4.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet for the price
I bought the 4gb single core 1.5ghz tablet. because frankly it is the cheapest.
on opening the box I was pleasantly surprised to have recieved a Usb to micro usb male to male cable
as well as the micro usb to micro usb female to male converter, as the specs say that you only get the latter.
You also get a uk charger.

When I tried to switch it on...
Published 14 months ago by Gillian Barber

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality buggy plasticy device
Published 13 months ago by Chris

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet for the price, 17 July 2013
This review is from: 7" inch Touch Screen A13 1.0GHz CPU Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi (White) (Personal Computers)
I bought the 4gb single core 1.5ghz tablet. because frankly it is the cheapest.
You also get a uk charger.

When I tried to switch it on at first nothing happened, however after plugging in the charger
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you can use the tablet whilst it is charging,
however DO NOT keep the charger plugged in once the tablet has charged up as this will over
heat the battery.
Starting up takes aproximately 50 seconds, which may seem long to people who use modern
devices, but if you are as old as me, it takes you back to when you had laptops of similar
specs which had a worse start up times, I could make a coffee and my old laptop was still
just starting up.. :)
If you want a machine that is high powered and will play all the high end 3d graphics games,
then you are going to be dissapointed and you should spend the stupid amounts of money that
other manufacturers have out there. I have found tho that it will play quite a lot of 3D games,
and the graphic handling is quite good, some games will even allow you to turn down the performance
so you can play the game, this is trial and error tho.
But if you want a basic tablet that will do nearly everything you want it to do then this
is the tablet for you, as it is for me.

The specs are not the best out there, but they are adequate.
512mb of memory
1.5ghz cpu
4gb internal storage altho there are higher gb versions 8gb and 16gb. more expensive of course..
android ICS
front facing camera
microphone
single speaker
headphone jack
micro usb slot
micro sd card slot
3g support, using a dongle

A little bit of a let down was the fact that the Android OS was 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich,
because according to the amazon profile of Tablets Direct. they were putting in 4.1.0 Jelly Bean.

ICS is a very good OS tho and will take all the apps that are currently available, some games however
are not compatible.
Setting up the wifi is very easy goto the settings app and it's at the top, click it on and then it will
search for your router, then all you have to do is put in the key/ password of your router and that is it.
If you are not going to be using your wifi connection then turn it off and it will give you more life out
of your battery.
It is supposed to find wifi hotspots, but I haven't tested that yet.

The apps suplied are very good and will help you get started, the built in video player is extremely
good and has played everything I have thrown at it flv, mkv, avi files etc play perfectly and very smoothly,
same goes for the music player, so there is no need to download an app that does these jobs, unless you
want suphisticated software, which I think is a waste of time and will just take up your limited storage.

it comes complete with the standard apps like a browser and google mail, google play etc.
The browser it comes with is a little basic and some pages like youtube are a pain to use,
so I would recomend you download google chrome for android or another more sophisticated browser.

it is quite a fast little tablet the swipe on the screens is very smooth and it is multi fingered.
try not to have to many apps running at once as it doesn't multi task very well, but i'm not one
of those people that like to have to many things going at once..

I bought this because I needed a new ereader, so why didn't I buy an ereader then??
consider this, you want a Kindle ereader or other ereader, ok buy this tablet download the FREE kindle app and
now look, you have a tablet that does everything that the kindle does and more, kindle does not read epub books,
so all you need is another ereader app and you have the best of both at a fraction of the cost.

I also bought a case for it that has a keyboard which works great, so I can do some of my correspondance easily,
the on-screen keyboard does work fairly well, tho it does obscure the browser etc when you are trying to input
information.

Pros and Cons.
--------------

Pros...

It is a cheap basic tablet that will suit almost every use you can thro at it.

It has a good selection of apps to get you started.

It is very sturdy and surprisingly well made, I know I dropped it :)

You can charge it with either the charger or the usb cable connected to a computer / laptop makes sure the PC is turned on tho,
if the tablet is turned off it will charge faster..

the speaker is surprisingly good.

if you are very good at doing work on the internal software, it is rooted, so you can change a lot of the internal settings and update it without the usual silly moans you get from other manufacturers, however be very careful as it will invalidate your warranty if you mess things up. I won't be doing anything like this without first contacting direct tablets.

Cons...

Battery life is not great, but if you conserve your battery by turning off features that you don't need, like the wifi when your not using it, it does improve. also on stand-by it doesn't seem to use your battery at all. Altho I would recommend you shut it down completely when not using it.

camera is low res and only has a front facing one. but it is adequate for Skype.

internal memory is very limited as the OS is taken up with most of it, so buy a micro sd card as soon as you can, max 32gb

the volume controls on the side of the tablet do work, but are useless as it has controls in the OS on the home screen. they could have used the space in the hardware for something else.

the micro usb is to close to the power socket and there is loads of space to move it.

Overall I really like this tablet it is a good basic machine, suitable for children and adults who are starting out with
tablet pc's, if you are expecting performance like a samsung galaxy tablet or a certain fruit based company's over priced ipad, then you will be dissapointed and frankly your also an idiot. it is a fraction of the price, so it doesn't matter to much if it stops working in a few years. Just buy another one..

So don't buy an ereader buy this and you will have an ereader, a PC, an mp3 player, a video player and a reasonably good games console..
Frankly it is awesome and I would recommend anyone to buy one, tho I would recommend buying one with more storage space.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Jan 2014
i got this for my son at xmasit was shipped quickly and its a great gadget.
so many apps that u can get on it its great

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better that carrying my heavy laptop to uni!, 31 Mar 2013
I bought this tablet because it was cheap and cute! Admittedly I came close to canceling the order after all the mixed reviews but i'm glad i didn't! I use it fairly often and chuck it in my bag before my lectures at uni, i can view powerpoints (kingsoft office app, download it, its perfect!) and sometimes i even record lectures even though the microphone isn't brilliant. I bought a keyboard case for it (a protective case with a keyboard connecting via usb) which made writing essays easy, I'm not to keen on touch screen keyboards in general. So as far as academic use it really does the job although I use my laptop when I'm at home.

Now as far as leisure goes, it holds up just as well. I watch videos on youtube, sometimes with headphones and sometimes without, (I recommend going on youtube through the 'opera mini' web browser which can be downloaded at the playstore). I play games, check my emails and i've even skyped! (the video call did freeze at times).

But i do have some words of advice to get round the limitations of this tablet and frequent problems,

1) Use a charger that connects to the tablet's micro usb port (the rectangle hole :P, blackberry phone chargers do this, as do HTC and a few others,I've linked one you can buy on amazon for £2.99!Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger) The charger and the designated port that comes with it is very poor but with the alternative port it's much better! Even still, the micro usb port has started being less reliable recently, I now have to slot a mini-highlighter pen between the charger and the case to get it to charge, i think this maintains a better angle for the charger but isn't convenient! I really should take off another star for it but it still works... and it's so cute!

2) Battery life lasts around 2.5 hours which isn't great. Make sure you are shutting the tablet down completely and not just putting it on sleep mode, this requires holding the off button down for 2-3 seconds. Also the tablet will not recharge properly if you are using it while it charges, you need to shut it down and then charge,(suppose it'll stop children from playing on it for 10 hours straight!) Turning the brightness down on the screen helps, and download the 'juice defender' app which supposedly enhances battery life. Additionally I carry the charger with me just in case, I have been known to charge my tablet during the day.

3) This tablet is quite flimsy, buy a protective case! I can throw mine in my handbag without a worry because of the case. I bought this one: Sanlise(TM) 7" INCH Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Faux Leather Carrying Case (Purple) Also using a stylus with a round rubber tip may be a good idea although I don't bother.

4) Problems with the PlayStore have been mentioned. I have heard that creating a brand new google account is required, I did this anyway as I wanted a separate email account for the tablet.

In summary, it's great for people on the go, it has a few limitations but I don't regret buying mine. No one would guess what a bargain it is. However its not without limitations like I have listed, so if you're not on a budget, maybe invest in something a little more reliable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Total value for money, 21 May 2013
While it will probably not compete with ipad etc., this little tablet will do everything that is asked of it. It took me 2 mins to connect the wi fi, and not only am i attached to in house network, I I also have hot spot accessibility. I am impressed with the quality, as it will compete with instruments double if not three times its value. I would advise the purchase of the leather keyboard case, but everything else is supplied. Delivery was quick and efficient, mine took only four days. If you are going to buy a tablet, why spend hundreds when this will do,... oh yes..., unlike the Chrome net-book, the tablet is Skype friendly, and also comes with a pleasant array of essential apps. The battery charger is now UK friendly. The £40.00 layout is really incidental when you think of what you are getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars best value for money!!!, 15 Aug 2014
I really don't know why this product has had bad reviews, I baught a archos tablet that was $250 and this tablet is better than that, it is fast but not as fast as a ipad. People really annoy me in saying this product is not very good but you can't pay $30 and expect apple quality. Netflix and bbci player work fine, although YouTube has trouble loading, Facebook messenger and Snapchat work really good on here, google play is really good at installing apps on the tablet to, I did have to download a gallery and music app as they didn't come installed. The viewing angle is very good but only if your looking at the screen directly. Sound is very good quality and very loud, has no Bluetooth but a headphone jack wich is just as good. It does feel cheap and plasticy but overall its a good by, not much memory so I suggest buying a SD card, 16gb is only about $10 so its a bargain, battery life is good, I am cabin crew and take the tablet on many trips and normally survives about 9 hours of standby also good battery to watch movies as i v had quite a lot of delays last week, pretty robust to as its been chucked around a lot on board. I think this is a very good product the bad reviews are either from tablets that have been faulty or high expectators. If your unsure there's many videos and reviews of this tablet on youtube. Overall I'm really happy with it :) I also wrote this review using this tablet :)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 22 Oct 2012
This product is brilliant. Bought it for my 12 year old for christmas, and i want to keep it for me now! Great product, easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing for the chips you pay, 11 Nov 2012
well what can i say i payed £45 for the product £5 delivery and £7.50 for import vat (which was refunded) it took 7 days to arrive from china thats fast

the product its self is very surprising ics 4.0 its very snappy with a good task manager out of the box it has screen protector on and there is a spare brill :)
the only thing that is a little disappointing is the usb adapter it comes with doesn't work so i have ordered a new one for pennys (i need it for the keyboard case i have ordered.

i dont tend to write about the seller on a review because i give them a review on it own but there reply were super fast normally within the hour and they are so helpful
i dont know what else to say but the fact that im gobsmacked at how exellent this tablet preforms but please if you have any questions i will personal try and answer them for you :P

happy shopping amazoners :):)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality buggy plasticy device, 9 Aug 2013
I bought this with not a lot of expectations (though the reviews seemed mostly positive) and to use for web browsing and facebook, twitter etc. When I recieved it the box (a month after ordering as it comes from China) was badly bashed in on one side but the product inside seemed undamaged. The device is made with thin plastic and very cheap build qulaity all round (the light from the screen shines through the white plastic border for example). The mains adaptor that I was provided didn't fit the plug very well and after about an hours use in the device it started emitting a very strange smell, on closer inspection it was leaking a strange brown substance so I stopped using immediately. When I had the power adaptor plugged into the device it would make the screen go haywire and would start selecting lots of settings and changing things like I was pressing it (which I wasn't) and it wouldn't stop unless I unplugged it.

I then used the USB mini jack adaptor which stopped the screen going haywire but the tablet was just slow, unresponsive and just not fit for purpose at all. Managed to download Facebook app worked a couple of times but then just kept freezing after this and couldn't really use it. Tried a factory reset but that didn't help either.

I've now requested a full refund under the distance selling act as I have had it only 1 day.

Edit: 16/09/2013. I've now received a partial refund but has withheld the postage and return postage for the item which was nearly £10. I've tried emailing but it seems that my emails are being ignored. I have now raised this with Amazon directly. Very very poor customer service and extremely difficult to get a full refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for light users, 17 Jun 2014
Handles ebooks and online reading apps well. Plays with Google play nicely. Got it to help my daughter with special needs study, and it has really helped her. It's not a heavy duty tablet by any means, but not everyone needs a lot of features. Since I use this for my daughter's education, I rather like the fact it doesn't do sophisticated apps well. (keeps her from mucking about.)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you struggle to download, 25 Dec 2012
L. V. Reeves "Lolly pop" (Essex) - See all my reviews
Hi there, if you are struggling to download apps then please do this. I was getting frustrated and some ones earlier post said to do this. I hope it helps.
but I did this and it worked, let me know how you get on! : We had the same problem for over a week so we rang the supplier who said some of the tablets are set different... He told us to go into settings.. Go down to apps... Press on it....Along the top u need to press all ... Then go down to google services frame work clear the data... Then go in to the google play store (2 above it ) and clear the data from there aswell... Turn device off and on again.... And try google play again, its worked for both our tablets we've had no problems downloading apps from google play since .... Hope this helps xx