I needed a speaker that would give me quality sound in my LOUD old Land Rover and give me the same on holiday around the pool, campsite and in every room in the house.
I looked at loads of speakers, Jambone, Fox, Creative, Zeppelin, Bose etc.
I take my time and consider each alternative, reading reviews and grabbing as many as possible for tests.
They all...
Published on 29 Oct 2011 by White Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down.
I ordered the Disco after all the great reviews I read. To be fair it isn't a terrible speaker, its stylish, comes with a great case and plays at a great volume.

My problem is that I have come to the realisation that I am a real audiophile. I first wanted a bluetooth speaker when I heard the Bose Soundlink. I thought that I could opt for the cheaper...
Published on 6 Aug 2012 by Shey

5.0 out of 5 stars Supertooth Disco, best bluetooth speaker I could find under £100, 29 Oct 2011
I looked at loads of speakers, Jambone, Fox, Creative, Zeppelin, Bose etc.
They all had their story to tell, but the Supertooth won it for me.
Why?
Portability was key, so whilst it isn't as light or as small as a Jawbone or Fox, the smooth, basey, rich sound even at 1/4 volume was enough to ensure everyone was happy and able to play their bluetooth music from any ipod or phone any time, giving enough volume to trounce the inferior players. It's still easy to carry around and will fit into most bags comfortably.
My 1968 Land Rover has a diesel engine and is VERY loud on the road, but playing the Supertooth at half volume max bends my ears and impresses any (lucky?) passengers.
At night around the campfire, I encourage anyone with music to link into its bluetooth mode and we have lots of entertainment from everyone's music piece.
Volume, by the way, works from two stereo speakers pumping out 8W each and then there is the back-up of the 12W base speaker too. Oh goodness me, it's goooood.
Also, I was listening to it when a call came through on my phone. Music stopped, call came through on the speaker, just like a Jambone, at half the price.
Tonight I gave it to my daughter to try out on her new iphone and she thought it was simply ace, and wants one for Christmas.
Just call me Santa.
No wires, great sound, strong metallic system (no waffy soft speaker covers here) with padded case, this is simple and effective.
Charge it up in a couple of hours and off you go.
At one third volume it lasts all night; put it on charge and it's ready for the next days' ear caress.
Two year guarantee as well, and half the price of Jambone and Fox.
No brainer.
Have fun.
Cheers
Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I bought it for her birthday....., 25 April 2010
TheWRG (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
.... now I want one. Its a solid, good looking, fantastic sounding device that went down well as a gift for my girlfriend as she has loads of music on her Nokia 5800 xpress music phone. It lasts for ages at lower volumes but handles high volumes with ease. You can also skip tracks and enhance the bass from the speaker... useful. If you want a portable speaker that acts as a decent sound system that fills a good size room with quality sound (not party volumes) then this is for you. Highly, highly recommended. And that comes from a person who is dead fussy about sound quality. 5 stars easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could have hoped, 12 Sep 2009
W. Aitken (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this because the sound from my recently bought laptop is tinny and harsh. I can't listen to music or streamed radio with that kind of sound for long.

I wanted a bluetooth device that has good sound and which is reliable. For £80 you are not going to get a better piece of kit than this. From opening the box to getting it to work took maybe 3 minutes. The sound is great - full and true. The battery really does last the 10 hours claimed, and charges quickly.

I really couldn't ask for more - this is a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great connectability and sound, 14 May 2010
Once I got the bluetooths talking to each other it worked a treat. This speaker is much better than I ever imagined. I have over 10,000 tracks on a net book. It takes seconds to connect and has enough bass to easily fill a large room. buy it now. Don't forget you need an a2dp bluetooth usb adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 30 Dec 2009
L. R. Mooney "ZombieBusDriver" (chelmsford essex UK) - See all my reviews
Love music and needed to get a portable device to enjoy it when i am away from home. The problem was their was so many speakers to chose from. So i started to wade throught pages of speakers to hopefully find the right product.
Thankfully with the aid of peoples reviews i settled for the supertooth. Normally dont review products but had to after i was blown away by this product. If it was not for the reviews i might have over looked this great piece of kit.
Easy to use, quick to set up and as a bonus works with my netbook (samsung nc 10).
PS the pictures dont do it justice, plus having it your hands it feels well built. I recomened to anyone looking for a quality bluetooth compatable speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars SuperTooth vs Blackbox vs Boombox, 17 Nov 2009
After scouring the internet, and checking out many reviews on similar products (Parrot Boombox, Gear4 Blackbox etc), I settled on the Supertooth.

I ruled out the 'Boombox' due to cost. The 'Blackbox' was a close contender, and the LED equalizer it boasts appealed to me .
However, the prime reason for the speaker was to play music from my Nokia 5800XM phone, which fully supports the Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR, A2DP, AVRCP etc.
I found reviews which suggested the 'Blackbox' lacked sound quality via Bluetooth - to quote one review "...metal heads look away !..."
[To be fair though, the reviews said the 'Blackbox' was v. good when connected via cable, no noticeable loss in quality] whereas the Supertooth DISCO had excellent sound reproduction on either connection method.

The Supertooth WAS slightly more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

The case is very sturdy to protect the speaker, and you don't have to remove the speaker from it's case to use it, as there is a 'window' at the rear to allow the sub-woofer to work, just fold down the front and switch on.

The speaker goes into a standby mode when the music streaming is paused for any length of time, but still maintains the BT connection to the paired device.

The only minor thing I have noticed, and I suspect the culprit is the Nokia XM, not the speaker (as there is no mention of this elsewhere on the net); is occasionally the playback is momentarily interrupted for a second or two; but this always coincides with the phone doing 'something else'.

All in all, a great little speaker !!

5.0 out of 5 stars (Absolutely-Fantastic)tooth Disco, 9 April 2010
I bought this product on the basis of the good reviews across the internet for it. And what can I say except I agree with them? This is a fantastic piece of kit. Very powerful, with bass strong enought to put out a lighter!
Seamlessly connected with my Samsung NC10 PC and iPod touch and it's very useful to be able to control them with the buttons on the speaker. Spotify on the NC10 is completely controlled by the speaker while the iPod can only be paused by it (which is a bit of a shame but Apple's fault, not the Supertooth's).
Another slight niggle is the AC adaptor makes a very quiet but high pitched noise while charging, but it's barely audible so doesn't bother you if your more than a metre away.

Absolutely fantastic, thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its all about the watts, 30 Jun 2014
I've compared this to a number of different bluetooth systems, and its pretty much the best in terms of value for money. I've had no issues with sound quality - although some more audiophile reviewers have suggested that high end fidelity is lacking. In the real world you'll be using this on a patio during a barbecue, or on a canal boat's roof, or sitting round a campfire with people shooting the breeze. You're not going to be sitting intently next to it trying to work out if the strings in Mozart's Idomeneo sound just as they did that time you listened to the Berlin Philharmonic at the Royal Albert Hall. One of your drunken mates is going to ask you to whack on Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins - in which case volume and bass are what you're after. Blue tooth pairing is pretty painless - hold down the power button for five seconds so that you can pair, or turn on normally if your phone had already paired up. Your phone will need to be able to send 0000 as a password, which may be why I could never get my HP TouchPad to pair up. If that happens, or you have an older analogue source, you can just use a standard headphone cable (supplied). The case has a handy carrying handle, the Disco does stereo and optional Bass Boost, it can be used from within the protective case and it's louder and meatier than any of the subsequent Disco products (Supertooth Disco 2,3 and 4). Due to the volume, I'd rate this kit on a par with more expensive gear like the Minx Go, which I've also used. Obviously the sky's the limit with Bluetooth speakers, but for the 80 quid I spent on this one (30/05/2014) I came away feeling like I'd found the best output at the price. Incidentally, I've worked as a sound engineer and I'm a jobbing musician - I really didn't have any problems with the sound quality on the Disco. If this is your first bluetooth speaker you're going to be very happy with this kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, 25 Oct 2013
Was worried being wireless sound quality would be poor, but very pleased with sound!
Good purchase and Bluetooth to iPad perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed., 2 July 2014
Joshua Sutterby "navaticus" (the happy hunting grounds) - See all my reviews
I've been in mind to get a portable speaker of some kind for a while now, and after a lot of trawling around I settled on the Supertooth Disco 4. The reviews where round good, and, frankly, it looks pretty cool.

It feels solidly built and looks pleasantly stylish, in a basic kind of way, and not so big it doesn't fit in a back pack uncomfortably. The connectivity is great, nice and quick, and the addition of the aux lead is dead handy as well. Charging is relatively fast, and the battery life on it is very impressive. So far I think the longest I've had it playing continuously for is about 6 hours. I haven't had it at full volume yet, but its been plenty loud enough relaxing down the beach with a group of mates, at only at about half volume on an ipod, and I haven't heard any distortion at higher volumes. Personally I would have loved a little more bass, but I am being a little over expectant as I'm a dub and jungle fanatic. In all honesty I'm very impressed and very happy with the sound it produces. You can clearly hear through the spectrum. The bass is warm, but not intrusive, and the highs sound crisp, but without sounding at all tinny, and the mids are in seated perfectly.

Overall, very happy, and well worth the just under £50.