on 6 October 2013
Don't just take my word for it, see the 10 pages of complaints on the HP Support Forum.

I've had two of these 7520's and both have the same fault. The HP forum shows this problem going on for a year.

The printer is fine for turning on and printing pictures and documents, but don't expect to be able to leave it on for sending and receiving faxes or using the ePrint facility or print from another computer your network. This is because the printer has a problem waking up from sleep mode, which cannot be disabled. On receiving a fax or print job after the machine has been switch on for a couple of hours it will stall and display "Printer error, there is a problem with the printer. Switch the printer off, then on".

And then it happens all over again.

I and many other customers who purchased this machine have spoken to HP support, all of which has been a waste of time. One forum member says HP in Germany and the US cannot find a solution for the problem and have no idea of the root cause.

Shame because I have always had HP printers, and wanted this one because it would combine all my older machines in one. A printer for photos, documents in black and white and colour, a scanner with auto feed and a fax machine. And as the printer uses HP 364 cartridges which are not to expensive I thought I was on to a winner.

Most HP forum members sent there HP Photosmart 7520 machine's back for a HP Officejet printer 8600, but the cartridges for that machine are twice the price of the HP364's.

So for me I have gone for a Epson work force, I was going to lose the special photo paper tray anyway by purchasing the HP Officejet, as it isn't a Photosmart printer.

From a very disappointed former fan of Hewlett Packard Printers.
66 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2012
Good value for money arrived in 2days standard delivery. A little heavy on ink in the first month of use but has been used every day. May consider compatiable inks, photo's prints very good. Small problem the print setting A4 keeps reverting to default and will not stay on A4. Duplex printing option saves me a lot of paper and works well. Good all rounder.
22 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2014
This was a replacement for a faulty printer that was delivered 2 days ago. Amazon quickly sent this replacement ( 1 day) but the problem lies with HP NOT Amazon. Both printers set up ok and were fine until you turned them off - they would not then turn back on ( the green power on light would flash after about 5 seconds and then go out -). After contacting HP directly and going through many checks and upgrades, they agreed there was a problem and sent a replacement printer direct. They also sent another BUT different style power pack ( where I think the problem lay) and it all works!
If you buy one of these and it has the same problem please go to HP help and use the live chat facility to contact them
on 1 April 2014
I have downgraded this review to two stars because every single time I have tried to print something in the past couple of weeks, or scan something, the printer doesn't do it because it has fallen off the network again, and has to be rebooted to make it work. A network printer that requires manual intervention every time you want to use it is pretty useless.

It produces great colour prints when it's in a good mood, but if you don't use it for literally a couple of weeks the cartridges go all streaky and have to be replaced. And it drops off the network for no reason, constantly. It looks good, and the scanner and photocopy work well when it will deign to talk to the network, but I am disappointed. I can't be the only person who only needs to print things out occasionally. And the unreliable cartridges are expensive, and don't hold much ink. And why is it a good idea to have two different kinds of black ink, both required for it to work properly, but only one of which is included in the standard multi-pack? <facepalm>

Poor effort Hewlett-Packard, how on Earth did this get through testing?
on 14 May 2013
Have had the printer for a few weeks now and getting used to the functionality. The print quality is very high even when printing a colour image on to plain paper rather than photo paper...and the ability to print on both sides is a welcome change for me especially with college notes. The printer was straightforward to set up - I have a Mac so was expecting something to go awry but everything was very coherent. I had the HP website up on the pc when i was going through set up, just in case, and their advice is also very useful.
The ability to print wirelessly is fantastic and I've also been able to use the print functionality from an iPad with no set up needed - the iPad just found it for me.....the printer is left on standby all the time and despite other reviews, I have suffered no issues with printing - the print queue is sent to the printer and wakes it up so it's printed when I pop upstairs to my office. Perhaps this is a set up issue with some users or poor router performance?
The copy function also produces good copies so very pleased....I haven't tried the fax as I have no current need but I'm impressed with the rest of the machine and can't see that is would be any different. As with all the printer companies, the price is recouped on ink but I can see there are matching recycled refills available should you want to go down that route as I may well do.
The build of the printer is solid and seems robust - maybe a little larger than something like the canon printer types but for the functionality I think it is well designed and it isn't so big you can't fit it on a desk.
So far so good...my previous printer, a photosmart 8250 is still going strong albeit a little problematic with paper feed now so I hope this one has the same longevity.
on 24 November 2013
I have had this printer for about 4 months now and have re-started, re-booted, uninstalled and re-installed the software more times than I can remember! Wireless printing is great in theory but EVERY time I want to print something I get an error message saying that 'the printer is off-line'. I am not tech-savvy - I just want a printer that prints when I need it and unfortunately this printer doesn't do that. Having searched on-line for a solution it seems as though thousands of other people have the same problem...
on 12 May 2013
Have had this printer for just about 10 days now, turned up with a faulty power supply but rather than mess about sending the whole lot back to Amazon I brought a new power supply from HP. This fixed the problem of the printer not powering up. Not the best of starts but so far printer has worked well, I am using Windows 8 and didn't have to install any drivers from the disk as windows downloaded and installed the correct driver. I know from experiance that HP try to load lots of bloatware on your computer, most of it is not needed.I am using it wireless and so far have my wife's laptop connected wireless which runs windows7, drivers downloaded from windows update and our Samsung Galaxy tab which required an HP app to allow printing, this works but its a bit clunky, could be made easier I'm sure. Cant comment on ink yet as I haven't had it long enough. Eprint dosn't seem to want to work but that's maybe due to me not installing all the software, cant see a use for it at this moment in time so not to bothered. Test photos seem ok and Duplex works ok. Will update this review after a couple of months of use.

Well 1 year on and am reasonably happy with the printer still, not to bad on ink use but once you start printing photos can go down quite quickly. I have never used the fax option so can't comment on that. The eprint function has never worked but again I don't have a use for that. I print lots of A4 photos and am very happy with the results, paper feed is clunky and have to feed photo paper in one sheet at a time, also ordinary paper sometimes will not load giving an out of paper message even when loaded with paper. If I could I would change the rating to three and a half stars but I see it's a lot cheaper now than when I brought it so quite good value for money.
on 28 December 2012
I was rather shocked at the size of the package when it arrived and wondered where it would fit, but this was simply because that it was extremely well packed so any handling would protect it. We use it for home use but on a daily basis. We haven't yet explored all that it can do but the printing is speedy, and most of all, the photographic printing is splendid and as near the original copies that I have ever seen. Yes, it does sound louder in use than our previous computers but it is not disturbingly so. We like it very much and would not swap it for any other make we have known.
on 8 May 2014
I really like the double sided printing and this HP printer is a pleasure to use. However, if you are using the current BT Home Hub 5 and you need to network your printer using the WiFi (rather then use a USB) then this printer will loose it's connection after 30 minutes or so. There is no cure for this. BT have replaced my HH5 and HP have replaced the printer. It makes no difference. Both companies blame each other for the problem but neither will offer a fix. Once you printer goes 'offline' then you will need to switch your printer off and on again, or you can re-boot your HH5 even though the printer will be displayed as active on the HUB service page!. Both methods can be quite inconvenient. Do not be tempted by HP forum advice about turning off the sleep mode on the printer or using a different channel on the HUB or even using different network names for the HUB's 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. None of these will work. The printers ePrint ability also becomes useless immediately the printer loses contact with the HUB. Whilst the printer will not network using BT HH5 it will work perfectly well with BT's HH3. You have been warned.
on 18 January 2013
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now so I think I've used it enough for a meaningful review. As a printer it seems largely fine with good quality output id slightly noisy workings. I do have some issues with the software though.

Installation was pretty easy despite the almost complete lack of instructions (hand on to the box - it has as much printed info on it as there is anywhere inside!). As with any printer do the install before connecting the printer. It assumes that you will want to go to their website to do the install rather than use the cd and it wants to install software you may not want so maybe keep an eye on what it is asking. It installed fine by printer cable on a windows 7 pc, it was also fine doing it via cd & wifi on a windows xp laptop.

I've printed both text and photos and the quality is good. I've set it to print draft by default - keeps the ink use down. My previous HP had a "fast draft" setting which was fine for rough printing but that setting is not available on this one - probably doesn't use enough liquid gold - sorry - ink! Duplex printing is good and a way of saving too. Photos printed just fine in "normal" as opposed to "best" mode.

The niggles are mainly because this is an "internet printer" and so you can print from anywhere in the world on it. Sadly or otherwise I decided I probably didn't need that - if I am not at home the printer will be off. However each time the printer is turned on it wants to update itself and tells me that internet content - which I don't really want - will not be available if I don't. I find that an irritation.

In passing it has a nice and helpful screen which even has videos of how to change ink, remove paper jams etc.

I'll add to this if anything crops up but I would say that this is a very good printer if you can get it while it is on offer - at full price I reckon there would be other options.

WARNING - 2 months in and the "setup" ink is low on two colours. If the new ink doesn't last noticeably longer this printer could prove expensive - I'll update after I've used the new cartridges for a bit. *updated* The printer warned me that a couple of cartridges were low then said no more. SO I have just spent half an hour wondering why my labels weren't printing (had trouble with them before) only to discover - despite there still being ink according to the printer - it had stopped printing black with no message. I really haven't used the printer all that much and consider the ink consumption pretty poor really. Equally while there are "XL" cartridges which have twice the capacity they seem to be twice the price. Changed to 3 star for now but will update in due course I guess.
88 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse