4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely end to the series
Michele Gorman has given us our first taste of christmas with this witty novella.

Through 120 pages we follow Hannah on her quest to get Sam to propose and along the way we discover that although Hannah's head is telling her marriage is what she wants, her heart isn't so sure.

This is a lovely story, with easy to relate to characters. And even though...
Published 21 months ago by Kirsty 'Love of a Good Book'

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine wrap up to a fine chick lit series
Warning: May contain spoilers for earlier books in the series.

Published 20 months ago by Hannah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely end to the series, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City series Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

This is a lovely story, with easy to relate to characters. And even though the main part of the story follows Hannah working on her feelings, there is also the proposed sale of the firm that Hannah works for as a sub plot to the story.

Hannah features in a series of books by Michele Gorman but the joy of this novella is that it recap's just enough of previous books meaning you can pick this up and follow the story straight away.

Whilst the ending was a complete surprise to me (definitely not the way I thought it was heading) it was also my favourite part of the book and this wasn't because I wanted it to end but because it concluded the book and the series perfectly.

A lovely weekend read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, enjoyable read!, 7 Oct 2012
I wasn't sure if I wanted to read about anything to do with Christmas, but once I started reading 'The Twelve Days to Christmas' I couldn't stop. A very good read, enjoyable, fun, with some seriousness in it, too. Very well written, I loved the way some of the scenes were described, with lots of funny and witty descriptions. A book I could read at bedtime, as well as at lunchtime, and in the evening with a glass of wine. I know feel I really want to read Single in the City and Misfortune Cookie and I shall get them before Christmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun book and easy to read., 1 Oct 2012
When I say easy to read, it doesn't mean that it's (in my opinion,) not a good book. This is the third book in the 'Single in the City' series by Michele Gorman. I'm new to this series, having only read The Twelve Days of Christmas.' A book about Christmas, well it had me hooked from the beginning but it soon became clear that this was a light hearted (very welcome,) and fun story too. Hannah is a good heroine and seems to have real, relatable flaws but is still likeable. The pace was good. I read it in one sitting and left it with a smile on my face. I'm going to go and read the first two books in the series.
If you want something light and fun and a nice escape then I recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine wrap up to a fine chick lit series, 16 Nov 2012
Warning: May contain spoilers for earlier books in the series.

Well now. I wasn't expecting that. At the end of Misfortune Cookie we saw Hannah make a break from Sam who was just too hurtful to her. Yes! That was a great thing! I was so happy to see her liberate herself but then between then and The Twelve Days to Christmas, I don't know how this happened, but suddenly Sam is going with her to meet her parents and she is positive that he's going to propose but wants to be sure before he asks her dad's permission so proceeds to try to convince him in various hilarious ways (the trip to the Chinese sex shop was my personal favourite) to propose beforehand so that she knows how she will react and not waste a journey.

It's a very quick read being a novella at only 120 pages long and features a strongly happy ending which every Christmas book needs. I enjoyed reading it a lot and felt the rewritten 'Twelve Days of Christmas' lines at the start of each chapter really added to it. Not only do they provide a festive feel that I wasn't sure I felt with the main story, but they made me giggle.

I am quite sad that there won't be any more books in the Single in the City series but I am glad that we saw more of Hannah than just what we saw in Single in the City. There are too many chick lit standalones that leave me longing for more so thank you to Michele for that! And The Twelve Days to Christmas progressed and wrapped up Hannah's story fantastically well.

The Twelve Days to Christmas can be read without having read the first two in the series, in fact if you look towards the end of the post I have linked a review from somebody who has done this, but I honestly think that this series is best as a whole and you'll enjoy it much more if you've read all of Hannah's expatriate adventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab ending to the Single in the City series, 11 Oct 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Twelve Days to Christmas is the third book in the Single in the City series by Michele Gorman that follows the exploits of Hannah, the good thing though is that this can be read as a standalone story.

Hannah is now living in Hong Kong with her boyfriend Sam and thinks that he's going to propose during their holiday to the US to spend Christmas with her family. She knows that she loves him but she doesn't really know if she wants him to especially as he doesn't really know the real her, and because she's been keeping secrets from him, so she decides to try and get him to propose before they go away to see what her reaction will be which leads to some very interesting moments.

The beginning of each chapter begins with an interlude in the format of lyrics from the 12 days of Christmas, a very witty and very fun idea. This was a light-hearted, easy book to read with plenty of humour throughout including a hilarious situation that Hannah finds herself in when she's stung by a jellyfish. This is essentially a love story but will there be a happy ever after ending?

Normally when a book contains characters that have appeared in previous books I like to read these first so that I can get an understanding as to who they are and what's happened to them in the past but as I haven't managed to read Single in the City or Misfortune Cookie, despite having copies of both in my TBR pile, I've read this on its own and picked the storyline up with no problem at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, quick Christmas read, 11 Oct 2012
The Twelve Days to Christmas is the third and final instalment in Michele Gorman's Single in the City series. I've already read Misfortune Cookie but it doesn't matter if you haven't read any of the other books as everything is explained within The Twelve Days to Christmas. The Twelve Days to Christmas picks up a few months down the line from Misfortune Cookie and although Hannah loves Sam, she isn't so sure their relationship will last, especially as she has been keeping a big secret from him.

I liked the beginning of each chapter, which parodied the song 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' with the words changed to fit each chapter. It was fun and also acted as a countdown to Hannah's plan.

The Twelve Days of Christmas is an unusual Christmas read as it takes place in Hong Kong where there isn't any of the typical snow and freezing weather and the first scene takes place on the beach but it was a fun, quick read that rounded off the series nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 21 Nov 2012
Ms. Alison Taylor (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really lovely love modern love story set around Christmas,would really recommend this to everyone it brings smiles and a warm glow

4.0 out of 5 stars the Twelve Days to Christmas, 21 Nov 2012
This was a clever idea and made an enjoyable read at this time of year ( one month or so til Christmas). The location of Hong Kong was interesting and well described. Humorous, with well-drawn characters.
Recommended for a light, enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Aug 2013
I have read all three of these books and think it's an amazing love story! . I'm a typical love fan do this book was I deal for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Title nearly put me off..., 18 Jan 2013
because like some of the other reviewers, I didn't particularly want to read a 'Christmas book'. Nevertheless, having enjoyed the previous two books so much I decided to carry on and am so pleased I did.

Twelve Days finds Hannah having navigated a rocky road to get her man, and things haven't always gone according to plan. Now it looks like she's got it nailed, but hey, this is Hannah we're talking about - and in 12 days there's plenty of mayhem and melodrama. I wouldn't have thought it possible to coherently cover so much ground in such a short novella, but the length turned out to be just right and kept the reader moving swiftly towards the very satisfactory, if not particularly obvious outcome.

Only thing is, the ends are so neatly tied up, it seems unlikely that we'll see Hannah again, which is a pity - but I'm sure Michelle Gorman has plenty of new mad cap characters up her sleeve. I look forward to meeting them!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›