1,004 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet for the price
I bought the 4gb single core 1.5ghz tablet. because frankly it is the cheapest.
on opening the box I was pleasantly surprised to have recieved a Usb to micro usb male to male cable
as well as the micro usb to micro usb female to male converter, as the specs say that you only get the latter.
You also get a uk charger.

When I tried to switch it on...
Published 20 months ago by Gillian Barber

Tablets are fine for the price but missing some important details in the packaging.

Published 2 months ago by AndyP

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet for the price, 17 July 2013
This review is from: 7" inch Touch Screen A13 1.0GHz CPU Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi (White) (Personal Computers)
I bought the 4gb single core 1.5ghz tablet. because frankly it is the cheapest.
You also get a uk charger.

When I tried to switch it on at first nothing happened, however after plugging in the charger
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you can use the tablet whilst it is charging,
however DO NOT keep the charger plugged in once the tablet has charged up as this will over
heat the battery.
Starting up takes aproximately 50 seconds, which may seem long to people who use modern
devices, but if you are as old as me, it takes you back to when you had laptops of similar
specs which had a worse start up times, I could make a coffee and my old laptop was still
just starting up.. :)
If you want a machine that is high powered and will play all the high end 3d graphics games,
then you are going to be dissapointed and you should spend the stupid amounts of money that
other manufacturers have out there. I have found tho that it will play quite a lot of 3D games,
and the graphic handling is quite good, some games will even allow you to turn down the performance
so you can play the game, this is trial and error tho.
But if you want a basic tablet that will do nearly everything you want it to do then this
is the tablet for you, as it is for me.

The specs are not the best out there, but they are adequate.
512mb of memory
1.5ghz cpu
4gb internal storage altho there are higher gb versions 8gb and 16gb. more expensive of course..
android ICS
front facing camera
microphone
single speaker
headphone jack
micro usb slot
micro sd card slot
3g support, using a dongle

A little bit of a let down was the fact that the Android OS was 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich,
because according to the amazon profile of Tablets Direct. they were putting in 4.1.0 Jelly Bean.

ICS is a very good OS tho and will take all the apps that are currently available, some games however
are not compatible.
Setting up the wifi is very easy goto the settings app and it's at the top, click it on and then it will
search for your router, then all you have to do is put in the key/ password of your router and that is it.
If you are not going to be using your wifi connection then turn it off and it will give you more life out
of your battery.
It is supposed to find wifi hotspots, but I haven't tested that yet.

The apps suplied are very good and will help you get started, the built in video player is extremely
good and has played everything I have thrown at it flv, mkv, avi files etc play perfectly and very smoothly,
same goes for the music player, so there is no need to download an app that does these jobs, unless you
want suphisticated software, which I think is a waste of time and will just take up your limited storage.

it comes complete with the standard apps like a browser and google mail, google play etc.
The browser it comes with is a little basic and some pages like youtube are a pain to use,
so I would recomend you download google chrome for android or another more sophisticated browser.

it is quite a fast little tablet the swipe on the screens is very smooth and it is multi fingered.
try not to have to many apps running at once as it doesn't multi task very well, but i'm not one
of those people that like to have to many things going at once..

I bought this because I needed a new ereader, so why didn't I buy an ereader then??
consider this, you want a Kindle ereader or other ereader, ok buy this tablet download the FREE kindle app and
now look, you have a tablet that does everything that the kindle does and more, kindle does not read epub books,
so all you need is another ereader app and you have the best of both at a fraction of the cost.

I also bought a case for it that has a keyboard which works great, so I can do some of my correspondance easily,
the on-screen keyboard does work fairly well, tho it does obscure the browser etc when you are trying to input
information.

Pros and Cons.
--------------

Pros...

It is a cheap basic tablet that will suit almost every use you can thro at it.

It has a good selection of apps to get you started.

It is very sturdy and surprisingly well made, I know I dropped it :)

You can charge it with either the charger or the usb cable connected to a computer / laptop makes sure the PC is turned on tho,
if the tablet is turned off it will charge faster..

the speaker is surprisingly good.

if you are very good at doing work on the internal software, it is rooted, so you can change a lot of the internal settings and update it without the usual silly moans you get from other manufacturers, however be very careful as it will invalidate your warranty if you mess things up. I won't be doing anything like this without first contacting direct tablets.

Cons...

Battery life is not great, but if you conserve your battery by turning off features that you don't need, like the wifi when your not using it, it does improve. also on stand-by it doesn't seem to use your battery at all. Altho I would recommend you shut it down completely when not using it.

camera is low res and only has a front facing one. but it is adequate for Skype.

internal memory is very limited as the OS is taken up with most of it, so buy a micro sd card as soon as you can, max 32gb

the volume controls on the side of the tablet do work, but are useless as it has controls in the OS on the home screen. they could have used the space in the hardware for something else.

the micro usb is to close to the power socket and there is loads of space to move it.

Overall I really like this tablet it is a good basic machine, suitable for children and adults who are starting out with
tablet pc's, if you are expecting performance like a samsung galaxy tablet or a certain fruit based company's over priced ipad, then you will be dissapointed and frankly your also an idiot. it is a fraction of the price, so it doesn't matter to much if it stops working in a few years. Just buy another one..

So don't buy an ereader buy this and you will have an ereader, a PC, an mp3 player, a video player and a reasonably good games console..
Frankly it is awesome and I would recommend anyone to buy one, tho I would recommend buying one with more storage space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better that carrying my heavy laptop to uni!, 31 Mar. 2013
I bought this tablet because it was cheap and cute! Admittedly I came close to canceling the order after all the mixed reviews but i'm glad i didn't! I use it fairly often and chuck it in my bag before my lectures at uni, i can view powerpoints (kingsoft office app, download it, its perfect!) and sometimes i even record lectures even though the microphone isn't brilliant. I bought a keyboard case for it (a protective case with a keyboard connecting via usb) which made writing essays easy, I'm not to keen on touch screen keyboards in general. So as far as academic use it really does the job although I use my laptop when I'm at home.

Now as far as leisure goes, it holds up just as well. I watch videos on youtube, sometimes with headphones and sometimes without, (I recommend going on youtube through the 'opera mini' web browser which can be downloaded at the playstore). I play games, check my emails and i've even skyped! (the video call did freeze at times).

But i do have some words of advice to get round the limitations of this tablet and frequent problems,

1) Use a charger that connects to the tablet's micro usb port (the rectangle hole :P, blackberry phone chargers do this, as do HTC and a few others,I've linked one you can buy on amazon for £2.99!Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger) The charger and the designated port that comes with it is very poor but with the alternative port it's much better! Even still, the micro usb port has started being less reliable recently, I now have to slot a mini-highlighter pen between the charger and the case to get it to charge, i think this maintains a better angle for the charger but isn't convenient! I really should take off another star for it but it still works... and it's so cute!

2) Battery life lasts around 2.5 hours which isn't great. Make sure you are shutting the tablet down completely and not just putting it on sleep mode, this requires holding the off button down for 2-3 seconds. Also the tablet will not recharge properly if you are using it while it charges, you need to shut it down and then charge,(suppose it'll stop children from playing on it for 10 hours straight!) Turning the brightness down on the screen helps, and download the 'juice defender' app which supposedly enhances battery life. Additionally I carry the charger with me just in case, I have been known to charge my tablet during the day.

3) This tablet is quite flimsy, buy a protective case! I can throw mine in my handbag without a worry because of the case. I bought this one: Sanlise(TM) 7" INCH Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Faux Leather Carrying Case (Purple) Also using a stylus with a round rubber tip may be a good idea although I don't bother.

4) Problems with the PlayStore have been mentioned. I have heard that creating a brand new google account is required, I did this anyway as I wanted a separate email account for the tablet.

In summary, it's great for people on the go, it has a few limitations but I don't regret buying mine. No one would guess what a bargain it is. However its not without limitations like I have listed, so if you're not on a budget, maybe invest in something a little more reliable!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Jan. 2014
i got this for my son at xmasit was shipped quickly and its a great gadget.
so many apps that u can get on it its great

5.0 out of 5 stars Total value for money, 21 May 2013
While it will probably not compete with ipad etc., this little tablet will do everything that is asked of it. It took me 2 mins to connect the wi fi, and not only am i attached to in house network, I I also have hot spot accessibility. I am impressed with the quality, as it will compete with instruments double if not three times its value. I would advise the purchase of the leather keyboard case, but everything else is supplied. Delivery was quick and efficient, mine took only four days. If you are going to buy a tablet, why spend hundreds when this will do,... oh yes..., unlike the Chrome net-book, the tablet is Skype friendly, and also comes with a pleasant array of essential apps. The battery charger is now UK friendly. The £40.00 layout is really incidental when you think of what you are getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 22 Oct. 2012
This product is brilliant. Bought it for my 12 year old for christmas, and i want to keep it for me now! Great product, easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing for the chips you pay, 11 Nov. 2012
well what can i say i payed £45 for the product £5 delivery and £7.50 for import vat (which was refunded) it took 7 days to arrive from china thats fast

the product its self is very surprising ics 4.0 its very snappy with a good task manager out of the box it has screen protector on and there is a spare brill :)
the only thing that is a little disappointing is the usb adapter it comes with doesn't work so i have ordered a new one for pennys (i need it for the keyboard case i have ordered.

i dont tend to write about the seller on a review because i give them a review on it own but there reply were super fast normally within the hour and they are so helpful
i dont know what else to say but the fact that im gobsmacked at how exellent this tablet preforms but please if you have any questions i will personal try and answer them for you :P

happy shopping amazoners :):)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery and the tablets are just perfect I bought 3 with the keyboard built in leather ..., 28 Feb. 2015
MALIK (birmingham,united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Quick delivery and the tablets are just perfect I bought 3 with the keyboard built in leather case goes with them perfectly saves being damaged or broken they work fine lots of games and apps to download my kids love them keeps them off my iPad,for the price you can't go wrong after reading the reviews I was I bit worried as I ordered 3 but my kids just play games and use you tube it's perfect for that not for downloading big files memory's quite small but has a memory card slot you can always add more memory they downloaded about 15 games and it's working fine.hope this has help now my 12 year old wants 1 lol

3.0 out of 5 stars Tablets are fine for the price but missing some important details in ..., 4 Jan. 2015

> Charging: the battery power sucks and the supplied chargers are terrible, I bought 3 units for my kids and 2 of the supplied chargers broke within 2 weeks, at best they are flimsy at worst dangerous. On the plus side the tablets can be charged with a mini usb connector [not supplied but what most mobile phones, tablets, kindles etc.. use these days] so in terms of powering the tablets I would just throw the supplied chargers and use the usb slots to charge them.

> Copying files: I couldn't find any compatible drivers so when I plugged the tablets into another machine to try and copy across some files the tablet was not recognized. So you have no drag and drop option to shift files around. The tablets do have a mini sd card slot on the back so you can increase the meagre storage significantly [upto 512 GB] by adding a card in this slot. If you have a laptop or desktop and you would like to transfer files from either of these machines to the tablet you just need a standard sd card with a micro sd slot, you can pick these up very cheaply.

> Reseating the case if dropped: They don't have fantastic build quality so if dropped the case will probably come loose. As the usb slot and power button are also loose, they may shift position and need to be reseated before the case is clipped back into place. Make sure they are positioned correctly before refastening the case or the buttons/slots will not function correctly.

I hope this helps anyone who has made or is considering a purchase, for the price they are good but the instructions are quite vague.

Regards,

Andy

3.0 out of 5 stars a xmas gift, 29 Dec. 2014
Bought this for my wife as an entry level tablet, so i knew that for the purchase price i wasnt getting the best one around. Some of the edges of the plastic seem a little sharp, tho thats been cured by placing it in a case. The charger supplied with the tablet has stopped working after charging it to 52%!, tho you can charge through the usb type port on it. And finally the memory is pretty dire tho a memory card can be purchased and inserted. So again, not the best but not the worst either!

3.0 out of 5 stars Chinese tablet, 20 Jan. 2014
M. Fenwick "bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
For the money (I paid £38 inc P&P) it's absolutely great. You can get most apps you need, facebook, twitter etc, news, weather, but I'm disappointed with the short time (approx 1 hour)that it runs without being pugged in. But its ok for me as I just use it at home. Some people report the tablet arriving with the screen cracked or completely broken but mine was OK, and has only cracked slightly right at the corner because I dropped it!
For a child or someone who doesn't want to pay top money for a top brand such as apple or samsung, it's great and I would recommend it as a first tablet to anyone who isn't sure how much they'd use one, before splashing out on a bigger or more expensive tablet.