5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent return to form!
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars No longer Indie Rock n Roll
Published on 22 Sep 2012 by Grantona

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent return to form!, 10 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I held out on immediately listening to The Killers' 2012 album 'Battle Born' after being slightly disappointed by their third album 'Day & Age' (although I thought it was good, just not up to the high standards of the first two), but always intended to buy it. After over a year, I have finally done so. As soon as I heard 'Runaways', my immediate thoughts were: welcome back!!

I admit that I did have to play it a few times over to fully appreciate it, but can now rate it five stars - it IS a very good album. There is such a variety, including fun songs to sing along to (the opening track 'Flesh and Bones' is the 'Human' of this album), epic big songs and brilliant ballads. Brandon Flowers writes with such emotion, and some of his best lyrics can be found here. Just listen to track four - 'Here With Me' - what a beautiful song! That track, and several others could be used in the soundtrack to a film centering around a hero.

It's very commercial, radio friendly, and a return to the type of quality music that we first heard from the band ten years ago (I can't believe they have been around for a decade!). In fact, I think it just might be their best album yet.

'Battle Born' was a pleasant surprise, but I only wish I'd started listening to it sooner. I'm making up for it now though, and if album number five is even the slightest bit like this one, i'll have it on pre-order next time.

4.0 out of 5 stars When We Were Young, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
There comes a time when you reach a certain age with music and realise that you're not going to jump up and down screaming anymore, asking what the hell was that I just heard on the radio... and where can I get it!? Gone are the days when the first riff of Smells like Teen Spirit turned you to jelly, the opening chords of Teenage Kicks left you feeling dizzy with excitement, and the clanging chimes of Born to Run made you pump your fists in the air with delight. Maybe it's age, maybe it's a rather jaded, cynical outlook we have with the music industry, if not life, these days that turns those of us of a certain generation to more contemplative reactions. So it was that I invested in the new Killers album, took one look at the cover and honestly cringed and laughed out loud all at the same time. People don't commission artists to make record sleeves like this anymore surely... do they? Horses, mountains, open roads, chinks of light beyond the threatening sky. This went out with Meat Loaf didn't it? Boston, Kansas? Any American band named after somewhere?! This can't be good, I thought. And then I started playing the record; and from beginning to end, I had a smile on my face. It was all instantly recognisable, clichéd in places, yes, stretching the bounds of even this band's ironic credibility, certainly.

But then on Runaways I suddenly found my hands holding that imaginary guitar again and powering those chords through "you know this is real babe why you want to fight it?". On Here with Me, was that really my arms in the air moving in time to "spent the summer, laying out in the sun, time went so slow"? Wait a minute, is that the sound of a crescendo building on Miss Atomic Bomb? I AM 18 again, going down to the pub with my mates, basking in the endless summer, listening to "the heart of a girl, seeing the time dripping down the clock, reminding us of a place from where we came."

Of course it's all nonsense, none of it is real. Rock music never has been. I've spent enough time in the United States to know that I've never chased a stallion down an open road on the way to Monument Valley. But I once dreamed of doing it growing up in a small town wondering if I'd ever see what Bruce saw in his songs! And now with Battle Born, The Killers have brought me back to that state of mind and will no doubt do so in the future every time I indulge in this record for forty minutes or so. Now that is what rock music is for! Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
A great addition to my Killers collection. Even the kids prefer it in the car to their normal hip hop and rap.

4.0 out of 5 stars ReviewOfTheReviews, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I like this album. It's not original as such though. My first listens 'frightened me' with sounds of Voyager, Meatloaf, U2, Wilburys, Kate Bush, The Waterboys etc as some others have mentioned. These guys have really swiped (ahem, been influenced by) a number of sounds from other artists. Then I took a deep breath.

This was not the first time the Killers have done this to me. I loved Hot Fuss and Sam's town. When I got Day and Age, I think I threw it across the room after the second listen..I think it may have been the Copacabana(!) sounds of Joyride? It took me a year or two to get over that, then I saw the Albert Hall concert and realised they were still awesome and I actually liked D&A!

So what of this album? The problem is everyone expects to hear a new album the same as the last (or the one they like). In this case everyone wants the edgey Killer sound of old. Well it ain't going to happen, you are only cool for so long. It doesn't mean you a crap, just that you have developed. The old songs are still there, its a case of putting the new songs alongside them and admiring them as a collection of work. The songs of Battle Born take a while to love but then you appreciate the little licks, the lyrics and realise it is good. If they kept playing the same 'song' you would get bored and hate them for that to! You can't write Mr Brightside twice. Songs of that standard just mean the Killers will always be around. The only way you can judge the album is with time. Every great artist has duffers, it doesn't negate them as an artist, you just have to make sure you haven't missed a gem along the way.

As it is, I think this is a strong album. I give it 4 star now after 4 days of constant play. I don't think there is a bad track on it especially, if you can get past the "where have I heard this intro from..." I think a lot of the tracks will sit well with the others when they play live on their upcoming tour.

3.0 out of 5 stars No longer Indie Rock n Roll, 22 Sep 2012
Grantona - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
There were signs on Day and Age that the Killers were going to become a fully fledged commercial pop band and unfortunately this latest offering proves that's what they are today. Being a fan of Hot Fuss and Sams Town I was hoping that the last album was just a blip but Battle Born is more akin to its predecessor than the first two. The killer songs have long gone and replaced with what is best described as an album of power ballads. Flesh and Bones and the only tracks that you could say live up to the standard of songs that the band have previously produced whilst the rest fails to light a real spark. Of the rest I quite like 'Deadlines and Commitments' and 'Be Still' for its uplifting but slightly cheesy chorus but amongst these tracks there needed to be some faster grab your attention attitude tracks. This isn't a bad album which is why ive scored it a 3, but it not what most fans are looking for from the KIllers and I think a lot of the original fans will now leave the band behind in favour of bands that are more energetic and fresher sounding. This album sounds like it could have been produced by 80s band 'The Cars'. Not sure what's next for the KIllers but they'redefinitely not the cool band anymore that they once were. It's a bit strange that a band that has only really been on the scene for 7 years can churn out a slightly washed up sound so quickly. I guess 7 years is a long time in the music industry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank God someone still makes 'em like this, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
I cannot really top some of the impressive reviews of this album, just add my voice to the many who find this a really good singalong, clapalong, stompalong pop/rock offering. Although the musical style is very different, there is something of a Roy Orbison quality to Brandon Flowers' vocals, strong yet fragile, unafraid to reveal its imperfections but above all, instantly recognisable.

There is a real skill to producing original music which you think you've heard before..but haven't. ELO/Jeff Lynne does it, as do the Muse at times. The Killers certainly do. The words are unimportant. The music just lifts you and makes you smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Time, 18 Nov 2013
V. Doherty - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Had to buy it again - many too many plays in a car with shoddy suspension saw the first copy off and I couldn't possibly not have this amazing fantastic cd in my collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
Bought this CD as a gift, no complaints from the recipient so I guess it was really good. Great Quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 24 July 2013
K. Arnold (east yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
This is the best Killers album by far with Brandon Flowers laying his heart on his sleeve for all to see,superb in every way

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
It was a perfect birthday present for my brother as its light weight and not bulky. The price was really competative too.

Battle Born