This is a saddle or bridge type planter which means it can sit across a balcony/decking handrail or across the top of a fence. Although this is a saddle type it can of course just be sat on the floor/ground/decking if you want.

This review will span a period of months as I will upload this review today (with pics of the empty planter) and update it with pictures as and when the planters are filled and in full bloom. I'm not quite sure what I will grow in them yet!

The build quality of these planters is brilliant. They feel solid and very robust being made from recycled durable tough plastic. These are not thin cheap feeling plastic, they're pretty thick and according to the manufacturer colourfast too. So the colours won't fade for many years to come I imagine/hope. The feet clip off in order to let them drain off if need be. The feet also act as little drip trays meaning that any excess water collected in these can be reabsorbed back into the roots

The dimensions of the large planters (in Lime Green and Grey) I received are 11.5 inches wide x 12 inches high. I'd say it looks like you'll need 3 to 4 litres of compost to fill one.

The 'stepped' design of the 'saddle' section underneath is spot on and allows the planter to sit firmly over your balcony handrail or fence of widths from 2 to 4 inches without fear of it falling off (when filled), even in windy conditions (see my pic upload in the product pics to see what I mean!). With the weight of the compost and even heavier again after watering this planter is firmly seated in place.

Although this is designed to just sit across your rail/fence, you could easily drill two small holes in it, in order to secretly attach it with a zip tie or two to stop theft!

This is a big planter and there is plenty of room for roots to grow healthy and strong in here and plenty of space to put a good show on too! I imagine this to weigh around 8-10kgs when full and watered so I would plant up and fit onto your rail/fence before watering if possible.

I like these planters and at this time of writing 10 five star reviews from 11 can't be bad! I just hope we have a good summer :) I will update this review when the planter is in bloom.

This planter was kindly sent to me for review purposes by the seller.

Recommended.
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2014
Searched high and low for this design style of railing basket. The build quality is great and the finish has made our balcony very sophisticated. We have a railing wider than 10cm and the xl design is extremely stable when mounted even without soil and water being added. It has withstood the highest winds experienced in the recent bad weather. Extremely impressed by this product, will probably order some more in a different colour to compliment our current 2
on 29 October 2012
We first saw this product while we were in Sydney and thought this would be an ideal planter for my mother's balcony. When we returned home, we found the product on sale and bought it. The planter has been used on my mother's balcony during this summer. Despite the harshness of the weather, the planters have stood up to it all. They have been admired many times by passers by as the bright colour ensures that they stand out.
on 29 October 2012
A perfect way to decorate your balconies, I wanted something safe and child friendly and this fitted the bill perfectly
on 31 October 2012
I was looking for a nice balcony flower pod and found what I wanted. IT is what I was expecting and I love how it looks and it is good quality. Thank you
on 17 November 2013
Love these planters by Greenbo. We don't have a balcony, just a 'french balcony' ie railing but these planters stillvmake our flat feel like a small green haven.
on 19 April 2015
We had two prior to buying a third on our penthouse roof terrace. It is a fabulous product and withstood the terrible winter in London in 2014. we bought this again from the same supplier and it arrived quickly and undamaged. A beautiful container and really stands out.
on 5 October 2012
I purchased the XL Greenbo planter in black. I am very pleased with these large balcony planters. They sit securely over the balcony top rail and are large enough for a selection of plants that provide a good display. I was worried they may look a bit flimsy, I needn't have worried as they are substantial, they look attractive on the wooden rail but would also look good on a contemporary, metal balcony.
on 29 May 2013
Fits perfectly on rail, looks good, larger than I thought, good colours, good design, will last forever, would buy more!
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2015
I thought the pots were made of a more flexible material, unfortunately they don't fit to the wall. The colour of the pot though is as pretty as on the picture!
I requested sending them back, and they came back to me offering collection and refund.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse