any of their others.

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again!, 23 Mar 2013
K. Cavill "virgo" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (MP3 Download)
Having bought all of the Killers albums and owning Brandon Flower's solo 'Flamingo', I decided it would be wrong not to get this one. It is, in my opinion, up to the band's usual form. I particularly like 'Runaway'. Some may argue that it is more of the same, that the sound on this album is the same sound presented to us in Hot Fuss, and I agree that it does have the band's distinctive sound. But I don't feel that is a bad thing.

So, in short, if you are already a Killers fan, I'd say buy this album. If you love 80s rock, go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SINCE HOT FUSS, 17 Oct 2012
Rodrigo E. Goncalves "Rennes" (Rio de Janeiro Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Without a shadow of a doubt, the best killers album since Hot Fuss! Virtually all the songs can be singles and the influences are easily identified: Springsteen, Queen, The Cars, and in some cases, Joy Division. To do justice, Springsteen would appear with co-author of half these songs. But that does not detract from the merit of the band for having good taste. A real trip back to the 80s. Fun from beginnig to end. Now only remains for me to wait for the coming of the band to Lollapalooza Brazil in march 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Wonderful CD, I've liked the Killers since their early albums and in my opinion (not shared by all) they get better by the year. Track 3 (The Way it Was) is an absolute gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: BATTLE BORN (Audio CD)
I love The Killers. This is a great album. Enough said. No. I loved Sams Town and this seems to be a return to that era. Lyrically brilliant and inspiring. There aren't many bands and albums that touch me but this one does and I have fond memories of how Sams Town did exactly the same. The songs are quite complex of course, not your pop so the album takes probably three listens to really start to appreciate it, but then WOW. Buy it. It's fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and Better, 15 Nov 2012
Mr. Alistair Laidler (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (MP3 Download)
The title of my review sums up this latest album by the Killers, they are getting better. I loved Read My Mind with its classic video too, Boots is brilliant and Human a great song. Those songs are the features of their own albums and rightly so but this latest album has many very good songs. 'The Way It Was', 'Here With Me' and 'Be Still' to name three. If you are a Killers fan this is a definite must, don't miss out on their best album yet.

Battle Born