4.0 out of 5 stars When We Were Young
Published on 21 Sept. 2012 by Mr. 880

3.0 out of 5 stars battle born
Absolutely nothing wrong with the price, or despatch details. It's just that this album, in my opinion, is not the strongest by The Killers
Published 23 months ago by Mr. P. P. Sayer

4.0 out of 5 stars When We Were Young, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
There comes a time when you reach a certain age with music and realise that you're not going to jump up and down screaming anymore, asking what the hell was that I just heard on the radio... and where can I get it!? Gone are the days when the first riff of Smells like Teen Spirit turned you to jelly, the opening chords of Teenage Kicks left you feeling dizzy with excitement, and the clanging chimes of Born to Run made you pump your fists in the air with delight. Maybe it's age, maybe it's a rather jaded, cynical outlook we have with the music industry, if not life, these days that turns those of us of a certain generation to more contemplative reactions. So it was that I invested in the new Killers album, took one look at the cover and honestly cringed and laughed out loud all at the same time. People don't commission artists to make record sleeves like this anymore surely... do they? Horses, mountains, open roads, chinks of light beyond the threatening sky. This went out with Meat Loaf didn't it? Boston, Kansas? Any American band named after somewhere?! This can't be good, I thought. And then I started playing the record; and from beginning to end, I had a smile on my face. It was all instantly recognisable, clichéd in places, yes, stretching the bounds of even this band's ironic credibility, certainly.

But then on Runaways I suddenly found my hands holding that imaginary guitar again and powering those chords through "you know this is real babe why you want to fight it?". On Here with Me, was that really my arms in the air moving in time to "spent the summer, laying out in the sun, time went so slow"? Wait a minute, is that the sound of a crescendo building on Miss Atomic Bomb? I AM 18 again, going down to the pub with my mates, basking in the endless summer, listening to "the heart of a girl, seeing the time dripping down the clock, reminding us of a place from where we came."

Of course it's all nonsense, none of it is real. Rock music never has been. I've spent enough time in the United States to know that I've never chased a stallion down an open road on the way to Monument Valley. But I once dreamed of doing it growing up in a small town wondering if I'd ever see what Bruce saw in his songs! And now with Battle Born, The Killers have brought me back to that state of mind and will no doubt do so in the future every time I indulge in this record for forty minutes or so. Now that is what rock music is for! Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars ReviewOfTheReviews, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I like this album. It's not original as such though. My first listens 'frightened me' with sounds of Voyager, Meatloaf, U2, Wilburys, Kate Bush, The Waterboys etc as some others have mentioned. These guys have really swiped (ahem, been influenced by) a number of sounds from other artists. Then I took a deep breath.

This was not the first time the Killers have done this to me. I loved Hot Fuss and Sam's town. When I got Day and Age, I think I threw it across the room after the second listen..I think it may have been the Copacabana(!) sounds of Joyride? It took me a year or two to get over that, then I saw the Albert Hall concert and realised they were still awesome and I actually liked D&A!

So what of this album? The problem is everyone expects to hear a new album the same as the last (or the one they like). In this case everyone wants the edgey Killer sound of old. Well it ain't going to happen, you are only cool for so long. It doesn't mean you a crap, just that you have developed. The old songs are still there, its a case of putting the new songs alongside them and admiring them as a collection of work. The songs of Battle Born take a while to love but then you appreciate the little licks, the lyrics and realise it is good. If they kept playing the same 'song' you would get bored and hate them for that to! You can't write Mr Brightside twice. Songs of that standard just mean the Killers will always be around. The only way you can judge the album is with time. Every great artist has duffers, it doesn't negate them as an artist, you just have to make sure you haven't missed a gem along the way.

As it is, I think this is a strong album. I give it 4 star now after 4 days of constant play. I don't think there is a bad track on it especially, if you can get past the "where have I heard this intro from..." I think a lot of the tracks will sit well with the others when they play live on their upcoming tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great return to form!, 10 Nov. 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I held out on immediately listening to The Killers' 2012 album 'Battle Born' after being slightly disappointed by their third (although I thought 'Day & Age' was mostly good, but too much filler, and not up to the high standards of the first two), but always intended to buy it. After over a year, I've done it, and as soon as I heard 'Runaways', my immediate thoughts were: 'Welcome Back'!

I admit that I did have to play it a few times over to be able fully appreciate it, but can now safely rate it five stars - it IS a very good album. There is much variety, including fun songs to sing along to (the opening track 'Flesh and Bones' is the 'Human' of this album), epic big songs and brilliant ballads. Brandon Flowers has always written with such emotion, and some of his best lyrics can be found here. I particularly enjoy 'Here With Me', which is a beautiful soft-rock song, which, as well as several others could be used in the soundtrack to a film centering around a hero.

'Battle Born' is very commercial, radio friendly, and a return to the type of quality music that we first heard from the band ten years ago (I can't believe that they have been around for a decade!). Although I don't think it would be considered as 'cool' as 'Hot Fuss', the style is certainly different, it leans more towards soft-rock, but I think it just might be The Killers' best album yet.

'Battle Born' was a pleasant surprise, but I only wish I'd started listening to it sooner. I'm making up for it now though, and if album number five is even the slightest bit like this one, i'll have it on pre-order next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I bought this for my boyfriend and he's extremely satisfied with it. I think this is the worst album of The Killers, but I have nothing bad to say about the package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful songs, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Bought this for myself, really pleased with it, the music lovely, and the words
quite moving. Am a mature lady, but heard this on the radio, had to buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars The Killers - Battle Born, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Really enjoyed this CD and would recommend it to anyone. I keep playing this CD over and over again. It makes me forget everything else that is going on.

3.0 out of 5 stars battle born, 26 April 2013
Mr. P. P. Sayer (BRADFORD, WEST YORKSHIRE Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BATTLE BORN (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle Born, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Great variation of songs with BF.s distinctive voice and good harmonies. Cannot identify a poor track and the best are the first three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Brilliant album, a newish sound from the Killers, but in my opinion, the number 1 of their 4 albums for strength in depth. Not a bad song on the album, and some absolute classics I would rate along side their best stuff.

Big fan of the opening album song 'Flesh & Bones', and absolutely love the first release from the album 'Runaways'. For me this makes their top 5 of any tune they've released. Its difficult to be specific as all the songs are great, but you'll love 'Miss Atomic Bomb', 'The Way it Was' and 'Be Still'.

Love it, Make sure you buy the deluxe version.

Must have for any Killers fan, or anyone who can recognise decent music.

Roll on November and seeing them live in Manchester. Without a doubt the best album I've heard in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
After listening to the first song on this album, "Flesh an Bone," I was nervous, I couldn't predict where the rest of the album would take me barring "Runaways". Predictable is boring, though. Battleborn only got better, from "Runaways," all the way to the final song "Battleborn." This album lives up to its name, with the theme of getting up again and again no matter how many times you're knocked down, recurring in each song. The lyrics of the song "Battleborn," shows this perfectly.
In comparison to the other Killers albums, this certainly didn't disappoint, and will only grow on me. Admittedly, there are no Mr. Brightsides in this album but there are very few bands who can make one, let alone two, so I can't complain about this, because as a whole.
Battleborn is a belter.